Pdf Security Help Please

Viruses, hackers and crackers
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Pdf Security Help Please

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi Guys,

My company has asked me to secure the pdf documents.

Problem is that when we apply the pdf security using the windows pc with the adobe acrobat and then try to open it with various programs.

When we get to a Mac program called "Preview" it allows copying the text in the pdf file.

This is really bad for us as some of our users would use macs.

Are there any tips for securing the pdfs that you can give me?

This is really urgent. thought i would ask and then start Google and come back if i can't find anything so please don't say i must Google it because i am going to do that right now. :wink:

Thanks guys.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
lancelot

Re: Pdf Security Help Please

Post by lancelot »

Encrypt with Certificate?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Lance, if I understand correctly, they want the readable and open document displayed in such a way that an average user will not be able to copy the data in any way.

I am using the term "average user" because even the best text lockdowns can be overcome with minor effort these days by those desperate enough.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

That is so true Soj, I normally password encrypt allowing only high res printing. I then use the standard password and SAVE the PDF.

I must say though I have no idea about the MAC program.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Thanks Lance. i tried to use a certificate.

the only problem was that it then would not open with the mac program.

Which i was told was not an ideal solution. :P

Dam these mac users.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

Convert PDF to JPG...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

@thEnaileDonE i would do that. but my Co-workers won't accept that as an option. hence this thread. :)

I don't know how i will fool these people to believe that its working... they check everything...
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

thEnaileDonE wrote:Convert PDF to JPG...
Convert PDF to JPG and print the JPG to a new PDF?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Monty, that could work.
Still not OCR proof, but hay, this is close as they will get to it.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi guys. don't worry. they have now decided to use a macbook to add the security to the pdf. this prevents the Preview app from allowing copy and paste as it asks for the password. and it works with windows. still in my opinion the more tech savy people will still be able to hack it. :D
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me