Google plans 2 increase Gmail storage to 2G

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

This is actually a very interesting perspective, jee.

Also, the Mozilla "aquisation" - didn't even know about that! When did that happen? And why "aquired" in inverted commas? Anything not-so-legal involved here?
jee

Post by jee »

Illegal? hmm no, I think not, but my granny always use toe recognise a certain glint in my eye and would tell me that I'm ready to "knoei" Firefox and Google have been very "close" and things like the seemingly last development of Firefox 1.7.6 and the recent Thunderbird, Mozilla.org will no longer develop it, although it seems that they have no problem with other developers taking it over.
source

Perhaps I'm paranoid... Don't know.. In my field we have worked for so long to index information so that it can be easily accessed... I do not like some of the stuff I have read regarding Google's ranking processes and policies. If you are interested, searchenginewatch.com has more.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

How much do you guys get sent? 2gigs? Or do you actually use it to store stuff?

Maybe a new hdd is in order?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
pesospesos

Post by pesospesos »

HA! 2053 MB!
Core 2 Duo E8400
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
4 GB twinx ddr800
Gigabyte 9800GTX
500GB & 320GB Seagate hdd
Benq 22" Widescreen
Asbestos

Post by Asbestos »

jee wrote:and things like the seemingly last development of Firefox 1.7.6 and the recent Thunderbird, Mozilla.org will no longer develop it, although it seems that they have no problem with other developers taking it over.
source
The source says that Mozilla will be continuing development on FireFox and Thunderbird but will no longer be maintaining the Mozilla Application Suite (Seamonkey). :P

pesospesos wrote:HA! 2053 MB!
Guess they just decided to keep on going, probably to stay ahead of the other *free* email services, and to keep them on their toes.
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

pesospesos wrote:HA! 2053 MB!
By now its actually sitting on 2075MB!

Does anyone have a quicker way of deleting 1023MB's of GMAIL trash mail?
It can only be done by the 100's! and on a slow connection its a pain!
1023MB's in my gmail account is the equivalent of 15333 eMails!
This is the result of being a part of 549 yahoo groups!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Good lord man! 2075MB!?!?! Jy wil mos is all I can say... LOL! :lol:
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

actually, In the time between that post and now, its gone up to 2076MB!
capanno

Post by capanno »

Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

2079 now...Looks like we will get 2Mb's extra space per day!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Have any of you ever wondered how many servers Google actually has??? Just imagine - 2Gb of space per person (if they actually have enough space for each person!).

If only 1million people have G-Mail (and it's definitely WAY more than that): That equates to almost 2000Tb or 2'000'000Gb! Where the hell do they keep the servers that store this st*t-load of data :?: :?: :?:

And then the bandwidth required to simultaneously host all those accounts? They must have a couple of hundred of gigabit connections.... 8O 8O 8O
jee

Post by jee »

That then makes you aks - why give all this for free.. what is their kickback? Advertising? from whom? How safe is your privacy?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Richard_

Confidentiality

Post by Richard_ »

Well their privacy policy does state "blablabla etc" but it still makes you think about confidential documents!

As for their side-bar advertising scheme, I can just imagine reading some confidential business plan in my inbox, and up comes the advert, "Click here to view top-secret confidential documents that we found in someone else's inbox"! :lol:
Soap

Post by Soap »

In an interview, the Google CEO ensured that all sidebar advertising is machine generated and no person sees your emails. But heck, they run the servers, so they can check all your emails. Hmmm, where's the guaranteed privacy here?
eagerBeaver

Post by eagerBeaver »

Soap wrote:In an interview, the Google CEO ensured that all sidebar advertising is machine generated and no person sees your emails. But heck, they run the servers, so they can check all your emails. Hmmm, where's the guaranteed privacy here?
Which means anyone, no matter who you use to send your mail, can read your e-mail unless you have your own private mail server.
ZING!
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

good point eagerbeaver, i was just about to say that when i read Soap's post!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Come to think of it, that is definitely true! And the easiest way to see this in action is if you host your own site. All you need to do is create an extra email address, and then browse to the mail directory with an FTP program. Easy as that!

Unless of course the mail is encrypted on Google's servers, which I doubt!
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

Anyway if google can read personal info, what they gonna do with it...
If i recieve an email from someone that loves me, and google reads it, what're they gonna do with it? sell it to the cape argus?
Out of the whole world, how the hell are they gonna pick my email out of millions of emails in their mail directory? I think i should send my CV to google and ask for a position as a part-time Mail Reader!
jee

Post by jee »

laugh all you like boys, there is a difs between having a post box somewhere where you d'l your post everyday and one where everythinng is kept on someone's server. On one of my listservs there have been interesting stories regarding soem "ads" tat siddendly appear after workrelated e-mails.... I will not leave anything confidential on theri server... well not on any server but my own for that matter - it just makes sense to me
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Hehehe. Ja, good idea.

No, but still - the reason to read your mail may not be there, but the option to do so is. And that makes you think twice if you have confidential stuff.
jee

Post by jee »

Rid hunni, i dont think its so much google reading your e-male as a bot having access to your information to find key words to report back to google so that thye can sell advertising...
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

**Major off-topic**

jee >> Lovely avvie! :razz:

thanks creator! - Master Narkath is the best - jee
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

@ Jee > huh? Ive confused myself now too?
aXe

Post by aXe »

I think they are going to far now, yahoo is chaning to 1Gb now aswell
MRG
Prime

Post by Prime »

but google has over 2gb free. hotmail is only 2mb free isn't it.

the prrivacy isssue on gmail is a huge bone of contention