PC Format Ahead

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Y0da wrote:It's called humour. Do you honestly think I'm obsessed with seeing our beloved editor in a compromising photo shoot? No wait, don't answer that. :wink:
...but like a fool he answered it anyway.....

One can never tell, particularly if one is me.

...how hardware works...and what to do when it doesn't
[other than bin it]
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I have not seen the DVD that is used on the UK edition? But if it is the same type of thing as our local mag then why do we not just use the UK DVD. In otherv words let them print an extra xxxxxxx for SA? We could be one month behind for logistical reasons? Just a thought?
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Regarding all these 'how does hardware work', did no one buy the Jan issue of PCFormat. It is packed with just that type of info, I found it extremely helpful!
Futs

Post by Futs »

Y0da
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:22 pm Post subject:
It's called humour. Do you honestly think I'm obsessed with seeing our beloved editor in a compromising photo shoot? No wait, don't answer that. Wink
After the body odor topic anything is possible :P
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

How about a Classified section 8)
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

:) Yep.....I got my issue this week, Sir Knight and was also pleased to see some many techy articles......factor in the inclusion of Vue de' Esprit 3L.E.
on the cover disc and I was over te moon.

CLASSIFIED INFORMATION.......Ooooooh...that should bring out the hackers among us
<Blanket disclaimer>xyztw</Blanket disclaimer>
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
bubble_boy

Post by bubble_boy »

lancelot wrote:Regarding all these 'how does hardware work', did no one buy the Jan issue of PCFormat. It is packed with just that type of info, I found it extremely helpful!
no i havn`t got the jan issue yet, didnt know it was gonna come out. When i say how hardware work i mean things like: take a joystick steering wheel, what happens when you press the accelerator, how do the boards inside the wheel work to decode the various signals. what are the signals that are sent out.? even if its just the basics with links to where we can find out more technical info on the subject... this id just an example...
i probably had something to say if you are reading this.
MrG

Post by MrG »

I enjoy your hardware reviews, keep the CPU,MB and Gtaphics Card reviews every month. Game Reviews are good. Demos on cover disc is good, but lets try and get more. In the past demo's where small and now they are bigger, but the size of the Cover Disc remained the same. Try and either put two Cover Discs on or a DVD. 8xxMB is Half Life 2 as an example to how would you put that on the disc... most new games will be like this. Otherwise you have a great mag... dont change to much :wink:
HTTP://WWW.MRG.ZA.NET
YOUR PC NEEDS MET
WoolyBadBaba

Post by WoolyBadBaba »

Some modding how-to's please......for those of us who are not as good as MrBean. :lol:

C2D E4300 | ASUS P5B-MX WiFi | 1GB Kingston DDR2-667 | XFX GeForce 7600 GS

"Most people end up going to bed when
they're not sleepy and waking up when they are."
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Yeah, definately some modding how to's!!!
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

WiKiD wrote:Yeah, definately some modding how to's!!!
Yeah that would be awesome.

Also maybe some humour snippets from the forums, also a shout out to all the mod's in the mag. :)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Sonna

Post by Sonna »

wit_skapie wrote:
Or let me rather say more opensource articles, info, programs etc.
yode wrote:
A centerfold of each month's covergirl.
mmm I sense Wisdom… radiating from master Yoda it is.
Perhaps a handy M$ updates eg DirectX9c, XP Service Pack 2, official ATI and Nvidia drivers for those of us living in Pofadder whole only switch to internet in 2010 when our kerosene supply runs out
Perhaps a where to download page for interesting & “legal” downloads
Perhaps a “protect your PC” page with hints, tips and guidelines
Perhaps a informative comparison between fixed lines, wireless internet access (inc Cellular pls), and ISP’s and costs
One thing vampire children have to be taught early on is, don't run with a wooden stake.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Yes i agree, a cd (or an extra bonus cd) with SP2 and all the critical windows updates that came after it would be very handy :) (seeing as i still can't work out a way to back them up)

A classified section could hold promise.

I like the day in the life of idea....... would give us some insight into the dark and dusty recesses of the PCF offices. Plus you could do a sort of back ground on each person, like what they studied, previous jobs, stuff like that...

A humour/cartoon page would be good
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I think if PCF hosted some events, every few months or so - like a LAN competition for example, that would be quite nice, get a sponsor to supply prizes to the winners.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Heya!!

I am loving all of your feedback - you guys have really put a lot of thought into what you would like to see in the mag - keep it up. I do have some answers already so here we go...

1. DVD - the cost of putting a DVD on the cover is still exhorbitantly expensive in SA. We would LOVE to do it - Cameron would be so excited about the space and the number of apps and demos he could put on it - but the cost would make buying the magazine locally as expensive as buying the UK issue.

2. Cartoon - In March we will be debuting our very own cartoon strip series called Pepper Spray Girl. She's tough, mean and kicks technology butt. We will, of course, love to get story ideas, character ideas and more from you readers.

3. Q&A: - I am assuming that you are referring to the abuse given by Luis in Ask Luis when you refer to people being abused when they ask questions? Is Ask Luis not enough? Can you explain this a little more please 8O

4. We will be increasing the size of the How To section once again this year due to incredible demand from the readers. This will definitely be something we will work on so please continue with feedback and ideas

5. Open Source - now this I am very passionate about so you will see more. How about giving me a list of ideas/story ideas/questions and more that you would like to see in the mag. The more ideas the better.
HdB

Post by HdB »

Why is putting a DVD on the cover so expensive? The discs are getting pretty cheap these days, we got some for about R8/disc in a 10-disc spindle
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ s939 | Gecube 3870 OC edition
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

R8/disc is still much more than what you would pay for CD's, they can be had for R4 and less per disc, and costs have stayed the same for a while. DVD's have only recently become a bit cheaper.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

*Hey where's this mth's mag? When will it be on shelf? Reading NAG 2 nights in a row sucks. So what's happening?*
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:R8/disc is still much more than what you would pay for CD's, they can be had for R4 and less per disc, and costs have stayed the same for a while. DVD's have only recently become a bit cheaper.
Sorry to jab this in... Its not aimed at you o great only one...

Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 8X Printable 50 Pack Spindle - On Special for R159.00

Now, if thats sold to the public, what can you get it for if you buy by the 500's ??

Do not use this excuse... It is cheaper to write a DVD now than it was to write a CD a year ago... If you are a big company and buy in big numbers it is cheap...

For those that cannot calculate -- The above means a DVD costs R3.18 each.... Now... There goes the R4 or less a CD problem...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
eagerBeaver

Post by eagerBeaver »

Where is my beloved new PC Format ??
ZING!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah where is it?
eagerBeaver

Post by eagerBeaver »

why dont they put a relase date on the home page ?
ZING!
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

I would like to see the latest ATi (5.1) and Nvidia drivers...

@ Slasher you got a good point there :)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah he does. This nah most pple can't afford DVD's is getting old, fast 2.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Yay... I got followers...

Now grab ye torches & pitchforks.... :P
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za