XP Boot up issues

Any software related topics go in here.
Riddick

XP Boot up issues

Post by Riddick »

Hey guys, i have an issue. My xp went hanging (if that's what you call it) and i had to restart everything by pressing the restart button on the pc.

Now everytime i switch on my pc it doesn't automatically log into windows. Rather it stops booting up after the motherbord screen appeared. Only thing that shows on my screen is a black screen with this flickering line in the top left corner. I then have to reboot again and press F8 to tell it to boot from my hard drive but this only gets me into windows for that session, but doesn't solve the issue because next time i have to do the same thing again. I've done all the virus and malware scans and haven't gotten anything.

Is there i way i can fix this without installing a fresh copy of xp again?
Intel C2D E8400 3.0 GHz
Asus P5E-S
4G OCZ Platinum DDR 2 800
XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition

"Knowledge is power, guard it well."
rustypup

Re: XP Boot up issues

Post by rustypup »

you could:
1) leave your install disc outside for a week, making for a less-than-fresh install or...
2) do a repair install.... it's one of those recovery options....

have you checked the events logs?

made any changes lately?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Hey rustypup,

I haven't made any changes recently.

I tried that recovery thing but it became quite complex. It was later in some sort of DOS interface and when that happened i was lost. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to theses thing so please bare with me.
Intel C2D E8400 3.0 GHz
Asus P5E-S
4G OCZ Platinum DDR 2 800
XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition

"Knowledge is power, guard it well."
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

insert xp disk, restart, when it comes up with the first screen choose install, not recovery, then it should detect you windows installation. then select it from the list and choose repair
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Thanx for your reply Vampyre

I have tried that and it didnt work. It also took a while. I was affraid that it was installing another copy of xp but afterwards everything seemed ok. Was this normal that it took so long?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

repair install simply replaces the current os, without impacting the hive or the registry, (ie, all your installed apps/data remain intact). you should not be presented with a terminal. :|

a) have you tried to boot from last known working instance?

b) if you can still access your system:
=============================
right click "My Computer" and select "Manage" from the context menu. This will launch the managment tool.

under "System Tools", browse the "Event Viewer" branch under "System" and "Application" for obvious errors, (flagged as red or yellow events).

Report any to do with stop codes, drivers or system devices.

c) recovery process is:
=================
well covered here..
Fanatic-X

Post by Fanatic-X »

Riddick wrote: Now everytime i switch on my pc it doesn't automatically log into windows. Rather it stops booting up after the motherbord screen appeared. Only thing that shows on my screen is a black screen with this flickering line in the top left corner. I then have to reboot again and press F8 to tell it to boot from my hard drive but this only gets me into windows for that session, but doesn't solve the issue because next time i have to do the same thing again. I've done all the virus and malware scans and haven't gotten anything.
To me it sounds likeyour HDD is faulty... try a chkdsk and see if it fixes anything. In case you don't know how:

-Insert your XP disc
-Once it gives you 3 options, (install=ENTER, Recovery console=R, or Exit=F3), press R
-choose the windows dir as specified and put in your password if you have any
-Type chkdsk /R
-Wait (probably 1 hour minimum, depending on the size of the HDD and how much data is on it)
-Then try booting up again.

Hope it helps :D
My Rig:
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom X3 8450 2.1GHz
MSI K9A2 Platinum V2 (needs a BIOS update to install a Phenom II)
MSI Radeon HD4650 512MB GDDR2
2x A-Data Vitesta 2GB 1066+ DDR2 RAM
2x 320GB Seagate HDD
Raidmax Smilidon Gaming case
Samsung T220 Syncmaster 22"Wide LCD Screen
Pic of my beauty
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Boot up with last known configuration.or boot up in safe mode and troubleshoot from there.
Surely in your bios your hdd is still set as first boot device? I don't see how it could change by itself but check anyway
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
madmind
Location: Take the red pill, and i'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...

Post by madmind »

Hey Riddick.

Have you tried "System Restore" Via "Safe Mode"? Maybe a recent system update is causing your problem...
What exactly were you doing when is hung the first time?
Was your HDD activity light flashing when you restarted it?

madmind

Gigabyte G31 S3 (Intel 945)|Intel C2D E8600 3.3Ghz| 3Gb DDR2800 |Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1Gb | 2.5TB Storage | RaidMax Quantum | GPowerII CPU Cooler | Thermaltake PurePower 600W PSU |
LGW2343 23" HD 1080p | Logitech EX100 Cordless Desktop | Logitech Momo Wheel | Divoom Revo5 2.1 | WinfastTV200XP MCE |
Windows 7 Ultimate | Adobe CS4

click here for my photography blog
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:/... is this thread like some sort of experimental necro bait? :lol:

@madmind: ignoring the prior necros, this thread died in April of 2009... if he hasn't resolved this by now, it's only because he was beaten to death and eaten by pixies...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Um, ja, what 8.ta said. Unless I receive a desperate plea from Riddick urging me to unlock this thread because he still can't boot up properly, let's consider the problem resolved and the thread therefore locked.