Upgrade time, well almost...

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Re: Upgrade time, well almost...

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

:P

Didnt see the new setup.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
RiddickJhb

Post by RiddickJhb »

It's as such Starbound:
* Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Quad Core Processor
Asus P6X58D-E USB3.0 SATA 6GB/s X58 Motherboard
Corsair TR3X6G1600C7D Dominator 3 x 2Gb
After much thought and deliberation i decided on this mix. I hope i get an increase in performance over my current system, althought im confident i will i'm always weary that i might be p*ssing away alot of cash for little improvement.

I noticed my pc was over heating and saw my psu's fan wasn't working. Thus I'm now forced to replace that aswell. Sigh! Guess i'll have to get a 750w to give me more wattage incase i want to add more stuff.
"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Intel Core i7 2600
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
4x2G Corsair Dominators 2000 C8
Asus 580 GTX Direct CU ii
Coolermaster 750 GX Psu
Samsung T260
Windows 7 64 bit
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Lekker setup there Riddick! What size and resolution monitor are you using?
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
RiddickJhb

Post by RiddickJhb »

I have a Samsung T260. I currently play my games at 1920x1080. And it's handling it. But i can im sure the new system will laugh at it!

Intel Core i7 2600
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Coolermaster 750 GX Psu
Samsung T260
Windows 7 64 bit
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

A T260 is actually a 1920x1200 screen. I had one for the ps3 until I got an HDTV. I recommend a Coolermaster GX 750W psu.
My Steam Screenshots

-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
RiddickJhb

Post by RiddickJhb »

Im strongly incline to go for the following:
* Asus P6X58D-E USB3.0 SATA 6GB/s Motherboard
* Intel Core i7 950 CPU
* Corsair TR3X6G1600C7D Dominator 3x2G

Im almost 99% sure i want to go with this setup. The other 1% is the i5 760 setup i was initially considering. Still my question remains ( eventhough i sort of know the answer, but would like some confirmation to help ease my mind) is the new pc going to be significantly better than what i have and will my gaming improve. No not skill, but just the fact that my game will run flawlessly, faster etc etc.

Intel Core i7 2600
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Coolermaster 750 GX Psu
Samsung T260
Windows 7 64 bit
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Your games will never run flawlessly.

Ok lets look at it this way. The setup you have above has no bandwidth issues because its tripple channel. You can run USB3 and SATA6 at max speed without lowering your pci-e lanes which happens on a p55 board unless they use a seperate controller. Your i7 has 4 cores and has hyper threading making it as if the cpu has 8 cores.

The downside is soon we will see the new cpus and new motherboards but probably at a price premium. I dont see the old boards and cpus going down in price, just out of stock ect.

Not with an emphisis on money saving, Go for the system that you are 99% sure you want. Even if you dont see more than 20-30fps more in games when you start running compression apps, encoding and start heavy multi tasking you will be glad you have it.
My Steam Screenshots

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You should. The RAM and motherboard alone won't make that much of a difference (though the extra 2GB RAM would give you more freedom; 4GB is right on the limit of being enough IMO), but the CPU will give better performance core for core and then still better with the few games that can use more than 2 cores. You obviously won't notice a difference with games you could play at max with 30+ fps (which probably was most of them), but with games that were on the edge you should notice a difference. You'll enjoy greater freedom as far as multitasking is concerned as well, which is rather an important benefit IMO.
The downside is soon we will see the new cpus and new motherboards but probably at a price premium.
:shock: Very good point, though there really isn't much of a premium. RiddickJhb, IMO, the ONLY system you should consider right now is an i7 2600K with one of the new ASUS mobos. Those two together will cost you a mere R300 more than your current choice.

Look what you get from LandmarkPC for instance:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset ATX - R2584

Intel 1155 Sandy Bridge i7-2600K Quad Core 3.4GHz CPU Only - R3076

So for a premium of a mere R300, you get the top of the line (at the moment) Sandy Bridge CPU that beats even the i7 980X in most cases and a great motherboard that is superior to the one you've chosen. No contest! :)

Here's the AnandTech review: LINK.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
RiddickJhb

Post by RiddickJhb »

I really appreciate all the opinion and contributions you fellas made. Im immensely grateful for it.

But after reading new info and getting differing opinions im now even more confused than before. My one steam mate said i should wait till June/July because there's apparently a lot of goodies coming out. Personally i feel i'll never get ahead of the technology so im happy with buying something thats quite up to date but reasonable in price and decent in performance.

The link Kalster posted looks very intruiging. Must say what I've read on it thus far seems very impressive. Plus the technology is very recent so i'll be at the forefront for a few moments.

Im not sure at all which way to go. Going for a i5 760 is a cheaper route but i feel thats exactly what im going to get, something cheaper whilst for a few more rands i can get something uber. So basically im back at square one :(

Intel Core i7 2600
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Coolermaster 750 GX Psu
Samsung T260
Windows 7 64 bit
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

I agree with Prometheus you dont an emergency upgrade lol.

I had a p4 cpu with a HD5770 I had to upgrade badly. So when I got my maximus gene 3 and i5 760 i ended up clocking out all my games sure I am still with socket 1156 sure I only got 4 cores sure but it was a big upgrade from 1 to 4 cores so I got a massive performance boost.

Id also say hit a a monster card because the hd 4870 came out long ago but it still runs good today :)