WoW for SA?

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Cameron we realise that these things happen. And most readers wouldn't have even noticed the Christo thing if it wasn't brought to our attention. But the WoW thing is a bit more serious. A lot of people got really excited about a local WoW server just to find out it was a oversight on PCF's side. You guys have to remember that we trust what you tell us. That's why we buy the mag. Apart from the fact that we like you guys, we actually read the mag because we trust your opinions as to what is best and what not. To make matters worse the WoW statement was repeated in the E3 supplement that was written by Tamsin. Tamsin is suppose to be an advert gamer and an expert. She should know that there is no WoW server coming to SA. I understand that you guys are only human. But you guys should understand that so are we. We're just dissapointed.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

I thought i would just mention that you people can get a server from Blackstorm and play WOW at home. Single player with all the quests or Lan in with a friend. Now i know that this is not what is being debated here, but for those of you who are interested.
Who knows more about electricity than the Amish?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Y0da wrote:Cameron we realise that these things happen. And most readers wouldn't have even noticed the Christo thing if it wasn't brought to our attention. But the WoW thing is a bit more serious. A lot of people got really excited about a local WoW server just to find out it was a oversight on PCF's side. You guys have to remember that we trust what you tell us. That's why we buy the mag. Apart from the fact that we like you guys, we actually read the mag because we trust your opinions as to what is best and what not. To make matters worse the WoW statement was repeated in the E3 supplement that was written by Tamsin. Tamsin is suppose to be an advert gamer and an expert. She should know that there is no WoW server coming to SA. I understand that you guys are only human. But you guys should understand that so are we. We're just dissapointed.
Could not have said it better myself... :stupid:

...and will pipe down on the nescafe... its these bludy free coffee vending machines at work you see... :P

S
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Ihsahn wrote:I thought i would just mention that you people can get a server from Blackstorm and play WOW at home. Single player with all the quests or Lan in with a friend. Now i know that this is not what is being debated here, but for those of you who are interested.
Can you give more info ? I didnt know this was possible !

S
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Y0da wrote:Cameron we realise that these things happen. And most readers wouldn't have even noticed the Christo thing if it wasn't brought to our attention. But the WoW thing is a bit more serious. A lot of people got really excited about a local WoW server just to find out it was a oversight on PCF's side. You guys have to remember that we trust what you tell us. That's why we buy the mag. Apart from the fact that we like you guys, we actually read the mag because we trust your opinions as to what is best and what not. To make matters worse the WoW statement was repeated in the E3 supplement that was written by Tamsin. Tamsin is suppose to be an advert gamer and an expert. She should know that there is no WoW server coming to SA. I understand that you guys are only human. But you guys should understand that so are we. We're just dissapointed.
I do understand this but I was just giving you my point of view and since I work here I think that it is a good one, Tamsin is the only person who can actually make a statement or apology about it. If I were you guys I might also be a bit annoyed by the WOW error but I think that I would understand about the localising error with using Christos name. Yes, it is a lie but it was changed to localise the publication. It doesnt make it right, its just my explanation for it.
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

Sojourn wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:I thought i would just mention that you people can get a server from Blackstorm and play WOW at home. Single player with all the quests or Lan in with a friend. Now i know that this is not what is being debated here, but for those of you who are interested.
Can you give more info ? I didnt know this was possible !

S
Ill give you the adress soon i know its blackstormraptor something
you can download the server and play the game you have to run the server and the game on your pc a the same time, just waiting for my mate to e-mail me the adress

www.blackstormraptor.com
if it doesent work just google for blackstrom, bear in mind that the latest my server is like 8gigs now plus you have to have the game
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

dead link...
All that glitters is not gold,
all those who wander are not lost...

JRR TOLKIEN
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

Just google for blackstormraptor

]
Last edited by Ihsahn on 04 Jul 2005, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Well the way I see it you guys only have one option left. Call in some favours and get us a local WoW server as promised. Capiche? :twisted:

*Joke*
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

http://blackstormraptor.needlemen.com
there you go
This is what you want
Last edited by Ihsahn on 04 Jul 2005, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

hmmmm who knows maybe tamsin has not revealed a certain secret ???

one could only hope....

JRR TOLKIEN
Rage

Post by Rage »

Ihsahn wrote:Just google for blackstormraptor

]
It's your idea so why don't you post the correct link?
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Spabel wrote:hmmmm who knows maybe tamsin has not revealed a certain secret ???

one could only hope....
??
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

@ Cameron - secret as in she's arranging a WoW server

realise now that could have been misinterpreted.

heh, oh well...

JRR TOLKIEN
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

Rage wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:Just google for blackstormraptor

]
It's your idea so why don't you post the correct link?
its not an idea its a place where you can download the server and if look a couple of posts above yours youll see the link
HdB

Post by HdB »

I found this, as well: An emulator

Its still in alpha, and you need to register on the forums.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ s939 | Gecube 3870 OC edition
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Cameron Losco wrote:
Spabel wrote:hmmmm who knows maybe tamsin has not revealed a certain secret ???

one could only hope....
??
He's suggesting you guys might have an ace up the sleeve concerning a WoW server in SA. So do you ?

S
Robster

Relax

Post by Robster »

Hi all

I think that this situation has been blown completely out of proportion. Everyone should calm down and wait for a response from Tamsini and/or Cameron and give them a chance to defend themselves, before they get wrongfully executed.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Well sadly after reading this it seems that Blizzard won't bother putting up a SA server soon. Thats the bad news. The good news is that the game is accessable on US servers by means of Numetro who is the local distributor.
Android

Post by Android »

The only questions I have, is this a once off mistake or will there be more like it in the future? and how many previous issues had incorrect information in them?
\\\\\\\" irc.darkhaven.org.za \\\\\\\"
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Android wrote:The only questions I have, is this a once off mistake or will there be more like it in the future? and how many previous issues had incorrect information in them?
Its the first time that something as serious as advertising a non-existant online server happens, but there have been other "misprints" in the past.

S
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Hey Guys

Apologies for the late reply - I wasn't ignoring you - I was away. Now on to answer your questions.
Firstly I will tackle the Christo bit. Christo does 90% of all our open source reviews except for those that have international copy and if I changed Alec's name to Christo's name there is no LIE involved as the information is 100% the truth. Christo is Alecs counterpart in South Africa and I can also tell you that Christo is OFTEN asked for information by the other magazines because of his vast repository of knowledge and innate understanding of technology. Your rude comments about his character and abilities should be withdrawn and you should apologise at the very least. I would pit his skills against yours anyday and put all my money on him.

Secondly the WoW information was pulled from the UK issue BUT I was assured, promised and told that as of 25 June 2005 South Africans would have WoW in South Africa. This information was given to me by Nu Metro just prior to me going to print. The fact that this is still NOT available here is news to me and I will be following up with the relevant people as this is entirely unfair on the SA gamers. I for one was really looking forward to entering WoW this weekend.

All I ask is that you guys stop reaching for the machine guns when a simple stick would do. Why do you always have to jump to the worst conclusions and throw temper tantrums about how evil we are when the explanations are yours for the taking. It really boggles the mind. I don't know how many times we are going to have to tell you that we are licensed to the UK and use their copy and I really don't know how to explain that using this copy does not make it a lie. Honestly. Are you telling me that because CNN is made in the USA all their info is a lie for South Africans? Or that SKY is also lying because it isn't SA based? HUH?
As fort our "constant mistakes" there are mistakes in magazines, yes, and we try very hard to avoid them. We apologise for this but we always try to make sure that the information in the magazine is 100% factually correct.
Belix

Post by Belix »

Thanks Tamsini
See guys, seems a WOW server was on the cards. Lets see what response PCF get from Nu Metro on this.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Dropped Bruce a mail. Will see what he has to say.
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

I WANT WOW!!!
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"