Slow Linux

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
zip

Slow Linux

Post by zip »

Can any one tell me why linux is so slow

I had Redhat 7.1 and now have ver 9

and both is slow.

Maybe it is my setup.

Ive got a 850Mhz CPU
256 MB RAM and 64Video memory

Ive got a /Boot partition of 50MB
a 200MB Swap partition and the rest is for the / Native partition.
On HDA1
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

how abt your window manager KDE & Gnome are resource heavy

try some like fluxbox or WindowMaker
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
Nitroflea

Post by Nitroflea »

mmmm....gentoo.... :D :twisted:

Well...
Try minimize the number of progs and servers that run at startup. I think the default redhat installation starts a lot of servers, daemons, and such things at bootup.
Also, what skunky said, the version of kde that comes with redhat 9 is sluggish. The gnome release ain't great either, but still better than kde I'd say.
I think your swap partition should have been a little bigger also, but that won't make such a big difference.

...but as I said. Gentoo, try it, you'll never turn back (Oh, that is, if you have an adsl line and are willing to endure a good couple of days of compiling :D )
"If a programmer can't quote entire Monty Python movies from memory, he or she has no business being a programmer."
Simon

Post by Simon »

I would also recommend Gentoo for speed, but your problem could be your swap partition. There is nothing wrong with your hardware, I had several distributions runnig on a K7-500 with no speed problems.

I would increase my swap partition to as big as possible, while keeping it under 500MB. 200 is not big enough for a system with 256MB RAM.

If you use Gnome, try using fluxbox as your windows manager as opposed to the default metacity. KDE doesn't leave you with many choices on that front. Gnome and KDE are Desktop Environments NOT Windows Managers - there is a difference.

You're also using a very old distro. Try upgrading to Gentoo if you know what you're doing, if you don't have the time, checkout Mandrake 9.2 (10 is almost done) or Fedora.
zip

Fast Fast Linux

Post by zip »

Nitroflea - I did what you said and it worked it is faster alot faster.

I stoped services like HTTP POP3 Samba and all of that stuff i dont need.

And aloso i canceled gnome and kde and ran window maker it is quite cool and it works fine.

Thanks all for the help.

Does any one know if you get enligtment for RH9 i had that on RH7.1
Nitroflea

Post by Nitroflea »

Kewl man, glad to ghelp! hehe :D
"If a programmer can't quote entire Monty Python movies from memory, he or she has no business being a programmer."
Simon

Re: Fast Fast Linux

Post by Simon »

zip wrote:Does any one know if you get enligtment for RH9 i had that on RH7.1
Yes, you do. I would switch to apt4rpm if you are going to stick with Redhat, elightment is on one of the apt4rpm repositories.
Desktop: Gentoo 1.4 - Linux 2.6.4
Server: Gentoo 1.4 - Linux 2.6.1
Splat-box: Mandrake 10 _cooker_
On a CD in my Pocket: PCLinuxOS