AM2 Overclocking help...

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Coldon

AM2 Overclocking help...

Post by Coldon »

here's my setup:

4200 x2 winchester core (2x1mb l1)
epox mf570sli
1024mb x 1 hynix ram (its **** dont even bother telling me)
sparkle 7800gt
400w procase psu

i've dropped the multi on the chip to 4x, and i can get to 280htt kinda stable, the blend and large prime tests fail with a miscalculation error...

my ram is set on ddr 667 speeds and default timings (running in 1t mode) why do i think it should be in 2t... the timings are horrendous 5/5/5/15

cpu speed is at 1020 and yet it still fails the prime tests... another interesting thing is that the motherboard wotn post at anything higher than 185htt...

now i wanna be able to get the board stable at 185 before moving on to the ram and cpu...

i've tried upping the ht voltage and chipset voltage by a single step on both and it hasnt helped, should i try push it up further. i've also left the ht multiplier on auto, maybe i should try set it manually as well. what is an appropriate range on the am2 platform?

any ideas on what might be stopping me from getting it stable at those speeds?

also i ran the nvidia auto overclocking and got a hell of a fright, the damn thing set my gpu to 488 from 400!!!! barely touched the ram put it at 1100...

any hepl would be appreciated... the last time i overclocked anything was a barton setup so this htt stuff is still a bit new to me...

other things i checked my voltage and the 12v rail is at 11.9v and the 3.3v is at 3.2v, they are stable at those voltages so i'm guessing i'm just not straining the psu much...

oh and how do you run two instances of prime 95 it wont let me start up a second instance...

i've been googling and it seems it may be my memory thats causing the ****....
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Hmmm, I can tell you that to my knowledge 64bits love dual channel ram and that AM2s need the fastest ram you can get your hands on. Other than that I have no clue :lol:
Gouhan

Post by Gouhan »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but what you're experiencing is normal for AM2.

Unfortunately there isn't a single useful board for the AM2 platform other than the DFI LanParty UT NF590 SLI
and a far (and i mean far) second to that is the MSI K9N Platinum/SLI which will take you to 292/294MHz with much effort.

Everything else is rubbish. Unfortunately such is the situation with AM2.

As for 1/2T you will not get 1T at anything above 533MHz with AM2. Memory controller can't take it and chances are it never will... You'll have to accept 2T and work with that.
5-5-5-15 is not great but isn't bad. What makes it sad however is the 2T which we can't do anything about :(

Hope that helps :)
Coldon

Post by Coldon »

the board is stable up to 315 in windows, it just wont post at anything higher than 285...

my ram is now at 400mhz (DDR2 800) @ 1t/5/5/5/12
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm, I must still lear how to OC! Then id be able to help you guys out...but from what I understand is that your mobo is ******!! Its the mobo which lets you set your htt higher isnt it? Apparently DFI dont have limits on their voltage and other OCing settings. They really make use of lots of power which is why they are soooo stable and are therefor the BEST DIY OCing mobos!! Most of the best OCs are made on DFI mobos. If you have extra cash try get a new mobo and some OCZ or Mushkin RAM...I dont know what PSU you have...
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I must still lear how to OC!
it is all through experimentation. Just try today when you get home
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
QQQ

Post by QQQ »

Most DDR2 800 can not running at 800 by am2 mch....
billypengilly

amd 64 3800 +

Post by billypengilly »

i got my 2.5 running @ 3.2 at 65 degrees using gigabyte rocket cooler, thinking of liquid but it's too scary for me, it's stable and memory is corsair ddr2 800's latency not too bad, but as good as it'll get
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

WOW. This is an old post!
I know know how 2 OC better...Just my mobo limits me.....need...to...get...a...DFI!!! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.