Check out this virus. Man, I'm impressed!

Any software related topics go in here.
souljazk

Re: Check out this virus. Man, I'm impressed!

Post by souljazk »

Id turn off sys restore.. viruses like to hide there and antiviruses (norton is 1 example) has an exclusion list with, you guessed it... system restore...

1)Disable your AV.

2) Then reboot into safemode w/networking and download combofix from bleeping computer ( I never use any other site for that program) , I also wouldnt use IE to do this..

3)Run it with admin rights and follow steps.. If it still picks up your Av, then reboot to normal mode Win and uninstall it, then reboot abck to smwn..

Id then reboot to Win and install Avast - please check its config and adjust as you see fit.. then update its defs and do a boot scan... After that Id run malewarebytes.. You should be OK post this op...
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Xiphan wrote:
chowzen wrote:erm...get a MAC
Right... That's why the following exists:

Because Macs are the perfect example of an OS that doesn't fall victim to viruses. :roll:
The fact that an anti virus app exists for the Mac doesn't mean it's necessary. 99.9% of Mac users are "unprotected" and have never had a virus.
Because nobody can be bothered to write a virus for a mac ;)

Macs are not as secure as you make them out to be. It's possible to take complete control of a mac machine from a remote computer. Apple even had some competition where hackers could win the same macbook (or whatever it's called) they broke into. (Won't that be bad publicity, Steve old chap?)

I also heard about a huge security hole about 2 years ago where you could take control of a mac through the wifi network (and quite easily too if I remember correctly).

Just because mac users aren't targeted by viruses (how depressing to not even get negative attention), doesn't make them safe.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Bladerunner wrote:Because nobody can be bothered to write a virus for a mac ;)
Correct.

Bladerunner wrote:Macs are not as secure as you make them out to be.
I didn't even suggest that Macs are secure ;)

Bladerunner wrote:It's possible to take complete control of a mac machine from a remote computer.
I'm sure that's the case. It still doesn't change the fact that you're more likely to fall off a sky scraper on the moon than have someone access your machine like that.

Bladerunner wrote:Just because mac users aren't targeted by viruses (how depressing to not even get negative attention), doesn't make them safe.
Again, I didn't say they're safe.

I didn't say that Mac Computers are safe. I didn't say that anywhere ;)

I KNOW that Macs are unsecure. That doesn't change the fact that nobody cares. Nobody gives a crap about writing a virus for a Mac, because there are SO few Mac users (relative to the number of Windows users).

In the end, an anti virus app for the Mac is pointless at the moment. You're not going to get a virus.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

The only problem with that kind of attitude is that someday, some 40 year old guy living in his mom's basement is going to create a super virus that targets mac users, and you (and Steve) will be completely unprepared for it. ;)
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Perhaps, but how that guy will get his "super virus" across the internet to Mac users is another mission for him. One day, some script kiddie will make a virus that'll hit a few thousand Mac users, and at THAT point, it'll become huge news over the net, at which point Apple users may start using an AV. Until then, though, nobody on a Mac is worried, and they need not be :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.