Vista Ultimate x86 vs x64

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Technically, the DSP version can only be sold preinstalled on a computer built for you by one of Microsoft's partners. So when you activate it on one computer, it assumes that you bought it with that computer, and it will not allow you to reactivate on another computer. When you try to do so, it recognises different hardware, and then you have to call Microsoft activation and explain to them why you are now trying to activate it on a different computer than the one on which you originally activated it. If you have a good reason--for example, your motherboard blew and they replaced it with a different one--you will be allowed to, but if you tell them that you just decided to activate it on another computer instead, they will tell you that this is outside your license agreement and you're not allowed to do so.

So, no, you cannot activate it on your notebook and then later on your desktop, unless you're willing to explain to Microsoft why you are doing so, and shade the truth a little in the process.

Of course, you can just install it and use it for 30 days without activating, and then make up your mind. But once you have activated, you are legally bound to use a DSP license on that computer.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I thought DSP meant it belongs to a certain piece of hard ware and OEM belongs to the pc as a whole.

If i bought a mouse with the DSP version then surely as long as i use the DSP version on the pc using that mouse i should be within licence ?

This is rather confusing. :roll:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

DSP == OEM without any branded packaging...

DSP = Delivery Service Partner
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

The one is sourced through the manufacturer, (HP/Dell etc), while the other is sourced through a retailer of pre-built machines.

There has *never* been a version licensed on a single piece of kit.... ever. anyone flogging xp with a mouse is looking for a visit from the pinstripe-and-no-humour brigade.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Rustypup >>

Yet so many retailers are offering this as a way of selling DSP off to the unsuspecting consumer. Just as well i asked.

Anyways, if i bought the Retail version, I would then be allowed to install the software on as many machines as i wish as long as it is only installed on 1 machine at any given point in time.

PS, those links for the licences take forever to open. still waiting since i read your post.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

In many forums and websites it states DSP can be sold with qualifying components. Does anybody know what these qualifying components are ?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Mclaren wrote:Yet so many retailers are offering this as a way of selling DSP off to the unsuspecting consumer.
having purchased some kit on the weekend, i can just imagine where this would lead... that spend alone would have given me 18 DSP licenses, (if this were permitted)....
Mclaren wrote:In many forums and websites it states DSP can be sold with qualifying components.
it can be sold on once, and once only. The seller has to sell it on the original machine. This could be taken to mean that the final destination should be a machine with the original installed drive, equivalent cpu, etc, etc...
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

rustypup wrote:the quote is not entirely accurate... IIRC, the original user can opt to change the installed machine once only. thereafter, the license cannot be moved back again, (well, not legally).. <edit>this refers to the DSP flavours</edit>

the DSP version lives and dies on the 'original' machine.

you can check out the ultimate license here Warning! - pdf...

if that link gives you issues, you can browse the MS licenses from here

i've only just spotted that ultimate is limited to max 2 CPUs - wonder what this means for quad-core?
That would be 2 physical processors unless MS changed the rules when Vista was released
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

DSP can be sold to individual it doesn't even have to be sold with components. Newegg sells packages of dsp copies with 3 licenses.

The only thing to know is you won't get support from ms from dsp copies. you have to get support from the system builder. And thats why the public can also buy dsp copies because of the system builder part it allows the public to build their own pc's.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

DSP can be sold to individual it doesn't even have to be sold with components. Newegg sells packages of dsp copies with 3 licenses.

The only thing to know is you won't get support from ms from dsp copies. you have to get support from the system builder. And thats why the public can also buy dsp copies because of the system builder part it allows the public to build their own pc's.

Thats what i thought, and thats what a lot of retailers and websites are saying too.

I think i will contact MS and ask for an official reply to the question. there is still to much contradicting info being passed around.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Interfan wrote:DSP can be sold to individual it doesn't even have to be sold with components.
that's just disturbing... and cannot be doing MS any favours... i wonder if they thought this through...

duly corrected.. thanks! :wink:
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

well when it comes to the support side of things, retail maybe the way to go, however, their support centres aren't the best places to get help either. I generally find what i need support wise in a forum of sorts.

My only concern with DSP is that i do not want to be locked into only being able to ever load up on one machine. what if i sell that machine or upgrade, which i may have to do if something breaks.

Will still check with MS today.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Mclaren wrote:well when it comes to the support side of things, retail maybe the way to go, however, their support centres aren't the best places to get help either. I generally find what i need support wise in a forum of sorts.

My only concern with DSP is that i do not want to be locked into only being able to ever load up on one machine. what if i sell that machine or upgrade, which i may have to do if something breaks.

Will still check with MS today.
DSP is tied to your hardware. Once you activate that copy it's tied to that specific hardware. Atleast it should be with xp if you had a dsp copy you could trick the call in centre people into giving you a new activation code. Not sure if this still works with vista.

But with retail you can transfer to a new pc anytime as long as you don't have your copy installed on 2 pc's at the same time. Retail versions isn't tied to the pc but rather to the owner who bought the retail copy. So it goes to whatever pc he/she is using.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer