Half Life 2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
style121

Post by style121 »

Half life 2 is single player, counter strike Source is the multiplayer game which is bundled with HL2, and Steam is the medium by which you can download a copy of the 2 without the need for cd's, and also enables you to play multiplayer over their internet servers.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

No. Counter Strike Source is HL2's multiplayer.

This is a singleplayer game only.

(Lets all use the other HL2 thread from now on guys. That 1'nes more detailed & informative.)
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I took this from the locked thread if you want to discuss this further.
Pure Acid wrote:Dunno what to make of this, but it seems that Valve has released a 'warez' version themselves through Bittorent of HL2. When a user uses it it'll contact Valve, and Valve is keeping track of IPs and God knows what else. Now warez is of course bad stuff, but what Valve is doing there is breaking a privacy rule or ten also. Or could this be a good bluf ?
Let me show you the complete post as found on halflife2.filefront.com :
Recently, one of the HL2Files.com members here, alerted me of a pirated warez version of Half-Life 2, apparently released via the Bittorent network. I immediately, forwarded this to Gabe Newell of VALVe Software.

A couple of hours later, Gabe replied with the following:
Quote:

We're running a bit of an experiment. We're keeping track of the accounts that do this and will be shutting them off.

So, as you can see, VALVe Software have released a test "warez" version aimed at catching people out. These people will have their accounts deleted and will be banned from Steam.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you DO NOT participate in these illegal activities as it would only lead to your own harm.

VALVe Software spent over $40 Million to develop Half-Life 2. Show them you appreciate their work. Buy the game!

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Pure_Acid

Post by Pure_Acid »

Yes thanks now there will be millions of people answering to a Headless quote from a locked post they did not maybe even see.

You know I am just going to keep quite because obviously you cant say anything in these forums.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Your thread has been reopened, stop whining.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Well I can say that the longest report I now have in is 22 hours to get the game to work in offline mode. It took me 3 hours easily today and I am raging mad. While I respect the reasons behind this I think it is ridiculous and annoying. Especially for those of us who had to carry our PCs in to work today just so we could play the game. While the game is mind blowing and unbelievably better than any of us could have dreamt of (seriously!) it is going to push people to consoles.

And what about those who haven't played the original - do you honestly think that they will be keen to try it out with this whole mission?

Still - at least it is done!
dammod

Post by dammod »

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!! To all of you that said HL2 would not run well on 6800 Ultra's!!!!! I run the game at the highest res with FULL detail (only "wait for vertical syinc" off...with it on there are some slow downs but they are few and far between) and it is smooooooooooooth :-) (and yes...driver settings are set to TOP quality) My whole PC at stock speeds.

...SO TAKE THAT :P >

no offence meant of course ;-)

How do you guys with Ati's run it? Res/detail/specs/average FPS/driver settings (top quality OR performance?)
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

Well I runned HL2 well on my Radeon 9600 Pro, with 1024x768 all high @ about 30-50 fps.....
Hoping that my new 6800 will beat the crap out of that!
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
MeercatMilker

Post by MeercatMilker »

My Radeon 9700 Pro gets 50-180 FPS @ 1024x768 AA2X, AF2X the rest on high.

Jacques
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

dammod wrote:How do you guys with Ati's run it? Res/detail/specs/average FPS/driver settings (top quality OR performance?)
X800XTPE = 1280x1024>High>Water Reflects All>6xAA>16xAF>Wait For VS.

Stutters after saving-points. Known bug.
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

OMW nice card!!
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
HdB

Post by HdB »

Hey, we've just expeienced something wierd.

Algernon just connected to steam to update his games, since steam had decided that it couldn't find the login info needed.

After all the updates were done, Half-Life 2 worked in online mode, but just kept saying it is not ready for offline mode, 99% complete. Also, the Half-life 2 disc was nowhere near the PC!

After connecting and disconnecting a few time we gave up and started searching the internet for help. After about ten minutes, we checked again, and voila, 100% completed!

So it looks like you should just be patient and keep the connection open for a while

Wierd
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ s939 | Gecube 3870 OC edition
dammod

Post by dammod »

Rayne wrote:
dammod wrote:How do you guys with Ati's run it? Res/detail/specs/average FPS/driver settings (top quality OR performance?)

Why is my card owning your card in HL2 like this? What is what for vertical synic?
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Half Life 2.

Enough said
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
jee

Post by jee »

Posted by MrG
Half Life 2 Review at Link Above with screen shots etc

Good morning and welcome to the black mesa research facility. This train is… We have all been in that train once in our lifetime, if you have not, well I can’t say much for you.

Half Life 2 takes you further in the steps of scientist Gordon Freeman. After the events of Half Life, the world has been on the verge of collapse. The combine a force that you originally stopped from taking control of Xen (which you actually never see in the original title) has returned, but this time focused on Earth as their primary target. Half Life 2 takes place in City 17, one of the only remaining urban centers where humans can survive. This city 17 is however under combine control.

Gordon Freeman quickly realizes that there is something that is no right with this place and begins to try and escape. His adventure starts again. He meets with some old friends from Black Mesa, and some new faces also come to greet the one free man.

Graphically is it beautiful. AI works really well and physics are not of this century. Everything reacts the way it should. Level design is flawless. Halo’s cut and past design is not present in Half Life 2. This game uses the Direct X 9.0 effects to the full. The water shines and shimmers it is a masterpiece. Older hardware can also play this game, but you will lose all the wonderful effects the Source engine delivers.

There is enough of everything in this game. Story takes you deep into the game, while sometime there is no story and all and just plain fighting which is a great mix. The guns handle very well, and are extremely entertaining. I run a Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and GeForce FX 5900, which handled it perfectly. I would recommend having 1GB ram as the game is really heavy on the ram at the higher settings. The gravity gun is one of the best guns in the game. You can have a lot of fun with this gun. At the end, well let me just say its just evil!!! Half Life 2 does not even need to be reviewed; the consumer should know that Half Life 2 is always going to be a leading brand. Get out there and buy it!

94%
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

And she moves it, 8O

such a friendly little moderator 8)
dammod

Post by dammod »

Tiza wrote:Half Life 2.

Enough said
:?
MrG

Post by MrG »

More Half Life 2 threads!!! Everywhere I look... HL2
HTTP://WWW.MRG.ZA.NET
YOUR PC NEEDS MET
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

MrG wrote:More Half Life 2 threads!!! Everywhere I look... HL2
You should of expected that when the game hits the shelves the forums will rampage about this kickass game
Who knows more about electricity than the Amish?
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Just installed HL2 Collectors' Edition (screw the t-shirt, I just wanted the game on a single DVD) - everything seems fine so far (even the much-dreaded Steam updates went smoothly, believe it or not 8O ) although decrypting the local files took about 25 mins.

Can't even play it yet as I need to pack before catching the first of a series of flights this afternoon *sigh*
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

dammod wrote:
Rayne wrote:

Why is my card owning your card in HL2 like this? What is what for vertical synic?
Bah. dammod don't be silly mate...
Moses

Post by Moses »

Rayne:
I'm running mine at 1600x1200, everything else ditto.
runs perfectly.
??
dammod

Post by dammod »

Rayne wrote:
dammod wrote:
Rayne wrote:

I run mine at 1920x???? with all the graphics at full and it is really smooth...always over 25 FPS. And why do you only have yours at 1280x1024.
dammod

Post by dammod »

Rayne wrote:
dammod wrote:
Rayne wrote:

What are your PC specs?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Moses wrote:Rayne:
I'm running mine at 1600x1200, everything else ditto.
runs perfectly.
??
What you mean by ditto. Disabled?