Why do my games lag

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
garp

Why do my games lag

Post by garp »

The framerats are low in most of my games but I can still play them with quit a bit of lag

Asrock M266A Motherboard
P4 2.4Ghz
384MB ram
Gefoce 4 MX440
:cry:
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Hi
The Geforce mx 440 was a entry level Graphics card. Speaking of frame rate your looking at about 45 -65 FPS is more or less what you should get for this card.

It could be DirectX check DxDiag for any missing or corrupted files.
It could be windows... now if it's windows... Command Format c: /q could be a quick answer or could be what windows your running 95; 98 2000; me; xp.

Your display card drivers....check that getting the latest drivers can speed your FPS upto about 10 - 15 frames

You have a great graphics card... as I said before this card is an entry level card so rather change your graphics card.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

:oops:
Last edited by wizardofid on 23 Dec 2005, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
zimdollar

Post by zimdollar »

You should just get new drivers, it does the trick most of the time, or check your resolution and monitor settings. Or if this is not it, could you have a defective card? :?:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

No wonder the zimdollar is in such a state.

I said this is a low end graphics card (entry level same thing) should the meaning of low-end be explained..??

Since this card is based on the Geforce 2 card is about 2x times weaker then any other geforce 4 card. Reason being it is in fact a Geforce 2 based card updated and some extra goodies.Just the transfer rate is about 1+ gig slower than the MX 460.??

I just gave him some ideas to speed up his frame rate AND YES drivers will help with about mabye 10 - 25% speed increase but getting another graphics seems the next logic step. Formating a harddrive well this happens at least every 3 to 4 months just depends what software I ran. Yet Windows is the biggest culprit in slowing down a system.

So what I'm saying you answered correctly BUT there's always some thing else that could be wrong....Cause what it seems like , you bluntly ignored what I said.
garp

Post by garp »

I have got every thing the latest drivers latest DirectX and I have also just had a new HDD put in Maxtor 40Gig 7200rpm but framerates are still not great so what decent gaming card do you recomend for R1000 not to much over R1300 at the most
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

garp wrote:I have got every thing the latest drivers latest DirectX and I have also just had a new HDD put in Maxtor 40Gig 7200rpm but framerates are still not great so what decent gaming card do you recomend for R1000 not to much over R1300 at the most
Okay here's some stats first:

I borrowed my friends graphic card (Geforce4 mx440 SE) and let it rip on my system. Sheese I'm shocked.... at the results. With 3DMark2001 Se I expected good results . . . this is what I found
Scored a shocker 6500 points. Note this was the MX440 Second ed the only Mx geforce card with a vertex shader... but still no preformance.
Your better off with a geforce 2... really no joke.!!

Best card on the market right now . . . Geforce FX range
but "Pricey" also look at the ATI range a "bit" cheaper (about a odd R150 to R70 diffrence).

""Sorry my personal oppion is that I will not tell you what card to buy as you might buy that card for the wrong reason""

Here's some Guidelines:Thanks to http://www.pcworld.com/howto/bguide/0,g ... e,2,00.asp[/url]

The Big Picture
Graphics chip and board makers update their hardware every six months or so, mainly to enable the development of more-complex, more-realistic PC games. But games aren't the only reason to get a new graphics board. Such features as support for two or even three displays, a DVI port, S-Video connections, and FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports are other compelling reasons to upgrade.

Key Features
Graphics processor: Today's graphics chips can efficiently handle sophisticated full-motion 3D video, thanks to advanced graphics processors, or GPUs. PC games look best when they run at 60 frames per second (a measure of how quickly your screen displays new information) or faster; 60 fps is considered flicker-free, because the human eye can't detect flickering or other problems at this rate.

Budget graphics cards do a fine job with older games. However, boards that can produce faster frame rates at a midrange resolution will typically sustain playable frame rates at higher resolutions, and they can usually handle more-complicated games. To play DirectX 9 games, you'll want a chip that supports DirectX 9 hardware acceleration.

Memory: When you use your PC for graphics-intensive activities, such as playing games or editing video, the information necessary to display images is buffered in graphics RAM. You'll need a lot of graphics RAM to handle today's complex, texture-rich games. The more complicated the game or image you're viewing, the more memory you'll need. Most budget graphics cards come with 32MB to 64MB of DDR SDRAM, while more-expensive models offer 64MB to 128MB, the current maximum on consumer-level boards. For older games, 32MB is sufficient, though it's not likely to deliver good image quality and high frame rates with new games or at resolutions above 1600 by 1200. For higher resolutions and newer, more complex games, it's best to acquire a card with at least 128MB of video memory. Most games today don't require more than that, but you may want to opt for more memory rather than face upgrading again when new memory-intensive games arrive.

Graphics chips that are integrated on a PC's motherboard use some main system memory (reducing the amount available to the rest of the system). Less-expensive computers with lower-powered CPUs, such as Intel's Celeron or AMD's Duron, often have integrated graphics subsystems. Although PCs that use integrated chips do an acceptable job with typical business applications, they lack the extra memory necessary for sophisticated gaming, so they aren't suitable for playing any but the simplest games.

Extra Options
Some cards include extra features, as well as bundled hardware and software. Here are the common options offered on graphics cards:

DVI-out: A card's digital visual interface is a port used primarily for connecting digital monitors. With a DVI connector and a DVI-out port, a graphics card can work with either a digital or an analog monitor.

S-Video-out/-in: The S-Video-out port allows you to send video signals to a TV, VCR, or other entertainment device. The S-Video-in port lets you bring video into your PC from a camcorder, a VCR, or the like.

Composite-out/-in: Composite ports fulfill the same function as S-Video ports, and they are particularly handy for use with older devices, which may lack S-Video ports. Many graphics boards that provide S-Video ports also include an S-Video-to-composite adapter cable.

Dual display or dual head: To connect your PC to a second monitor or to a TV, you'll need a card with extra ports and additional RAMDACs (chips that convert digital images to analog signals) to drive two--or even three--separate displays.

Overclocking: Running a graphics processor faster than the manufacturer's specified speed is popular among PC tweakers and dedicated gamers. While this can squeeze a little more performance out of a card, it carries risks such as overheating. Some vendors--Gainward is one--sell cards that have already been overclocked; others bundle overclocking software with cards; and some manufacturers, like ATI, don't officially support it. Be sure to read the manufacturer's recommendations and instructions before overclocking.

Anti-aliasing: Many cards offer anti-aliasing, which smooths and softens the jagged edges of 3D images. This feature is especially helpful at lower resolutions. Enabling it can lower frame rates, though, so gamers have to choose between smoother images and faster performance.

I hope this helps

[/url]
halo

Post by halo »

hi all

i have the same problem but then again my machine is a 1/4 of urs so lets leave why mine lags alone.

first off as said like a thousand times your card is entry level and is made for hardcore gaming so dont expect a mircale in the performance even wi5th the new drivers. and another thing what do you mean by lag and what res. do you play at and with what detail settings. i think after u tell us that the answers may change.

just lower everything slowly till you get the preformance you want out of your machine or i my oppion buy a better card if you have the cash.

:wink:
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

garp wrote:I have got every thing the latest drivers latest DirectX and I have also just had a new HDD put in Maxtor 40Gig 7200rpm but framerates are still not great so what decent gaming card do you recomend for R1000 not to much over R1300 at the most
ATI 9600 @ R1350!
K
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

SnowMonkey wrote:
ATI 9600 @ R1350!
K
Ah the ATI is a great card..but that's shows my point of not wanting to tell you what card to buy GARP.!!!

What makes ATI different from nvidia..??? Yet ATI is great but this is a known fact that most "big Games" are build around the Nvidia GPU..."but with support for ATI and other companies."

So you got plenty choices......??check out nvidia http://www.nvidia.com or ATI's http://www.ati.comwebsite out... that should give you a better idea of what to choose.
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

That is the only card around the R1350 mark the next one up is well over R1500.

I just as pionting him in the right direction. So he does'nt make the mistake of buying a FX 5200, or somthing stupid like that! 8O

Cheers

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

SnowMonkey wrote:That is the only card around the R1350 mark the next one up is well over R1500.

I just as pionting him in the right direction. So he does'nt make the mistake of buying a FX 5200, or somthing stupid like that! 8O (Yes don't worry I'am not atacking you) :lol: :o :lol:

Cheers
Like I would sell him a ATI silverstone II 4mb...?? :lol: What if I told you I can get any any grahpics cards upto R400.00 cheaper..??Would you still want to pay R1350.00 and no I'm not a dealer..!!
Last week I brought complete(every thing else but screen) brand spanking new P4 2.04Ghz for R2015.60...!! So garp name the card and I'll get it for you.. cheaper...!!
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Well unless your components fell of the back of a truck and rolled around on the floor, I doubt you'd be able to get parts cheeper then me.

Tell you what I'm looking to buy a 19" Flat screen moniter, the samsung 955DF, tell me what you can get it for and I'll see if I can beat it.

Smart-IT

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

SnowMonkey wrote:Well unless your components fell of the back of a truck and rolled around on the floor, I doubt you'd be able to get parts cheeper then me.

Tell you what I'm looking to buy a 19" Flat screen moniter, the samsung 955DF, tell me what you can get it for and I'll see if I can beat it.
Around R2500.00 second hand. ? Going to make a few phone calls.!!Keep you updated....The reason I'm cheaper my contact is a direct importer...!! :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

wizardofid wrote:
SnowMonkey wrote:Well unless your components fell of the back of a truck and rolled around on the floor, I doubt you'd be able to get parts cheeper then me.

Around R2500.00 second hand. ? Going to make a few phone calls.!!Keep you updated....The reason I'm cheaper my contact is a direct importer...!! :lol:
Hi got this:

171S 17" TFT 1280x1024, 135Mhz 16.7 mil col, 0.294mm LCD, Ivory Samsung(19" out of stock) R3950.00) BUT..

24" TFT 1920x1200, 16.7 mil col, 5W 2Ch speakers R25000.00 samsung
brabham

Post by brabham »

DuDe thats some good prices!!! Where are you based??? Me want one! 8O
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Boesman

Post by Boesman »

Dammmnnn, and where could you get that ATI for that price?
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

wizardofid wrote: Hi got this:

171S 17" TFT 1280x1024, 135Mhz 16.7 mil col, 0.294mm LCD, Ivory Samsung(19" out of stock) R3950.00) BUT..

24" TFT 1920x1200, 16.7 mil col, 5W 2Ch speakers R25000.00 samsung
SAMSUNG 17" SyncMaster TFT LCD, 1280 X 1024 ; Auto Adjustment, VESA Compliant Ivory
R3850.....

Those ain't bad prices.
I was actually looking for a CRT Flatscreen, like the LG F900B, Samsung 955DF, or so. CAn you see what you can get with those?
I only got R2500 to spend!

Thanks anyways.... :arrow:

Smart-IT

garp

The winner is ATI!!

Post by garp »

It looks like ATI is the winner OK the RADEONâ„¢ 9800 128MB looks good at about R1400 is this a good card or am i going to waist my money remember my pc is used for games and internet only Mainly games and how long is the card going to last me a year at least :D :D

I had a TnT2 in my old computer and that only lasted for about 5 months
garp

I feel stupid

Post by garp »

sorry about that thats the wrong price it costs about R2093 the R1400 is for the radeon9600Pro 128 MB :oops:
wizardofid

Re: The winner is ATI!!

Post by wizardofid »

garp wrote:It looks like ATI is the winner OK the RADEON™ 9800 128MB looks good at about R1400 is this a good card or am i going to waist my money remember my pc is used for games and internet only Mainly games and how long is the card going to last me a year at least :D :D

Well if you buy a high end graphic card might last you at least 1.5 years at most.
One question do you buy every New game that's on the market if you do then buy the best card you can afford..??

And as for the price give me a list of what you want and then I can give you some prices.... as to what you should be paying and what a ripped off is..!!.

128mb ram is ok but if you can rather go for something with at least 256mb ram.!

And for the rest of the guys your welcome to give me your lists and I'll beat any items price ...!!And if you want it I'll give you the company or the "black market" number. :lol:
wizardofid

Re: The winner is ATI!!

Post by wizardofid »

garp wrote:It looks like ATI is the winner OK the RADEON™ 9800 128MB looks good at about R1400 is this a good card or am i going to waist my money remember my pc is used for games and internet only Mainly games and how long is the card going to last me a year at least :D :D

Well if you buy a high end graphic card might last you at least 1.5 years at most.
One question do you buy every New game that's on the market if you do then buy the best card you can afford..??

And as for the price give me a list of what you want and then I can give you some prices.... as to what you should be paying and what a ripped off is..!!.

128mb ram is ok but if you can rather go for something with at least 256mb ram.!

And for the rest of the guys your welcome to give me your lists and I'll beat any items price ...!!And if you want it I'll give you the company or the "black market" number. :lol:
SynthetiX

Post by SynthetiX »

I want the price on a Radeon 9500Pro.
And a AMD XP 2800 Cpu
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

SynthetiX wrote:I want the price on a Radeon 9500Pro.
And a AMD XP 2800 Cpu
AX2800C R 1,089 normal price price-R850 AMD
Athlon XP (Thoroughbred) 2800+ with QuantiSpeed Architecture & 3DNow! Professional

Radeon 9500Pro no stock No Price

FX5200-128 R 1,089 normal price Price-R800 AOpen nVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP-8x 128MB 128-bit DDR with TV-out & DVI output - DirectX 9.0 Open GL 1.4

A310TD+25 R 3,415 normal price Price2750.00 Leadtek® nVidia GeForce FX 5600 (NV34) AGP-8X 256MB 128 bit DDR with TV+DVI+VIVO - Direct X 9.0+, Open GL 1.4
Any thing else mabye..??
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

SynthetiX wrote:I want the price on a Radeon 9500Pro.
And a AMD XP 2800 Cpu
AX2800C R 1,089 normal price price-R850 AMD
Athlon XP (Thoroughbred) 2800+ with QuantiSpeed Architecture & 3DNow! Professional

Radeon 9500Pro no stock No Price

FX5200-128 R 1,089 normal price Price-R800 AOpen nVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP-8x 128MB 128-bit DDR with TV-out & DVI output - DirectX 9.0 Open GL 1.4

A310TD+25 R 3,415 normal price Price2750.00 Leadtek® nVidia GeForce FX 5600 (NV34) AGP-8X 256MB 128 bit DDR with TV+DVI+VIVO - Direct X 9.0+, Open GL 1.4
Any thing else mabye..??