Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Review)

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Garret

Post by Garret »

on level 2, how do you get past the closing trap doors.

I've tried using the gravity gun to pull a body into the way so I can try get past but with no luck.

thanks in advance.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Garret wrote:on level 2, how do you get past the closing trap doors.

I've tried using the gravity gun to pull a body into the way so I can try get past but with no luck.

thanks in advance.
You have to use Hell Time. (The artifact you just received after killing the 1st Hunter). That's why there's bodies, so that you can charge it.

Keep it handy for the other 2 Hunters to.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

dom wrote:
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Holy S*it :o is doom 3 ROE out, I never knew that oh well, I only will be able to get it at the end of the month :( thats when i can get 2 Newcastle.

Oh wait I am going to NewCastle this weekend hmm but only getting pain on the 25th :cry: Oh well I can wait
You play Doom 3 on the rig in your sig?
What is my rig not good enough for you. Dude remember I don't get paid 10 or 20 grand, What I got is what I can afford and Yes i can play it on my machine with medium detail, shadows on, anti 2X I get 20 fps.
Garret

Post by Garret »

Rayne: cool man.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

No problem.

You'll notice the game forces you to use the items you newly obtain immediately thereafter, starting with the (forgot the name now, ...Levithan something...) gravity gun.
TheAlteredState

Post by TheAlteredState »

Rayne wrote:My game does not cover all angles of my monitor fully, ie there's a rough 1cm something odd blank patch on the bottom and sides. Why is that? I selected everything from 640x480 to 1600x1200 and the larger the resolution the smaller the display. It wasn't like this Saturday. :?

I'm running the newest Catalyst 5.4 with a 1280x1024, 32, 85Hz resolution.

The game also almost ran to standstill on 2 occasions like an hour and half hour ago. Even a restart didn't fix it. I had to drag it out. And this was in places where I literally already killed all the demons so there was nothing onscreen except scenery. You guys had this problem?

PS : I really don't see the "wow" factor in this expansion. It's the same old same old if you ask me.

Didn't finish it yet but I killed the second hunter and received the second artifact before I stopped playing earlier. How far to go?
That's the problem right there! ATI! *sigh

Haven't you learned yet!
Significantly different from a normal waking beta wave state!
style121

Post by style121 »

Must admit i was a little dissapointed with this one. Not much has changed since the last installment, and all the cheap scare tactics ID used are getting a bit tired. How about the one right in the beginning of the game where you walk into a particular room and the screen goes red and the sound booms. Thats not horror, thats like someone sneaking up on you with your back turned while you're engrossed in something else.

Closet monsters? Yeh right! Cause bloodthirsty demons would definately go to the first closet they can find, to scare the bejeezus out of someone.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

@TheAlteredState: X800XTPE. I doubt that...

@style121:I 2nd that.
Garret

Post by Garret »

There still isn't any game out there (except HL2) that equals the graphics of Doom 3 - I'm actually trying not to finisht the game in one or two evenings, only playing on weekends.

I'm really enjoying the expansion pack - just got berserk, haven't used it yet.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's cool. Now you can take on a few Imps with yout fists. :P

It's easy, their fireballs are slow.

Do it with the Hunters too :twisted: (Hee hee, no don't) :lol:
aXe

Post by aXe »

I just ordered my copy!
MRG
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I did some troubleshooting today and came up with the following :

If I add the command : seta r_displayRefresh "85Hz" in the 2x DoomConfig.cfg files (which should apparently have been there already as stated by tweakguides.com) found in the Doom3 Base and d3xp directories using Notepad my game runs perfect, as in covers my whole screen and does away with lagging. But, and here's the but, when I restart my pc and then start-up the games (D3 & ROE) I have the same problem as before, whereas the display renders in the middle of my monitor and the game gets so slow it very quickly becomes unplayable. When I close the games and then again check these files the adjustments have disappeared. :?

How is that possible. I marked it "Read Only". It could not have been overridden could it?

85Hz is my monitors default refresh rate at 1280x1024 resolution and is also clamped thereto within my drivers as well as DirectX Overide.

How can these latest and greatest games then still revert back to 60Hz? It's impossible. :evil:

Now please guys, would one of you oke's that installed ROE kindly open your 2x DoomConfig.cfg files and check as to whether or not you guys have this value listed there or not, if so where etc...

Playing like this is really annoying!

Help me out please guys.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Well I managed to buy ROE yesterday, I finished within 6 hours, which means it was too short however I enjoy every Minute of it. I must say the battle with the Maledict was much better than the cyberdemon. Damn that Maledict was hard. Now that I am playing on veteran I would hate to see how hard he is now.

I also love the Vulgar, he is so much better than the imp.

Howevere guys i wanna ask you a question, how do you convert from TGA to bitmap? I have taken alot of screenshots (nearly 600 megs) and there are some good ones that i wanna put on as wallpaper but i need to get it out of TGA form and convert it 2 bitmap.

Any suggestions?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

You need a photo editor, like Photoshop, Corel, Serif etc.

Just open the .tga's and export to .jpg's or simply do a batch convert that will save you time.

PS : If you don't have any of these aps just download GIMP, it's open-source and should do the trick.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Thanx Rayne, I'll try it out.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Btw I had a hard time looking through your huge amounts of responses guys so I eventually decided to fix my own problem thank you very much (.autoexec, as advised by nvnews.com)... :P
redman

Post by redman »

I've just finished the game 3 days ago,it was one cool game but short.i never enterd one single cheat,it was kind of hard thow doing it over and over again to pas the hard parts,the (end) is the best part. :o :D