Internet Connectivity

Network problem solving and tweaks
itwerx

Internet Connectivity

Post by itwerx »

:D The new RMBA internet service provider went online today. Internet for R49 per month ...it's a blast! In my view its about time someone did somthing about ISP costs. Get it...visit http://www.itwerx.co.za. Tell me what you think of internet connectivity costs in South Africa?
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

I actually have XSI-Net , R79 pm for 64kb ISDN...

I dont have problem with that... Only Telkoms service and prices of peeps such as MWeb...

Viva Sentech... :twisted:
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
DarkStreetDevelopment

Post by DarkStreetDevelopment »

I'd stay clear of newly opened ISP's for about a couple of months or a year, just to see if they'll last.
PCGuy

Sound like advertising to me

Post by PCGuy »

Try Sentech. As much bad press that they get, I think they will do better than most offerings out there,
1) it is a permament connection
2) no cap.
3) It is Wireless!

With IDSL, cap is 3GB with purchase of 3GB blocks at R200 or so.
With ADSL or ISDN, you need to connect at your point.

Cheers.
http://www.comx.co.za
amdretard

Re: Sound like advertising to me

Post by amdretard »

PCGuy wrote:Try Sentech. As much bad press that they get, I think they will do better than most offerings out there,
1) it is a permament connection
2) no cap.
3) It is Wireless!

With IDSL, cap is 3GB with purchase of 3GB blocks at R200 or so.
With ADSL or ISDN, you need to connect at your point.

Cheers.
http://www.comx.co.za
The Cons are
1)crap pings for games

the real only solution to online gaming is to get adsl but thats capped so we are screwed
My friends think i need a life. What do you think?
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I have been wondering what sort of data amounts are used when playing online games. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but exactly how much data are you downloading when you're playing a game online?
human slave in an insect nation
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

if you have a 3.2 k /s connection you will
send 1k/s and recieve 2.2k/s
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Actually, I am using ADSL, that's why I was wondering. I was curious as to what the impact would be on my usage...
human slave in an insect nation
DBG

Post by DBG »

I am using ournet wireless permanent conection successfully. I have been very happy.
A lot of gamers are using their service as well. (no cap on bandwidth usage).
They can probably point you to a (non sentech) wireless supplier in your area without the bad vibes.

I enclose a link for you guys to check it out.

http://www.ournet.co.za/id16.htm
Hostkill

Post by Hostkill »

Im useing Iburst with a few changes here and their i get 20 - 40 some times 56 ping with counter strike and befor i played around with some setting i had a pind of up to 200 and i still played great. their is a cap pf 3G. the best thing is i can go around to my mates places hook up iburst and have fun....
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

why the ********** hell are none of these wireless service's in KZN what does no-one know we exist? we are one of SA's hottest tourist spots. *grumble**grumble*
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Leigh wrote:I have been wondering what sort of data amounts are used when playing online games. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but exactly how much data are you downloading when you're playing a game online?
I dunno about exact amounts, but usually not very much.

The important thing with online gaming is not bandwidth, it's latency.
Bandwidth is defined as the raw amount of data you can suck down in a given time period
Latency is how long it takes between sending a request, and receiving the response to that request.

While they seem very similar, and can indeed affect one another, they are not the same.

For example: Satellite net connections can have a very high transfer rate (bandwidth). Unfortunately, they are all the way up in space, so it takes a hell of a long time for anything to happen (latency)
The corollary to satellite is normal dialup. It usually has a very low bandwidth, but the latency over copper is very small, and thus excellent for gaming.

The bests physical analogy is with hosepipes. Satellite would be a 1km long pipe the size of a dinner plate, whereas dialup would be a regular size hosepipe that goes around your garden once. The hosepipe responds to changes at the tap quicker, but can shift less water than the massive pipe.

Hope that explanation helps :P
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Hostkill

Post by Hostkill »

well Anakha56 i know that iburst will be in kzn not long in the future i would have to say a few months or so, big things are happning with the product and new options are being made now as we type.