crc error file does not match that one in the cab file

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
syntheticdarkness

crc error file does not match that one in the cab file

Post by syntheticdarkness »

This has been bugging me for ages Windows XP and Windows 2000 Pro what is it help microsoft.com has nothing [almost] on this i practicaly cant install anything.Any body else got this problem?
rustypup

Re: crc error file does not match that one in the cab file

Post by rustypup »

syntheticdarkness wrote:This has been bugging me for ages Windows XP and Windows 2000 Pro what is it help microsoft.com has nothing [almost] on this i practicaly cant install anything.Any body else got this problem?
Hmmm... this may sound odd, but more info required to determine what the issue is...

CRC, (Cyclic Redundancy Check), errors relate to the hash check value of a file... In this case, as the archive/cab is being created, each entry is hashed to generate a unique long value number which can be used to verify its content. This is done in order to check whether the archive is complete, or as been tampered with...., or if any of its contents have been tampered with.

If this error is detected within a .cab/zip/rar file, chances are that the compressed file has:
a) Been scribbled and will output garbage... ie - if you downloaded this file, guess what....
b) Been infected - some nefarious individual/application has modified the contents, without repairing the footer to reflect the new md5/crc value, therefore, chances are that running any of the contained apps will simply see you volunteering for the Darwin Awards....
c) May have been legitimately altered by the original user... but wait... this is being reported from a .cab file... so NO.

Option a or b....?

Are you getting this error on ALL cab files, or just one or two in particular....?

Does this happen when trying to install a particular application or ALL applications...

The devil's in the detail.... :)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

It could be a faulty cd-rom problem and not a software problem.
Cyclic Redundancy Check errors normally occur when the disk cannot be read properly but it could also be the cab files. Have you tried the disk in another rom
syntheticdarkness

Post by syntheticdarkness »

Ok. I try to install something when it gets to a (random) file is says crc error the data does not meat that in the setups cab file. But a few never gave this erroe (DOOMIII, nfsu2,) most applications (non-games) go through but they dont have big install files. This tends to happen alot on the nag or pcformat disks as this is where most people get there demos. I have a dual boot (win 2000 pro, win 98se) and win 98se never gave me any problems at all with this kind of thing. I also have 2 cd-roms and no matter which one the disk is in it still gives this problem. Even if the install file is on my hdd.