Explorer crashes with every right click on file

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Explorer crashes with every right click on file

Post by Anakha56 »

Hey all

I have a problem which i have been trying to solve for the last couple of days and have not got anywhere. Everytime i right click on the desktop for example the computer is fine, but if i right click on a file explorer hangs. the same thing happens if i do a ctrl+c or use the side pane in my computer to copy. Initially the problem was due to Steganos Security Suite, where i would right click and as soon as i moved the mouse over one of there right click area's explorer would crash, so i uninstalled it but the problem seems to have gotten worse now i cant even right click. When i do ctrl-alt-delte go processes click explorer then end process, the computer comes alive again.

Things i have done to try and resolve this issue, run chkdsk, run sfc and have tried a repair. Nothing worked. Besides re-installing winxp pro (absolute last step) i thought i would see if anyone hear has any bright ideas.

So what do you think the prob is?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mori

Post by Mori »

Hmmmm, it's a virus, most definatly a virus. Virus name ??? Windows XP!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

no not a virus, have latest trend micro updates and latest spybot defs all come back clean. oh and its winxp pro...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
nifty

Post by nifty »

Format. Seriously.
Mori

Post by Mori »

All I can think of is sytem files that somehow got corrupted or something.
I myself, would format the drive and reinstall XP. It's a bit of a schlep, but, it has to be done.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

dont want to format, to many programs that i would need to re-install. hence the reason why i say absolute last option...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

surely an SFC would have replaced any corrupt files? am going to try an sfc scan on boot-up bbl.
Mori

Post by Mori »

Try running a a repair, and see wot it does. That's ur 2nd last option. But I SERIOUSLY recommend the format. You could always try a backup of ur root drive, reinstall and restore the backup, but doubt it'll work.
Mori

Post by Mori »

Only sfc that i know replaces corrupt files, was win98 sfc. Maybe some others out there that I do not know about.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

winxp does have an sfc option go run cmd sfc /? it will give you a list of commands...

sigh i didnt want to re-install but it looks like ill have to...
ArmatageShanks

Post by ArmatageShanks »

I had exactly the same problem, but only when i tried to right click on a drive in My Computer. I fixed this (temporarily) by creating shortcuts of the drives in My Computer on the desktop, but the problem started again after a while.

I recently installed some more RAM, and since then, the problem's vanished. It could either be because of the new RAM or because my old RAM was a little dusty so I cleaned it when I got the new ones.

Check if there's dust on your RAM and try cleaning it. It might work.

P.S. I also had Steganos installed.
xchuckx has been flushed and respawned neo-nymbo
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

thanks will try different ram...
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

i hope its not a problem with steganos...
i got it installed on my pc, but havent had time to use it... i might just uninstall it after reading this... :?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Try running XP's 'scandisk feature, if it is corrupt software it will pick it up.

Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, Storage, right-click the Volume, Tools, Options, Check Now button, Select Options, Start.

Otherwise formating might be your only solution
jee

Post by jee »

anakha.. just as a matter of interest.. my one rather old machine that run on Win2000 does the same....
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

scribbled shell extension...

i suspect that steg left some rubbish behind in the context menu... i believe there is a util out there that will allow you to browse, enable/disable the extensions wxp loads at startup...

<goes hunting...>
<edit>
gimme a bash

would still drop those characters a mail about their shoddy installer though...
</edit>
<edit 2>
included as an interesting read more than anything else...
explorer woes
the pros approach to fixing the problem... :)
</edit>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Check out these pages: maybe something will help there:

1. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
2. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Gromit wrote:Try running XP's 'scandisk feature, if it is corrupt software it will pick it up.

Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, Storage, right-click the Volume, Tools, Options, Check Now button, Select Options, Start.

Otherwise formating might be your only solution
done that didnt do a thing...

Rusty will try your options now then schase thanks for the help guys will let you know what i find... :)
qace

Post by qace »

Why don't you use Windows System Restore- Try restoring your pc back to a day before the problem started.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

got the problem sorted steganos hadent uninstalled its encryption engine properly so it was trying to run the program through the engine with every right click, rusty showed me where the prob was with process explorer so a re-install and uninstall and were back alive again! :)

thanks every1...