MY WC PROJECT (19/03/07 - NEED HELP)

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
inf3ct10n

MY WC PROJECT (19/03/07 - NEED HELP)

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok guys, im having a bit of a dilemma here, im currently looking for 2 more fans for my Triple Airplex Evolution Radiator... The Single fan im currently using uses a thermal temperature connector (the little one that plugs onto mobo)

which gives it power.

As my Radiator is going ontop of my PC, i will be using a tube of sorts to hide the cable going into my pc frm my fans ontop of my raddy...

However, I was planning on joining 3 fans that use the thermal temperature connection Together, so that all three use 1 connector, but i was told it would draw too much power and blow.

On the other hand, i dont have any Open/Available Molex connectors, so using a fan that connects with a molex connector could also be a bit of a hassle.

Any Ideas On How to Connect 3 Fans to 1 Connector? And If it will Work/How Else Can I do it?

Please, some input would be apreciated, cmon DAE :P i know you've got some whacky ideas :P
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Use Terminal/Connector Blocks

They look like this:

Mod a molex extention that you per say stripped from a fan or an old psu. Cut off a red and black wire and make sure that those cut wires are properly isolated. Then connect the yellow and black wire into seperate holes on the same side of the block. Then at the other side you connect all the fan's black cables to the opposite hole of the Molex's black wire. Do the same for the Red/Yellow fan cables. Screw them VERY tightly, and as extra security solder the 4 ends closed. Now you can plug in the molex and you will have 3 fans running from one molex. Voila, neat and tidy. If I didn't have homework to do I'd build you one quickly to show.

ED: Oh wait, no free molexes you say. Okay, then use a fan's molex that has a male and female side, problem solved
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: MY WC PROJECT (19/03/07 - NEED HELP)

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

inf3ct10n wrote:Please, some input would be apreciated, cmon DAE :P i know you've got some whacky ideas :P
Hahahaha!! :D

Okay here's my advice.

Wikid's suggestion is a very good one, however, it involves Chocolate blocks (Terminal Blocks) and i dont trust them. I used them once before, and made the screws extremely tight, but the wires found a way to get out anyway and kill the PSU i was using.

So i would do what wik has suggested, but without the chocolate blocks, i would just solder all the wires. It's a lot more work, but it's 100% stable and secure that way ;)

If you dont understand what i mean, i'll concoct something in the morning and show you with pics. Let me know :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Do it the right way. Modding takes time.

Thats all i am going to say.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok but now lets say the fan has 3 thermal Sensors + 3 sets of Molex Connectors, I Strip the Molex Connectors and join those up to give me 3 fans running off 1 molex connector..

what do i do with the thermal sensors?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I have no clue what you are talking about there. How does a thermal sensor look, work?
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

that a bit confusing infection... a fan with 3 thermal sensors?

and isn't what you talking bout the fan speed control?

if you've seen a temp sensor you would know it sometimes is like two wires, joined at the end with, don't know exactly what it is, a plastic like thing that usually goes where you want to monitor temp...

I know cause my bro has the CM Cooldrive which has temp sensors...

Also, I don't think it would work that good, as you are trying to control 3 fans instead of 1, which I don't know if a program would work right... Ok can understand it would maybe detect the 3 as one, which would end up making the speed of all 3 the same when you change it, but just not sure if it would be accepted this way...

EDIT: Ok trying to get visual on the cable... Would have 3 wires, black+red+white... Black and red would usually be associated with the power so the white would be the fan speed control...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I think he's talking about the third wire on the fan, that 2510 wire. The one that gives the motherboard the RPMs...

Is that the one? If so, cut it off, it's not necessary.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

yeh dae, i am... but umm the fan im currently using GETS ITS POWER from that plug

like this one.

so lets say i had 3 fans like that, how wud i connect them.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

inf3ct10n wrote:yeh dae, i am... but umm the fan im currently using GETS ITS POWER from that plug
What do you mean? That's not possible as that point isn't designed to give power.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Wouldn't a direct 3 wire connection work maybe?

black+black+black
red+red+red
white+white+white

connected to a terminal connector

and exact same 3 wires coming out of terminal

??? :?

EDIT: Yeah also didn't think that one gives power...
Last edited by Off-The-Chart on 20 Mar 2007, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

That point gives power on my pc. And my previous mobo. The sys fans? Or am I confused? Its the meds.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Dont connect the 3 white wires together. Because different fans have different ways of controlling speed. Some merely require a voltage change while others require PWM control. Some other fans makes the wire an output for RPM and the speed is adjusted by adjusting the actual supply to the fan. My opinion: Just connect the red and black and have them run at full speed. Unless you know that each fan has the same connections. I still wouldn't connect the white wires because you might get different readings and in the end cause damage to your board... you don't want that :wink:
WoolyBadBaba

Post by WoolyBadBaba »

Samaya's right. Usually, the white wire is used to send a signal to the motherboard, for monitoring the RPM of the fan. You CANNOT connect those types of wires together. (Unless you use diodes, but let's not go there...).

If you don't mind losing the ability to monitor fan speeds, just connect the wires that supply power to the fan together, in parallel. (red + red + red.....black+ black + black). I would recommend connecting them to a molex connector instead of the motherboard, as 3 fans are going to draw more current than 1, and I don't know whether the fan connector on your motherboard will be able to supply enough current. Just buy a simple molex Y-splitter, and connect the red + black wires from the fan to the +12V wires of the molex Y-splitter (which are yellow + black).

If you really must retain the ability to monitor speeds, then connect the power wires from the fan as above, but keep the white wire from only ONE fan connected to the motherboard. This will only monitor the speed of one fan.

Hope I helped.

C2D E4300 | ASUS P5B-MX WiFi | 1GB Kingston DDR2-667 | XFX GeForce 7600 GS

"Most people end up going to bed when
they're not sleepy and waking up when they are."
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

My 2 cents if you have the budget?

Get a decent fancontroller, and hook 'em up to that...no more worries about damaging your mobo, or what wire goes where.

My thinking is Mobo = 1000's of rands
fancontroller = Couple 100's of rands :)
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Actually, if the fans are the same you can connect the white wires together. My Case came with two 120mm fans installed, both connected to one plug to be used on the mobo. The rpm is measured correctly too. (1500rpm)
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers