Latest issue

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
jee

Post by jee »

no Tolklien, I will agree. And tell you something for free.. there is NO way I will never ask him to help me with something/anything. I actually don't think he is funny and have been wondering about if he really know so much. And if he does, and answers that way, he should not be allowed to do so.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Tolklein wrote:Was it just me or was Lius more sarcastic than usual this issue, I don't think he gave one question a straight forward response.
I felt the same way..

Hey sometimes its called for when people ask questions like, "What is the numlock key for?". To say the least I felt a little dissapointed that pcf is happy for him to reply in such a harsh manner. Some people are genuinely stupid when it comes to pc's and they turn to guys like him for help.

If I was a first time reader and asked him for help I might considder not buying the mag anymore after getting such a response.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Tolklein wrote:Was it just me or was Lius more sarcastic than usual this issue, I don't think he gave one question a straight forward response.
and there I thought I was imagining it... it was'nt him at all in some respects.. almost as if an evil twin had him tied up in the back while hammering out curt responses to , I thought, fair questions.... admittedly one or two of the questions did require a certain amount of ESP on his part....

unlesss there is some deeper issue here.... :roll:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

hehe i liked some of his remarks why i hear u ask? well as rusty pointed out he needed alot of ESP on his side to answer some of the questions, also i was in a foul mood that day so it kinda cheered me up :lol:

on to a little side note i dont know if anyone else spotted it on page 81 in the "Clock Options" box i think picture 2 should be where picture 3 is and vice versa :wink: just something i noticed...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

rustypup wrote:unlesss there is some deeper issue here.... :roll:
I got no problems with louis in fact sometimes his replies are quite witty but there is always a fine line between sounding witty and sounding harsh.

I have been an avid reader of pcf for a number of years now and I have often laughed at his replies but just this once I felt he was walking a fine line, hey maybe its just me :?:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@Anakha - I think you're correct about the pics... but then, a little figuring out is good for the grey matter.....

@Stevo... yah.. he's normally hilarious in some of his responses - maybe just my mood when I read it but I saw a little of myself in those responses - bear in mind I gave up smoking not too long ago and have become a bit of an evil sod when replying to inane it questions....

<eyes glow red... fists clench....reaches for fluffy baseball bat>
No... I don't know why Bill Gates hates you enough to make your insignificant life a daily horror show... maybe you should spend fruitless hours sending him hate mail instead of bugging me...
<smacks head repeatedly with fluffy bat>
haahahahahahahahahha...!!! it's all squid ! squid I tell you!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

jee wrote:*sigh*

there goes the neighbourhood... poor those with only cd-roms ;)
That would be me. And I only have a laptop.
Prime

Post by Prime »

@mt. by an internal dvd drive for a pc and fit it to an external case that you can plug into a usb port.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

So I've heard. Just don't have the money right now for something like that.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Anakha56 wrote:hehe i liked some of his remarks why i hear u ask? well as rusty pointed out he needed alot of ESP on his side to answer some of the questions, also i was in a foul mood that day so it kinda cheered me up :lol:
I must say, I enjoy his remarks - but that's only because I know enough to understand them! But for a newbie... Shame! I seriously think he should keep up the wit, but or goodness sakes, at least give a decent explanation!
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Now guys, please dont take this as flaming :

I am now reallly interested in hearing the whole story about the Cover DVD.

We were contiuosally told that using a DVD would make the mag cost about R70 or up and that the costs would be huge etc etc... NAG have been running their DVD for a while now at R39 and now suddenly PCF bring in their DVD at, would you know, R39...

Could you guys please explain why we were so blatantly told this and that and the sudden change?

Thanks
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Hey Mss Editoress, why didn't a Mod of the Month feature?? I'm Curious
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Slasher wrote:I am now reallly interested in hearing the whole story about the Cover DVD.
Hey... look... a thread that already deals with this question....

Just btw... any "magazine" judged on its "free" disc content or media is not worth the money - I buy the mag first and foremost for the articles.... simply judging its editorial content on the quantity of free goodies provided is, to my mind, an insult to a hard-working and overly dedicated team of people who pour blood sweat and tears into creating the finest pc mag out there....

just my 2 cents.... :)
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

rustypup wrote:
Slasher wrote:I am now reallly interested in hearing the whole story about the Cover DVD.
Hey... look... a thread that already deals with this question....

Just btw... any "magazine" judged on its "free" disc content or media is not worth the money - I buy the mag first and foremost for the articles.... simply judging its editorial content on the quantity of free goodies provided is, to my mind, an insult to a hard-working and overly dedicated team of people who pour blood sweat and tears into creating the finest pc mag out there....

just my 2 cents.... :)
Well lets just say I bought a nag magazine just to see what was on the dvd but in my opinion the mag is not even in the same league as PCF.
jee

Post by jee »

Everyone that deals with planning something big, like a 100th birthday starts doing so looonnnggg in advance. And surprises are only surprises if it stays surprises. So in order not to let the cat out of the bag, you throw a smoke screen. But, as competition is bound to be, your competitior will always try and spoil your surprise.

But then, the world is full of Moaning Minnies :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

jee wrote:Everyone that deals with planning something big, like a 100th birthday starts doing so looonnnggg in advance. And surprises are only surprises if it stays surprises. So in order not to let the cat out of the bag, you throw a smoke screen. But, as competition is bound to be, your competitior will always try and spoil your surprise.

But then, the world is full of Moaning Minnies :)
my car does not moan it whimpers :wink:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Has anyone played the Star Wars demo from last month's CD? Looks very cool and PCF gave it a very good score in this month's issue.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Lego start wars? Its awesome! Play it.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Prime

Post by Prime »

really cool. go play it
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Will have to take it to one of my friends then.
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

HEY!! Sorry about the invisibility but we have been insanely busy finishing off the 100th issue and only now are we starting to breathe again. So here are your questions answered...

1. Jee was 100% correct regarding the price of the DVD and the fact that we kept throwing you off. It was meant to be a surprise and we planned the launch with the 100th issue all along. Welcome to your PCF DVD issue from now on...Stop finding things to moan about now you have what you want.

2. Stuff on DVD - when you see what Cameron has put on that DVD you'll be pretty impressed with how psychic he was. Some awesome stuff on there. Any further queries and requests send to him directly with a very detailed subject line so he can determine the votes without having to read an essay.

3. Mod of the Month has ended because the cases were all getting to look the same, there was nothing new and innovative out there and we felt it had done its duty. I think that more How-To's are far better especially when we have tons of disc content to supplement and improve them.

4. Keep us posted! I personally can't wait to see what you think of our 100th issue 8)
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Nuf said! 8)
Prime

Post by Prime »

cool. thanx for the update tamsini. 8)
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Tamsini wrote: 3. Mod of the Month has ended because the cases were all getting to look the same, there was nothing new and innovative out there and we felt it had done its duty. I think that more How-To's are far better especially when we have tons of disc content to supplement and improve them.
How about moving stuff like that from the mag to the DVD. The size is tiny so it won't have an effect on the DVD content and it's like an extension of the mag onto the DVD. As well, other features that have been removed from the mag like the section (forgot what it's called) where you put questions and answers from the forums in the mag.
Prime

Post by Prime »

thats a gud idea biohazard