Blocking ports through DynDNS

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Blocking ports through DynDNS

Post by DJT »

Morning Fellow Forumites!

Its Puza Thursday! But on a more serious note, I need some help with DynDNS. Here is the situation. I run a Minecraft SMP Server, and unfortunately until I get the hosting sorted properly, I am stuck with it being hosted from my office. I have set up a DynDNS address and I have a few players who I trust playng, but I really want to advertise and get more people playing. The problem is, if you punch in my Dyn address into Remote Desktop you reach my company's TS server. This is of course not safe and I don't want people to be able to try and connect in.

So, my question is, is there a way of blocking the RDP port through the DynDNS client or from their site? I still need the server accessable to other people using the company's DynDNS account so I can't turn off RDP for it.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this problem? I know if you ping the address it will still resolve to an IP address, and they can do it that way, but its an extra step and I'm hoping no Minecraft players are that crafty :P

Any help will be most appreciated.
Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Blocking ports through DynDNS

Post by hamin_aus »

Unless you know the IP address of everyone from your company who connects remotely there's not much you can do.

That being said I think the chances of you getting fired for hosting games servers on your company's network are greater than the chances of anyone gaining access to your terminal server - despite you making it frighteningly easy for them :P
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Re: Blocking ports through DynDNS

Post by DJT »

Haha, being IT admin has its perks. And I am not making it public here, for that very reason. And its only temporary until I get the hosting sorted, which should be any day
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook