All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Mclaren

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by Mclaren »

nope. not there
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Ryan's right. The files are in app data somewhere, I think they're in the roaming folder actually. I went hunting for them myself and found them there somewhere.

By the way, my mom finally got herself an iPad too. It was inevitable. The look in her eyes when she saw mine was a guarantee :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Apple says: "Fair is for tourists! GIMME GIMME GIMME!"
The Register wrote:Steve Jobs' App Store police have rejected the iOS version of Readability – an online service that allows you to read online stories stripped of ads, Flash, and other distractions – saying the app's developers provided no way for Apple to take its cut of subscription revenue.

The irony is that Apple uses Readability's open source code to enhance its own Safari browser. And Readability creator Rich Ziade isn't too happy about the turn of events...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, no matter how amazing some of Apple's hardware is, you can't deny that the company itself is scaly. This new in-app subscription news is causing a lot of noise too.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, I disagree with a lot of their policies. Not too thrilled with this in-app subscription stuff...

Awesome about your Mom dude, haha. The great thing about the iPad is that so many people who aren't necessarily tech-savvy find it intuitive and easy to use whereas they wouldn't really be able to use a more complicated tablet or laptop.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

A friend of mine got 2 Samsung Galaxy Tabs. 1 for him and 1 for his wife. He is ok-ish and she is just above novice level IT-wise. Neither of them have any issues with the Android platform. The only problem is that she is going crazy with the aps. :)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:Yup, I disagree with a lot of their policies. Not too thrilled with this in-app subscription stuff...

Awesome about your Mom dude, haha. The great thing about the iPad is that so many people who aren't necessarily tech-savvy find it intuitive and easy to use whereas they wouldn't really be able to use a more complicated tablet or laptop.
Yeah I know! And for her line of work, she doesn't need a full size notebook, and an iPad is just that much more convenient to take around, you know? She has a PC that she can use at home if she absolutely must have a full machine, but other than that, the iPad is perfect for her.

In fact, my iPad is pretty good for me, even, as a possible PC replacement. There's no Photoshop, which is a big problem for me, but other than that, I think I could get by using only my iPad. Ive actually had to since yesterday anyway, as my video card died yesterday morning, so since then, I've been using my iPad as my primary computer. I'm typing this very post on my iPad :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah I bet I could do about 90% of my daily work on an iPad. Can't wait to get one now...

Another thing Apple has over the competitors is the price. The other tablets are insanely priced! The Galaxy Tab was going for around R8K in SA, which is just crazy to me. The Motorola Xoom which looks fantastic is priced at $799, which is also a little steep...
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

That is the one thing Apple really has going for them - the price of the units. (That, and the application range.)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

will excel and word etc work on the ipad ?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

It works on my BlackBerry so I cannot see why it shouldn't
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Mclaren wrote:will excel and word etc work on the ipad ?
The iPad runs iWork, which can import MS Office documents.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Oooh so they have their own version - should have known :oops:
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

@Ryan:

Does Apple have an equivalent to Nokia Communication Center (the Nokia Phone PC interface program that lets you type and view SMSs on PC)?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Monty wrote:@Ryan:

Does Apple have an equivalent to Nokia Communication Center (the Nokia Phone PC interface program that lets you type and view SMSs on PC)?
Not Apple themselves, but there's a 3rd party app that allows you to do that called iPhone PC Suite.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Re:All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by Monty »

[QUOTE=ryanrich;1539668]

Not Apple themselves, but there's a 3rd party app that allows you to do that called iPhone PC Suite.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Is iPhone pc suite any good?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hmmm, so the new MacBook Pro's do in fact have Light Peak, called "Thunderbolt" in the Apple implementation of the technology. Sandy Bridge CPU's, new GPU's as well as 720p webcams are also in the new MBP's, so not too much really besides the new I/O port. I'll be happy with my 2010 model for some time still...
Thunderbolt is up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0 and twice as fast as USB 3.0. It’s a single cable that consolidates almost all existing ports, from FireWire to USB to miniDisplay to eSATA. This is one cable to rule them all.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yep, not that big a deal. If the new machines came with SSDs in the place of the optical drives, THAT would be a big deal, and worth the upgrade.

EDIT: Oh snap, I see that SSDs are optional. Hmmm, I bet the next MBP will have SSD by default.

btw, I bought myself an Apple Wireless Keyboard yesterday. I just couldn't resist. So now I'm running that little guy with my iPad. It's freaking awesome. Got one for my mom too.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, they're definitely moving towards SSD and getting rid of optical drives. I almost did that mod on mine where you stick an SSD in the optical drive bay, but I occasionally write discs so went with the Momentus XT instead.

Awesome dude, if we went back to this time last year I would've never believed you'd have an iPad, let alone accessories for it! :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:Yup, they're definitely moving towards SSD and getting rid of optical drives. I almost did that mod on mine where you stick an SSD in the optical drive bay, but I occasionally write discs so went with the Momentus XT instead.
Yeah. If I had a MBP, I'd have done that mod ages ago. Optical drives should die in a fire :P

ryanrich wrote:Awesome dude, if we went back to this time last year I would've never believed you'd have an iPad, let alone accessories for it! :lol:
Yeah man, you and me both :P Flipboard is what changed it all for me, hey. I wasn't interested in the iPad at all until I saw Flipboard. Even today, Flipboard is most certainly the biggest part of my iPad usage, and as I sit here, two months after I got my iPad, I'll still say that buying an iPad just for Flipboard would be worth it. I get a lot more use out of it now, though. Stuff like Read It Later and the amazing Twitter app are also great reasons to have an iPad. The Bible app is amazing too, as you can download pretty much all the different Bible translations for offline reading, and because of that, my iPad is my primary bible now too.

Love this thing.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

I got my iPhone at last, loving it so far!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Awesome! iPhone 4? Did you buy a new one or what?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ett, is your iPad wifi only, or 3G as well? Ryan?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Awesome! iPhone 4? Did you buy a new one or what?
iPhone4 - my parents had upgrades due, so I got them to get iPhones and pass them down :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Stuart wrote:Ett, is your iPad wifi only, or 3G as well? Ryan?
Wifi only. I don't have a need for the 3G version. On the odd occasion that I go somewhere with my iPad where there isn't a connection, I either do what I need to on my phone, or I tether my iPad to my phone and go for it that way.

Ryan doesn't have an iPad :)

Monty wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Awesome! iPhone 4? Did you buy a new one or what?
iPhone4 - my parents had upgrades due, so I got them to get iPhones and pass them down :P
Score! Hahahah!