Disappointing games of 2011

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Disappointing games of 2011

Post by StarBound »

4 Months has past this year and there has been a ton of games released. But not every game has either met expectations or the promises they set out to be. I'll keep bumping this thread every month until the end of the year and then maybe add a poll for the most disappointing game of 2011.

Setting the ground rules:
1 - Game must be avalible on PC. Even if it is a game designed for console it must have hit our pc harddrive to be eligible for the list.
2 - The game must have disappointed and doesnt have to be a bad game. Eg game was bad because of bugs vs game was disappointing because it was inferior to its sequel.
3 - It must be an issue that isnt corrected by a patch.
4 - DLC or anything paid to get the game where it should be is NOT considered as a patch.
5 - Patches fixing issues after your post doesnt count as you most probably stopped playing the game on the date you were fed up with the game.

So let's kick it into high gear. My disappointments for 2011 so far are:
Bulletstorm
Dragon Age 2
Homefront
Crysis 2

Bulletstorm is visually stunning and actually fun to play. The problem is that the entire control scheme is centered around *drumroll* a console controller. At first your annoyed at the sloppy control scheme for pc but as you go on the impact shifts from the control to the level layout. You have far reaching scenery but you are so restricted in the game that you cant jump over a small step blocking your way. You have to walk around it. Combining the run/jump/action key works in ME2 but not for a game where you need to double tap to perform a 4th function for the game. Developers, the keyboard has 104 standard keys. Learn to use them! And final insult to injury apon installing the game your greated by a GFWL login. Even if you dont log in or disagree you cant exit the game at all. Thats right! The quit game option is after you've registered/logged in.

Dragon Age 2... Mass Effect dark ages is a pretty straight forward game. You click and then kill stuff. The story so far isnt that bad but nothing as epic or as "all or nothing" as the first dragon age. Apart from the title you wouldnt even have known they are the same game. It wasnt the terrible frame rate before the first patch or even the missing dx11 showcase from the demo that made this game disappointing. It was the recycling of environments and the completely different gameplay that made it bad. Although I like the way it plays I do really dislike the hours of running around the same rooms over and over again. It's the kind of repetitive feeling you get after playing your 10th alt in the same starter area of WoW ...except on your first play through.

Homefront was the biggest wasted potential so far this year. A campaign that lasts 3 hours, a 7 chapter story, and a dull generic stage layout is what made this game bad. Topping it off is the best stage in the game that is so badly layed out you cant but lower your head in your palms and shake your head as the enemies look at you and ignore you.

Crysis 2. This game is everything that the first game isnt. It's restrictive, linear and lack any substance to make you care what your character is going through. The story isnt half bad, the graphics arent as good as the first but its still pretty good and the multiplayer is the best part of the package. Atleast if nothing else it has a decent play length. Now if only we can do something about the quick save button...
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
The_Jelly

Re: Disappointing games of 2011

Post by The_Jelly »

+1 for homefront comments.... THQ could of done a lot better with homefront but its left me feeling like it was a try hard Cod sequel vs frontlines fuel of war(which was made by THQ aswell and also used the unreal engine)

As for Crysis 2.... the first Crysis was made exclusively for PC so why bring out and xbox port that insults us pc gamers with 3 preset graphical options, and only support for dx9? as starbound said the game itself is good but linear.... i'll give crysis2 one thing... attention to detail... the stages are full of detail everywhere you look ... but thats all that stood out for me.....

I have a feeling shift 2 will make for a dissapointing title... just need to get my hands on it now... when i do ill post my views on it...

As for test drive 2 unlimted... The build up to its release was awesome, and what it promised was amazing, but what it delivered just didn't cut it... i was looking forward to a long anticipated, addictive racer... instead got a game with stunning enviroments and landscapes, which lack interaction... all that space to explore with nothing interesting to do??? the cars all look and sound the part (well most of them) but the physics just leave you frustrated. The narration was so bad, it left me wondering who in the right mind would spend so much time on the scenery getting it perfect and just slapping such cheesy voices into it... And lastly, im quite sure alot of people will feel my pain with this one... the fact that you cant edit or sell the cars you win in the duels... i was forced to buy cheap houses just so i could move that pink mustang and branded toureg out of my sight.... the game did have its good points but sadly the bad out weighed the good... i played it however just for the love of cars...
Last edited by The_Jelly on 29 Apr 2011, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
crathob

Post by crathob »

Another +1 for Homefront. The game was overhyped, with too much marketing and advertisements. The singleplayer campaign is way too short, finished it in 4 hours, and the combat feels too much like COD (running on a predatermined path, shooting down enemies that pops up). On a lighter note though, the multiplayer is quite good.

And Crysis 2 doesn't feel like the more 'open world game' the first one was. The levels aren't as big as the original's, and NO DX11?? The story is pretty good though as is the soundtrack.
Specs: CPU - Intel C2Q Q8400 stock clocks, Graphics card - Saphirre HD5770, Mobo - No idea (Intel OEM board), RAM - 2x2GB DDR2 800mhz, HDD's - 160GB Seagate - 1TB Seagate, 550w FSB powergroup psu, Case - Aerocool CyborgX
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

IMO bulletstorm was my favorite game for the past decade....sure the GFWL sucked as starbound said, but it was fun, looked good & had a sense of humor...its mindless fun at its best! but thats jus my opinion....

crysis 2 however was a mix match...you cant blame crytek for making the game 'console-friendly'...blame the 'so-called' gamers that downloaded the original instead of buying it...this is the future of pc gaming guys, no one makes exclusives anymore cuz ppl jus download it...but regardless of the game not being so demanding like the first...for dx9 tech it still looks fantastic & makes its easier for guys with lower systems to play it...

i do agree with the fact the guys who put cash into their pcs to be 'ready' for crysis 2 got sucka punched in the gut though....

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

hahahaha ya bro u right there... so many people i saw on the crysis 2 threads, were going on about hardware requirements, and i rate my old pc would of run it full graphics with no issues.... we need a metro sequel to stress our hardware again!!!

getting portal 2 soon so will post my opinions about it when i get it.... i have very high expectations for this game.... i just hope it lives up to the hype.... the first portal was so awesome jus too short!

nothing this year has really grabbed me to the point where i cant stop thinking about sitting infront of my pc and getting down to the bottom of finding out whats about to happen around the next corner.... i Cant wait for that game....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
prophet

Post by prophet »

Homefront for its lovely Singleplayer
My old e-mail no longer exists and I cant change my email adress to a free e-mail account
Pieter_carel_wentzel@hotmail.com
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Angry Birds
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Lol jamin. Isnt it an iphone game or is it on steam?

Well there are still tons that can go wrong. For instance DNF, skyrim, next cod game could suck so bad that you need a blind fold to play them. But more than half the year remains.
My Steam Screenshots

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:Isnt it an iphone game or is it on steam?
Dunno, never played it :P
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

jamin_za wrote:
StarBound wrote:Isnt it an iphone game or is it on steam?
Dunno, never played it :P
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I would add BFBC2 on my list.

It's was so crap it's the only game I play. I think they add images between the frames that brainwashes you and tells you to play more and more. It's got me!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Except BFBC2 is last years game. It needs to be a release from this year :P
My Steam Screenshots

Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

Need for speed shift 2 unleashed is ****.

i couldnt wait to get this game, but when i got it, heres the problems i had with it that makes it the biggest disapointment by far..

1.) installation took forever.
2.) the whole oversized GUI thing was irratating & makes the menus cluttered.
3.) graphics are uber ****....even editing the config file gives no improvment to visuals
4.) audio isnt as sharp & crisp as the original shift.

all in all, epic fail in my eyes.

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

Like I said had a feeling shift 2 would be lame.... Nfs have to jack themselves up too bad titles in 1 year.... Nfs hot pursuit 2 was crap aswell. The cars didn't feel like cars, and the fact that you could go into a corner at 300 and just slide around it was lame.... Also having the same cut scenes to each race was irratating....
What happen to the fun that nfs used to be? Underground1,2, most wanted and carbon were the best in my eyes....
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Crysis 2 is a let down for me. I rerally hate linear games so I'm forcing myself to play it!. Cod is becoming a bit monotonous with the same kinda theme. Assassins creed 3 was amazing imo. I love being able to explore the world etc. Bring on prototype 2!
Back to the subject,like the jelly said,nfs needs to make a change to their genre,iv wasted too much money on nfs and I don't even finish it because its painful! When they go back to carbon genre I'll support them, free-roam and driving to the races was good fun! Test drive unlimited 2 was crap imo,commentary was ridiculous!
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Just finished homefront in about 4 hours or so. I'm not disappointed because I already expected the worst game ever and that is what I got. Only thing that I kinda liked about it was the large variety of weapons.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Shawn911

Post by Shawn911 »

Siemens wrote:Just finished homefront in about 4 hours or so. I'm not disappointed because I already expected the worst game ever and that is what I got. Only thing that I kinda liked about it was the large variety of weapons.
have to agree.Crappy game expected more :|
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Fable 3, not coded correctly so the end result the game runs like carp on a system that beats its minium requirments. Have seen people with i7 getting bad performance. Worst thing is on the back of the box it says this:
Increased performance will be noticed on more powerful systems.
Not so. So far Lionhead has made no comment as to when the patch will be released to fix the extremely bad performance...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Anakha support for games has so to say died out. I wont hold my breath for a new patch. Developers just on rare occasion grants 1 patch after game release. Sad I know.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

If its not a console game don't expect anything. Its almost june. I havent seen the dx11 patch for crysis 2 yet and we are 2 months past talking nice.

Personally I want to throw any games with a GFWL tag as unplayable. But I cant do that because after bending over a few times it can work.

@Siemens, if your not disappointed in a game because you knew it was going to be ***** then it met expectations. I am still waiting for someone to say they expected it to be ***** but they had no idea how bad it really was. But the multiplayer was its only saving grace.
My Steam Screenshots

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

StarBound wrote:If its not a console game don't expect anything. Its almost june. I havent seen the dx11 patch for crysis 2 yet and we are 2 months past talking nice.

Personally I want to throw any games with a GFWL tag as unplayable. But I cant do that because after bending over a few times it can work.

@Siemens, if your not disappointed in a game because you knew it was going to be **** then it met expectations. I am still waiting for someone to say they expected it to be **** but they had no idea how bad it really was. But the multiplayer was its only saving grace.
i read somewhere that the dx11 patch was just rumours and that crytek might not even make one.... i hate console ports really i do... its just a big let down normally... if its not mediocre graphics, then its camera angles, and if its not that then its crappy controls.... also hate seeing the xbox controller buttons in game. sucks....(fifa11, justcause2, Assassins creed2 just to name a few)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

They said before the game was released DX11 would be patched in. It was after the game was released that they said it was just a rumour.
My Steam Screenshots

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

thats just dissapointing wont lie.... Devlopers need to catch a wake up.... crysis was on pc first....
Proud African

Post by Proud African »

Supreme Commander 2 = FAIL.

I played the original (back in 2000 or so if memory serves) then the re-released original and both were incredible.

But the sequel: bland story, too short campaign, horrible camera and just failed to grab me in any way, I was totally gutted and want my R500 back!
I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearding every authority which stood in their way.
Thomas Jefferson

"I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs."
— Sam Harris (Letter to a Christian Nation)
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

ouch! in my point of view theres been too many sequels this year and not enough new games... some of the sequels are just not living up to the orginal titles.... hard luck PA and welcome to the forums....