SATA vs IDE Optical drives

Any hardware related topics go here.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Websense is blocking Prophecy for me from this side, but from a look at the descriptions, Option 1 has Lightscribe, 3 doesn't. Lightscribe is a nice feature, but only if you are willing to dosh more out on discs... I havent had the fun of using it myself yet, but would get one with that feature just for the added benefit.

What is the price difference?

I like Liteon, but the Asoos should be good as well...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

*stops smacking himself on the head just to post this*

yeah I noticed that only after an MSN contact said it :P

and not that much price difference... bout R40 but if I do not need it, would rather not get it as I won't be using the writer that much anyway...

*continues the head smacking* :D
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Lightscribe is the ability to write an "image" onto the top of the cd, IE making it look pretty and profesional. It's not a must-have feature although it is anice feature to have, but as Slasher said, you need to spend more $$$ on cd's as you then need to buy the lightscribe(able?) cd's
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

What happens when you accidently do a JBOD raid array with a sata optical and say whatever hdd? :P

epic failure? :lol:
sea

Post by sea »

only thing I can think of then is that a virtual drive emulation program "slipped" into your slipstream
Tried with non slipstreamed disk, only add on the Sata 2 drivers.

Same problem.
I love work,

I could watch it all day.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Ok sea, then I have no idea whats going on with your drive/pc
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

I'm considering buying SATA ODDs when I upgrade my PC. I like the idea of less cable clutter, and that each drive will have its own SATA channel (no sharing like with IDE).

Just a question: when I insert a CD/DVD into my ODD, XP (an especially Windows Explorer) "freeze" for a moment as the newly inserted disk is read. Is this because of a) XP, or b) the IDE interface?

I am hoping it is the latter, then hopefully the SATA interface will solve that.

TIA
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Iv never had any problems with any PC iv used freezing once I insert a CD/DVD into the optical drive.

Iv only ever used IDE optical drives as well ;)
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Domino_PhoeniX
Permanently Banned

Post by Domino_PhoeniX »

also one of the problems no one seemed to mention is that if youve had a computer for more that 5 years or so, you would have built up quite a collection of ide drives (well i have anyways) and the fact that they are only giving you one ide channel with the new boards ands four or six sata connectors suggests that you just buy the sata one and keep the ide open for your old drives. unless you have many sata drives and dont see the point wasting one of the ports on an optical drive. i suppose it goes both ways.

back to work