Buying a Mac (or PC) Laptop

Any hardware related topics go here.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Buying a Mac (or PC) Laptop

Post by GDI_Lord »

Hey

One of my co-workers is looking at buying an Apple computer. I am not well versed in Apple products, so I would appreciate your input.

Her requirements are:
  • Be able to run Adobe CS5 comfortably.
  • It must not die on large images, like, say, 100MB big or 12MP (4000px wide by 3000px high.)
  • Create images for print.
  • Handle the software needed to edit the images (ties in with point 1 but bears repeating.)
  • Colour accuracy.
  • Value for money.
Do you know if a glossy screen or matte screen would be better?
Any other ideas for other requirements that my colleague and I might be missing?

If the price is good enough, she will consider a Windows laptop.

Thanks
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Re: Buying a Mac (or PC) Laptop

Post by GDI_Lord »

My input from a Windows perspective:

Any sufficient i5 with at least four logical cores AND an CUDA enabled gfx card (for CS5) should be fine for handling the applications, but screens, well, perhaps an external screen would be better.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Budget?

A PC equivalent will be much cheaper, that's for sure. MacBook Pro's in SA are extremely overpriced, especially the i5 and i7 variety, so unless she specifically wants a Mac it will be more cost effective going for a PC laptop. She would probably want at least a 15.4" but preferably a 17", unless she'll be using an external monitor...

The specs you say are right though yes, i5 or higher, preferably 6GB of RAM or higher, dedicated graphics with at least 256MB RAM, 7200 RPM drive or SSD. When it comes to screen it's down to personal preference, but glossy is generally better for graphic design and colour accuracy, provided the ambient lighting doesn't cause any glare. I never have issues with my MBP's glossy screen though.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Apples are synonymous with graphic design. So a decent MacBook Pro should handle Photoshop easily. However, what Ryan says is right: Apple laptops are expensive and you can get a better Win machine for the same price.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

The Apple IPS screens will provide the best colour accuracy. A PC laptop would be cheaper.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Thanks guys. She doesn't have a definite budget right now, we're in the exploratory phase right now. I've told her to go to a local Incredible Connection and feel around on Photoshop on a Mac, and then ask/demand to do the same on a similarly priced Windows laptop. I've told her to try with both the trackpad and a mouse.

When buying a Mac, is CS5 normally bundled with?
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

Imho, Apple products are priced just right if you look at the components and *cough* compare apples with apples. The build quality is primarily what you pay for. I would go for the Mac. Macbook Pro's handle CS5 with a breeze. If you want to stay on the laptop side. And on a side note, the OS wont need to be re-installed every now and then...**Oh, and something you might not have known about Apple computers, they use secure memory allocation - so memory gets dynamically reserved for an application(not shared like on windows), and as soon as you exit the app, memory goes free. Making the overall experience fast and efficient.

**Apple magic mouse is awesome!
**incredible connection SUX!!! stay away - go to your nearest Apple store, and then test it. Only then go to normal IT store, same price, same specs, then test on that PC machine.

CS5 like any other software is not bundled. What you do get is the OS (32 & 64 bit already), and some built in apps, like Apple APP store, Safari, Mail, Quicktime, etc..

Any thing else?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I can echo what's been said about the Apple screens. My girlfriend's got a MBP and the screen on that thing is just incredible. It's certainly better than anything I've ever experienced, and I've had quite a few monitors.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I don't like Big Mac.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I can echo what's been said about the Apple screens. My girlfriend's got a MBP and the screen on that thing is just incredible. It's certainly better than anything I've ever experienced, and I've had quite a few monitors.
Yup, I love mine, and can't wait for my 27" Cinema Display! :)

For graphic design, Apple is definitely the way to go if you can afford the products. Another reason, besides those mentioned here already, is that most designers use Mac, and there are sometimes issues when opening a document or image that was saved on a Mac, on a PC. My girlfriend currently has that issue as she works on Mac at work and PC at home and sometimes has issues with Freehand and Adobe files, so she has to use my MBP at times, which is why I want to get an iMac or Mac Pro for home soon.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

You will need a macbook with like min 4GB RAM.

I am running a macbook core2 duo with 2GB RAM and any file more than 20 MB starts slowing down photoshop... then again i have like 10 other apps running at the same time.

but i think min 4GB should be fine. if you can get an i7 or i5 that would be big bonus.

Windows would be much cheaper.

i personally feels macs are way overpriced compared to pcs. and that you pay for the name brand rather than anything else.

would rather get a great sony viavo or alienware. :)
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hmmm. Girlfriend had a high end Vaio and the build quality and screen of my MBP is way better. I wouldn't have bought my i7 MBP for what the iStore asks, but I got it for R7K less than retail so couldn't pass it up, and have never looked back. Really the best laptop I've ever used.