nforce2 XMMS problem

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Nitroflea

nforce2 XMMS problem

Post by Nitroflea »

I´m using Mandrake 9.2:
Anybody know why when I play anything in XMMS it plays the first second then stops (and somethimes freezes XMMS)??
I installed the latest nforce2 drivers and the sound works fine otherwise. Its just in XMMS that it doen´t work. XMMS is using an OSS driver currently.
"If a programmer can't quote entire Monty Python movies from memory, he or she has no business being a programmer."
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

That's perhaps the problem ?

My guess is that Mandrake 9.2 installs Alsa by default, but perhaps your sound card is using OSS modules and there's a conflict of some sort ?

Best bet is to hang a left by :-

www.linuxquestions.org

One of the busiest linux forums I've encountered - your sure to get some decent help there.
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

not tht i know anything abt Nforce and VIA

but if MOBO has a via soundcard you might just wanna run over to their site
www.viaarena.com and download the latest drivers
remove the ALSA and OSS modules.

similar problem i had to just figured it out yesterday
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Let me guess, you running kde?

open a Konsole window and su to root, and type this: killall -9 artsd

then try your xmms, you find that what happens if that kde's sound server (artsd) ties up the sound card, and unless your using the 2.6.* kernel, i very much doubt that you have full Duplex support on your card. so artsd ties up the soundcard's resources, and xmms hangs.
kchizo

Post by kchizo »

Don't get me started on NForce drivers! They completely rendered my GPU useless and even flashing bios was of no use. The chipsets drivers clash with each other, and the only way I can get the card to work is to uninstall the Nforce drivers use windows standard ones for memory controller etc. major performance loss. Maybe I should try a different OS like Linux to see if that helps?