Networking XP Machines

Network problem solving and tweaks
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Networking XP Machines

Post by neon_chameleon »

Hi everyone,

I have got a friend at my house now. For some reason, I can't get his pc to connect to my house network. He's running XP (no SP's), and I've got SP 1 installed and SP 2 on other. Does that effect it, I remember there being something mentioned about this before.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Not that i know off, i have i pc with sp2, one with sp1, one with no sp's and a linux pc running on the network, everything is fine.

Have you checked his ip's, his subnet mask, and what protocols he has installed.

If for some reason you have ipx installed it must be set to 802.3 (Goto the ipx properties and change it)
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

JEdiWaNNaBE wrote:Not that i know off, i have i pc with sp2, one with sp1, one with no sp's and a linux pc running on the network, everything is fine.

Have you checked his ip's, his subnet mask, and what protocols he has installed.

If for some reason you have ipx installed it must be set to 802.3 (Goto the ipx properties and change it)
Hi shot for the help.

Yeah, thought that it could work with any sp. Yeah ip and subnet mask fine. Running TCP/IP.

He had ZA, but we disabled it. He does, for some reason, often run windows update, could that cause it?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

I don't think it would. Have you tried another cable? or if you can another nic (Or plug on the switch).

Otherwise get the hammer out :D
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

JEdiWaNNaBE wrote:I don't think it would. Have you tried another cable? or if you can another nic (Or plug on the switch).

Otherwise get the hammer out :D
I tried another cable, but it can't be the cable I'm using it on mine to connect to my dial-up server now. Tried a different plug on the switch as well.

Well the NIC configuraton was correct and it did say device was working properly. Maybe it was just a virus. He did have Blaster. Would Blaster disable network connections.

Getting the hammer is my dad's solution for pc's.

Well we move all his data onto another hdd and re-installed XP, and it did connect alright now. I reckon it was his dodgy windows update, why on earth would you run those dodgy things.

We are now having a problem trying to play q3a mulitple. He installed it on his pc, yet the screen was flickering like crazy and pc froze when exiting. I'm downloading the latest Geforce drivers for him, he has a 4200 Ti, is this (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93) the correct place for 'em? (I only have had ATI cards).
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

I think so. I also only gave ATI cards, but if it's from nvidia's site, then i guess it must be correct.

At least he now has a fresh windows install :D
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

JEdiWaNNaBE wrote:
At least he now has a fresh windows install :D
Yeah, it needs to be done with Microsoft stuff.. every 30 days.