what do you suggest?

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
waxi

what do you suggest?

Post by waxi »

I'm in the photography buisness for 10 years, I have being dabbling with some sofware and mostly being playing around with a small digital Camera. The thing is I work with 35mm SLR Cameras, and now want to switch over to the big Digital guns. Other than the Camera I am getting. what do I need to get in a PC ie. big hard drive, big ram, big graphics card - will that improve the picture or time for processing. What makes digital editing work better and faster, is it hardware or software like, Corel photo paint or Adobe, or JASC which I'm also using.
I need a run down on the must haves and the nice to haves???????????
TNX
Waxi
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

The thing is I've used Photoshop on my old PC and it took forever to get going and editing pics was a nightmare so ja, prob the hardware is the way to go. Im recomending a CPU, RAM and maybe a new HDD....I may be wrong though. There a couple of guys on here that know more about the topic. I can recommend some hardware though since I work with Photoshop and do photography...not quite 10 years though :wink:
LinkX

Post by LinkX »

silv3rback wrote: Im recomending a CPU, RAM and maybe a new HDD
yah, would also recommend that
if you have the money get a 15000RPM HDD :roll:
__________Image__________
Image---I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...---Image
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Im guessing that you gotta PC already right?? Dunoo, anyway...

Try look at getting 1GB RAM and a 160GB HDD should do you fine. SATA is alot faster than ATA so I would recommend the SATA drive.
Mobo should be a LGA775 and a P4 531 3GHz CPU should get you through the image processing pretty fast! Its the average kinda rig (I think :?: )

Let me know if you needing links or a price range on certain things.
syndicate is always very helpfull when it comes to giving prices and so on...Im just here to post pretty pics and links to online stores if you need them :wink:
reyals

Post by reyals »

I love photoshop cs. hardwarewise i would suggest you buy a supercomputer with terrabytes of ram, a multi thz cpu with 50 cores and darpa's data bank. Realistically, 1 gb of ram, dual core cpu (for listening to music, running photoshop and whatever else your heart desires) and a nice 120gb sata drive(depends on how many photos you take and if you play games etc.), a nice gfx card would go down good as well, if you use it for photos only you can get a 'cosy' fx5500 or bigger, watch out for anything with o 300 or lower in its name(x300/6200etc.), those cards are for features and not enough performance to back it up. nuf said, back to drawing...
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Im using a GeForce FX5200 Ultra at the moment. Its ok but as soon as I start editing large images it freaks out a little. A 256mb 128bit/256bit GPU should work wonders. Im looking at that..if I can find the cash somewhere
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

What makes digital editing work better and faster, is it hardware or software like, Corel photo paint or Adobe, or JASC which I'm also using.
Definitely hardware, the software is a great help but to run software like Photoshop you need a reasonably good system for it to work properly. It depends what you want to do, I've only ever used Adobe Photoshop so learning something else seems like a waste of time to me, I just use Photoshop, works fine. But definitely research it and be sure to get the product that best suits your needs.

I think the RAM thing to get is a lot of RAM, at least 1GB. Then obviously a fast CPU and newish graphics card. Try and get a graphics card that is aimed at the multimedia segment more than the gaming segment, provided you have the money these are a lot better.

Just a side note I recently upgraded my PC and changed from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, and it makes a big different in Adobe Photoshop, it now loads and I can work with images a lot faster than I could before ;)

I don't think hard drive performance is a major thing, not with images at least. But don't go for anything less than a SATA II drive. With as much space as you'll need for photos. I'd go for 200 GB since they now pretty cheap and then you have a lot of space to play around with.