How the PC is making consoles look out of date

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Sojourn

Re: How the PC is making consoles look out of date

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:
DeathStrike wrote:i prefer some games on pc and other games on console.
so you're actively contributing to this?..

owning multiple platforms to game is like buying multiple pianos to play music... "special" and "unique"....
Sheldon Cooper would >not< agree.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I bought a ps3 at first to get around the need for steam. Granted I own all of this generations consoles I do feel utterly violated as a pc game consumer having to go online and activate, download and who knows what else just to get a game to work. The counter option is also a pointless practice as you need to have online capabilities to do it.

But coming back from ways to play games without having the publisher or developer spy on you the top console or 2 will now set the standard for games. Sad seeing as witcher 2 is the best game to hit anything this year. A game designed around the flavour of the day and not the mind around a port. Although I am very curious to see what the ps3 can pull off in uncharted 3. But that only further strengthens the point that you should developer for a single platform.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn wrote:Sheldon Cooper
look... i know i'm going to regret this... but who in the name of the screaming jelly baby is sheldon cooper?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I want to start a thread about how indie games are making proponents of the "superior hardware" argument look ridiculous.

That, and I'm buying a Nintendo Wii :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

look... i know i'm going to regret this... but who in the name of the screaming jelly baby is sheldon cooper?
He is a chatacter in A show about a bunch of scientist friends and a hot lady, The Big Bang Theory. It is worse than it sounds. It is funny sometimes, but the characters would have made more sense if it was set at Science Camp, with the hot chick being there after ditching cheerleader camp.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

StarBound wrote:... you should developer for a single platform.
I think that if you feel you can make money you can developer all you want.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

this on going battle is so frustrating! they make games exclusively for xbox... they make games exclusively for PS3.... what ever happened to the games made exclusively for PC? They do it very rarely now or not at all, all because theres more money in xbox/ps3 titles than there is in pc... and there's less piracy... Don't get me wrong though im still the hugest pc fan and i cant justify buying a console because i know it will just sit eventually, but lets face it devolopers will go where the money is.... its sad really... consoles are so boring, they all look and perform identically like robots.... all pc's each have thier own characteristics and are just way more fun full stop...
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Witcher 2 was pc exclusive and will now be ported to xbox. Starcraft and WoW is still pc exclusive and you can see that in the detail of the games.
My Steam Screenshots

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

but like i said its very rare dude... its not as common as what it is for ps3 or xbox.... like forza, tekken, uncharted etc. all those ps3, xbox titles that will never see a pc, its so lame.... and what do us pc users get exclusivley? not even a hand full of games....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

It is different markets. I like to game. While it is the developers job to make sure it runs as best it can I've seen more modded and improvements made from modding communities.

Let's take a silly example but NES/SNES/Genesis emulators provide a much better looking experience. I've seen Twin Bee and Battle City running in high res and looking damn good at it. Neither the Wii, Xbox or PS3 does that and that is sad. The people that is getting the money for work is not doing anything about it.

Exclusive titles is what always seperated the systems from each other. FPS titles generally suck on console. That might be the reason we have seen these degraded FPS games in the first place. I don't remember the last health pack shooter I played. Maybe it was HL2 Ep2?

But what is really really sad is that where Simcity 2000 sold a million unites and everyone was happy. Now a game doesnt move 3 million and it gets booted. Piracy is taking a back seat to 2nd hand games with the one being stealing and the other one just plain money grubbing.

It is actually amazing that dispite this that there are still pc games coming out. Not just that but some of these games press borders and boundaries that have long been awaited.
My Steam Screenshots

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

ya for sure, i totally get where u coming from with the piracy and the fact that pc games are still coming out...and i totally understand the reason for porting xbox games to pc.... they kill like 3 birds with one stone....

1. they target console market which is blooming and piracy isnt really an issue, and they make a killing.
2. they save money by only having 1 huge budget for game development for two platforms, and probably a side team to port the game to pc....
3. they still release all the big titles to pc keeping the pc gaming community happy whilst not losing as much money due to piracy...

BUT.... why cant they give us some sort of pc exclusivity somehow.... eg. proper graphics options menu and maybe get rid of all the annoying images and xbox instructions? (Press A to preform an......) these are simple things that can be sorted out so why not do them? save money and please both end users? assassins creed, crysis2,fifa11,mirrors edge. just to name a few....

and you are totally right about pc games being released that still press borders.... like metro 2033! I was astonished at the amount of detail that went into that game, the visuals and the actual story.... but there are not enough of them... most games this year belong in dissapointing games of 2011 thread....
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

+1 jelly. Most recent pc games are disappointing because they are ported and there's nothing more irritating than when I want to configure my controls I look at an xbox controller on the screen and it never works the same. The biggest dissappointment is when I watched the trailer for Skyrim I was amazed, but then its apparently being developed mainly for the xbox, so the graphics are probably gona be dx9 and a port. So the controls are gonna be bad, and that's gonna put me off the game. I'll still finish it though:)
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks