Far Cry 2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
SurvivOrX

Post by SurvivOrX »

Once again, Rayne I agree with you.

Crysis was another story. They make it LOOK good, but having regrowing trees, fires that spread, and natural weather, doesnt do anything guys.

It looks nice, I sure would love to watch clouds form, but it changing anything guys, and we all know that.

Also I agree, rather a MMO, people play it alot, I mean amagine in Rappelz you see it get overcast, then next thing you know you are playing in the rain, THAT would rock, because people will be there to see it. Racing through an african village, fighting for like 1 minute, then moving on, you wont notice rain forming, and a fire spreading...

Sorry, but to me, this is practically pointless, wheres the logic.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Rayne wrote:Oh ffs, any given FPS sports on average a mere 10 odd hour single player campaign. Now I don't know about you mate, but should I light my lawn right now I assure you it will still be burned should I go take a look at it tomorrow. So if this tech as claimed was developed and implemented to further advance realistic gameplay they fkdup pretty bad in this case.

This is a waste in this genre. Implement it in MMO's in which people play years on end. There such a tech has a place. Here it does not.
Agree 100%...real dumb idea...it actually takes away from the realism they are trying to create. You burn a lawn one day....I can guarantee you it will still be burnt a week later and black...If I play FPS and trees can be shot with branches breaking...if I go back to that same place later in the game...I expect to see that branch still broken. Thats realistic... :roll:
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
DuncanMcCloud

Post by DuncanMcCloud »

Agreed. Its like killing enemies and they come back when u leave the area....sigh sigh sigh. (fable anyone?)

That annoyed the cr#p outta me.
Squirly

Post by Squirly »

... and if the time you spend in-game (remember, time flies when you're not in real-life ;) ) equals several weeks or months?

Fact is, none of you idiots have any clue as to how they implemented it yet and you're already denouncing it as stupid. The same as when some people heard that you can shoot trees in half in crysis - the fact that the environment changes and hence has an impact on your style and gameplay is something that's completely lost on some of you.

Same deal with vegetation that grows back over time. It doesn't just pop up. Some of you are jumping to conclusions so that you can get all indignant and huffed up. It's incredibly daft.
SurvivOrX

Post by SurvivOrX »

True, but exactly how does regrowing trees help gameplay? If it takes a while, you will be far gone by the time they grow back.

I am being serious, not jumping to conclusions.
Maddmatt

Post by Maddmatt »

SurvivOrX wrote:True, but exactly how does regrowing trees help gameplay? If it takes a while, you will be far gone by the time they grow back.

I am being serious, not jumping to conclusions.
Well I doubt the game constantly tracks the exact status of every single tree in the game world. So they wont be in the exact same condition if you came back later with the same individual branches broken.
I'm sure the system they are using is simplified in some ways. There are other important things for your PC to handle while you're playing a game.

If it was realistic, no PC would be able to do the calculations fast enough to be useful in a game. No real point making the tree growing system realistic anyway :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Squirly wrote:It's incredibly daft.
So is regrowing vegetation :? I am with Rayne and the others. What is the point of an FPS game? Shoot n kill not prune your rose garden :? While the idea is cool lets face it once you have finished the game you wont be going back to it just so you can watch the grass grow? I wonder if someone will make a mod so that you can watch the paint dry? :?

As Rayne said its in the wrong genre...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SurvivOrX

I will admit.

Post by SurvivOrX »

I will admit, the realisticly spreading fires, WILL change gameplay. I can just amagine a fire moving from one house, and burning another. That would be awesome :D.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

The tree regrowth thing is stupid. Whose gonna notice?! All they are doing is stealing our precious frames.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

watch the paint dry?
QFT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: sig material to :lol: :lol:
Zenbaas

Post by Zenbaas »

Squirly wrote:... and if the time you spend in-game (remember, time flies when you're not in real-life ;) ) equals several weeks or months?

Fact is, none of you idiots have any clue as to how they implemented it yet and you're already denouncing it as stupid. The same as when some people heard that you can shoot trees in half in crysis - the fact that the environment changes and hence has an impact on your style and gameplay is something that's completely lost on some of you.

Same deal with vegetation that grows back over time. It doesn't just pop up. Some of you are jumping to conclusions so that you can get all indignant and huffed up. It's incredibly daft.
I agree to a large extent with you here. I think its a cool idea and wether it directly impacts your gameplay is not completely the point. Also when you walk on the grass it stays flat or depressed where you walked, or if you drove there with your buggy.
The wind also influences all particles, be it falling or broken branches or dust.

I watched the whole 25min presentation and it truly looks amazing.

If growing trees is such an issue then just dont buy or play the game, simple :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

think of it this way where do you want your processor cycles to go? AI or trees growing through your foot?

theres an interesting thought you destroy the tree stand where it lived and let it grow, I wonder if we will get a new definition for the sun shines out his ... :lol:

Look I dont mind it either way but I would prefer smarter AI as said before fuzzy logic FTW!
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Zenbaas

Post by Zenbaas »

I know what your saying. From the presentation the AI looked fairly impressive.
SurvivOrX

Post by SurvivOrX »

I dont want my computers resources wasted on Tree's -_-".
Zenbaas

Post by Zenbaas »

SurvivOrX wrote:I dont want my computers resources wasted on Tree's -_-".
Well it will be :twisted: So start hugging 'em!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Zenbaas wrote:
I can see it now "Far Cry 2: The only game where you can hug tree's" rofl...
Zenbaas

Post by Zenbaas »

Anakha56 wrote:
Zenbaas wrote:
I can see it now "Far Cry 2: The only game where you can hug tree's" rofl...
It will be a new Hippie gamers revolution...cyber love 8O Oooh wait..no...uhmmm NVM :twisted:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Well, of course I have to disagree, PCF just wouldn't be the same if we all lived in harmony, so please, don't take the following personally :P

Nube-lets! Vegatative regrowth makes absolute sense, it would leave the game unbalanced otherwise. Amazing factoid: Fire =fuel, oxygen and heat energy :P

OBVIOUSLY going around burning stuff is going to deplete your fuel supply, ie. Trees, so there has to be a replacement mechanism. And lets not pretend you kiddies aren't gonna play with the nice videogame fire like its Crysis chicken ;)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk