The Official SWTOR thread.

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Sojourn

Re: The Official SWTOR thread.

Post by Sojourn »

Grey, I get you with the new wow content - Blizz corrected the quest bombardment with a decent flow of events that is good.
When I referred to the wow quests, I meant the vanilla quests and some quests in burning crusade.
I am also not talking about random gathering stuff - I am specifically referring to certain level 15 -50 quest arcs in vanilla that had massive stories behind it, spanning between 5 -10 quests following on each other.

A lot of players would rush past the one objective to the next, just for that blue reward at the end.
Player behavior is heavily driven by reward and how fast you can get it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

D3PART3D, you are getting sidetracked here. Sub-plots and fillers to make the game rich are required in any game to set the atmosphere and to create a history. How can you criticise them for doing that? As for the ACTUAL story, some would like it some would not. No novel ever pleased every reader. You cannot expect the same from a game.

So if you are not pleased with a story or content or how they present it, frankly, that's up to you.
For me those contained great story-lines that immersed me when playing.

Also consider that this will be an MMO, not a single player.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Sojourn wrote:Grey, I get you with the new wow content - Blizz corrected the quest bombardment with a decent flow of events that is good.
When I referred to the wow quests, I meant the vanilla quests and some quests in burning crusade.
I am also not talking about random gathering stuff - I am specifically referring to certain level 15 -50 quest arcs in vanilla that had massive stories behind it, spanning between 5 -10 quests following on each other.

A lot of players would rush past the one objective to the next, just for that blue reward at the end.
Player behavior is heavily driven by reward and how fast you can get it.
I see what you are saying, and I agree. Lets just hope Bioware comes up with something that will change that.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Sojourn wrote:D3PART3D, you are getting sidetracked here. Sub-plots and fillers to make the game rich are required in any game to set the atmosphere and to create a history. How can you criticise them for doing that? As for the ACTUAL story, some would like it some would not. No novel ever pleased every reader. You cannot expect the same from a game.

So if you are not pleased with a story or content or how they present it, frankly, that's up to you.
For me those contained great story-lines that immersed me when playing.

Also consider that this will be an MMO, not a single player.
Okay, I could see things from that perspective. Personal preference I guess. Star Wars is a pre-existing IP after all, so they aren't under much pressure to be very orignal in any case.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

D3PART3D wrote:Star Wars is a pre-existing IP after all, so they aren't under much pressure to be very orignal in any case.
Uncle Lucas have them under close scrutiny.
If you look at the game trailers and released sneek peeks, this will be very innovative.
Man, I am so fired for this game.
Ghostspock

Post by Ghostspock »

I have a bad feeling about this game.
Guild Wars: Active, World of Warcraft: Subscribed
Tabula Rasa: Canceled, WAR: Canceled, Aion: Canceled
Star Trek Online: Lifetime Subscription, Lotro: Canceled
RIFT: Canceled, Age of Empires; Canceled
The Old Republic: Boycotting, GW 2: Awaiting Release
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Ghostspock wrote:I have a bad feeling about this game.
Motivate please?
Or is this one of those arbitrary comments with no substance, "because you don't know, but just feel so"..? :roll:

If you take the time to go through their official site with trailers, and I am not just talking about cinematics, I refer to game-play trailers, you have to reach a different conclusion.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Looks like it could be great!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Ghostspock

Post by Ghostspock »

Sojourn wrote:
Ghostspock wrote:I have a bad feeling about this game.
Motivate please?
Or is this one of those arbitrary comments with no substance, "because you don't know, but just feel so"..? :roll:

If you take the time to go through their official site with trailers, and I am not just talking about cinematics, I refer to game-play trailers, you have to reach a different conclusion.

Too much hype. People is going to expect to much. Gameplay trailers gives you a false sense of security (AION anyone). Its not going to be Star Wars as we know it.

OR

It's a play on the only line that was used in all the movies.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Ghostspock wrote:Too much hype. Its not going to be Star Wars as we know it.
OR
Well, unlike most other MMO games, the SW galaxy history and everything that sets the tone and flavor are all pre-existing, with a massive cult following.

George Lucas have a dedicated team, reporting straight to him, that triple verifies every factual point and detail inside the game, from the simple stuff like the way a wookie walks and talks to the sound effects inside a spaceship, up to the big stuff like political situation, races and classes being portrayed correctly. If anything, it will be exactly as it is supposed to be.

As for "a play on the only line from the movies" ... This mmo is based on events hundreds (thousands?) of years before the 6 SW movies, so there is no story relation to DarthV or LukeS, as all of that is in the future.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I'm sure some good things have happened during the 8 months this thread was last updated. To anyone with a Bioware account I suggest you log in and see if there isnt a surprise waiting on you.

For some unknown reason I am a participant in the SWTOR beta. I didn't sign up for it which ticked off one of my friends and secondly there is rumours that we aren't part of the official launch.

Maybe they saw my 6 year WoW record and figured I would make a good recruit? But check your mail today. As beta keys are only avalible until tonight 11:59pm. From there it will go into step 2.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Ghostspock

Post by Ghostspock »

Sojourn wrote:
Ghostspock wrote:Too much hype. Its not going to be Star Wars as we know it.
OR
Well, unlike most other MMO games, the SW galaxy history and everything that sets the tone and flavor are all pre-existing, with a massive cult following.

George Lucas have a dedicated team, reporting straight to him, that triple verifies every factual point and detail inside the game, from the simple stuff like the way a wookie walks and talks to the sound effects inside a spaceship, up to the big stuff like political situation, races and classes being portrayed correctly. If anything, it will be exactly as it is supposed to be.

As for "a play on the only line from the movies" ... This mmo is based on events hundreds (thousands?) of years before the 6 SW movies, so there is no story relation to DarthV or LukeS, as all of that is in the future.

Seems like my bad feeling was justified, SWTOR will not be released in SA. You can import a copy for between R850-00 and R1000-00 if you want but theres no guarantee that it will work.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

What about just paying for it on Origin? After all you need origin installed I believe.

But I will post my thoughts if they haven't just decided to kick me out of the beta after inviting. "Sorry, have a free game" I would settle for though.
My Steam Screenshots

Ghostspock

Post by Ghostspock »

StarBound wrote:What about just paying for it on Origin? After all you need origin installed I believe.

But I will post my thoughts if they haven't just decided to kick me out of the beta after inviting. "Sorry, have a free game" I would settle for though.
Because of the big "hooha" about origin they decided you wont need it to install or run the game. You cannot buy SWTOR through origin if your registered as living in SA.

If you try it, this is the message you get,

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not available in your region

To maintain a high quality of service, only certain regions worldwide will be able to pre-order Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Sign up for the newsletters on SWTOR.COM to learn when the game will be available in your area.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
© 2011 Electronic Arts Inc. Trademarks belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Heard about that yesterday. My internet is coughing. SA internet CANNOT do 20gb in a day to save its life. I'm pretty sure my account is being gunned for atm but all the more reason why I cancelled it for the end of the month and start a fresh, clean, soon to be abused slate.

I also wish that GW2 would just come out already. Every bit of innovation they used so far has been soaked up in every mmo getting released since last years GDC. But also they cant risk releasing a beta in this time and age.
My Steam Screenshots

Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Ghostspock wrote:
Sojourn wrote:
Ghostspock wrote:

Seems like my bad feeling was justified, SWTOR will not be released in SA. You can import a copy for between R850-00 and R1000-00 if you want but theres no guarantee that it will work.
Yes there is. They have stated over and over again there will be no ip blocks. They are restricting the sales but if you can get your hands on it you will be able to play.

If they weren't going to allow us to play, they would have blocked us during the beta. I played without any issues.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Maybe your guild post should get merged.
My Steam Screenshots

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Here is a review for the beta.

Read the comments, MOST people like it and have good things to say. I for one, am going to buy this.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

For a beta it was very complete. I've only found a few things wrong with it but those can be corrected easily. But I think I have just out grown MMOs and that could be bad with GW2 sometime hopefully next year.
My Steam Screenshots

Interfan

Post by Interfan »

StarBound wrote:Maybe your guild post should get merged.
Fine with me if the mods want to merge it. I felt we should have seperate threads but either way is fine.

Personally I really like the beta last weekend. Was basicly kotor with other players running around as well. :D
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

It was nice but came sunday night and monday afternoon I was really burnt out from the game. I remember it took you 2 days to get from lvl1 to 20 in vanilla wow and this one seems to follow the same route. I did get tired of Corecant though. Everything started looking the same but that is where wow has the advantage of being able to be more creative with its areas.
My Steam Screenshots

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'm having trouble registering my beta testing account. The launcher won't accept my login details, says additional info is required. So I follow the link and update my info, but when I try to save, FF gives me an error that says Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

SykomantiS wrote:I'm having trouble registering my beta testing account. The launcher won't accept my login details, says additional info is required. So I follow the link and update my info, but when I try to save, FF gives me an error that says Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
Most likely you have added the 5 security questions. You need to add them before you can login. There could be an issue with the site and that's why ff can't load it.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

You need to add atleast 3 answers but since they aren't really a freedom of questions I had issues selecting the best ones.

But I am skipping this test phase. My friend that played the beta with me didn't get an invite and quite frankly I was completely burned out from last weekends 2 days of play.
My Steam Screenshots

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I did answer those questions- it was on completion that I got the error. Tried again this morning and finally succeeded, only to learn the beta testing ends this weekend- and still haven;t even managed to download the game files, much less play anything, because the friggin servers keep falling over or something. :|

EPIC. FAIL.