StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Wireless network safe?

Post by StarBound »

I have a password and one of the WES/WPA or whatever protections are on it setup. How do I know my wireless network is safe?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
rustypup

Re: Wireless network safe?

Post by rustypup »

disable SSID broadcasts
change the AP's management password
if possible, target specific MACs for access...

<edit>home network or AD?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Don't use WEP! WPA2 with AES encryption and a long mixed alphanumeric password. As rusty says, if you can do MAC filtering then block all devices except your specified MAC's as well. That pretty much secures it...
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote:Don't use WEP! WPA2 with AES encryption and a long mixed alphanumeric password. As rusty says, if you can do MAC filtering then block all devices except your specified MAC's as well. That pretty much secures it...
Yep. Turn off hide password, Button Mash till it won't accept anymore characters, Copy, paste into word or notepad file, save file somewhere secure, and save password on the router. :)

Or you could do something constant like Pi to 63 decimal places with whatever precision (You'll need a generator for this). But it won't be as secure as an alphanumeric button mash because of the range of characters.

You can normally set the strength of reception as well to limit the broadcast reach. I can pickup Wifi in Rosebank (thats about 100 metres from me) because someone got carried away with an antenna or signal strength. :lol: