Freeware editing software

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
rats

Freeware editing software

Post by rats »

Can any one suggest freeware software/working demo for relative basic editing of images, e.g. an avatar? I am a complete newbie/idiot on image editing :oops: , so I need something that is somewhat basic but a bit more powerful than MS Paint. It is only for fooling around. I am in other words not really willing to spend money on it (yet)

Any suggestions?
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

One word -> GIMP
= Totally Free = Open Source = Freeware = Whateva You wanna Call It!

www.gimp.org

I don't use it though - I use Paintshop pro 7 and Animation shop pro 3!
rats

Post by rats »

Thanks RiD1, I'll give it a try. Now to see if I have the patience for it... :roll:
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

Cool , You'll need a lot of patience with it - There is a separate plug-in you'll have to download for animations and its called GAP! You'll find it somwhere on that site!
After using Paint shop pro and being to used to the layout - GIMP is difficult for me to use!

But People like Rabb1 and Linkx who havent used anything else besides MS-Paint find it actually easy to use!
webs

Post by webs »

after reading this thread i went back and found my holiday edition pcf dvd which has gimp on it ( :D )
but during the install it says;
-hyper threading is enabled, disable it or get a new bios, and,
Setup has found some DLL files, which may conflict with the GIMP. To prevent such conflicts, Setup can automatically rename these files.
Note: Renaming these files may cause other programs to stop working. If you find such program, please read the FAQ <http://gimp-win.sf.net/faq.html> for possible solutions.

Following is the list of files, which would be renamed:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xmlparse.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xmltok.dll
If you choose to rename these files, their extension will be changed to .dll.off.
i dunno about messing with dll's(theyve cause me grief before)
what should i do?

Now now, calm down. It takes two to lie, One to lie, and one to listen.-Homer Simpson
webs

Post by webs »

anyone venture an informed opinion? im sitting here with the install screen looking at me :lol:

Now now, calm down. It takes two to lie, One to lie, and one to listen.-Homer Simpson
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

im not one to mess with dll's myself, so rather try another program! try canvas 8, on one of the newer cover discs. i think on disc 107.

that might be the type of program you looking for!

PureFire
webs

Post by webs »

thanks i'll go rummaging now, but any other comments of peoples who've had the same prompt at the install screen, please let me know.

J2theT
Permanently Banned

Post by J2theT »

never had a problem with Gimp!

Actually prefer it over PSP cuz its easier to use at first, and yeah GAP is also a MUSt have with it,

@Webs : I never had that problem u see i just install stuff and never actually look at that screen but hey never had probs with it,

THE GIMP