Aliens vs Predator

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Aliens vs Predator

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Haven't seen a thread regarding the new AVP game coming out.

Is anyone actually getting this game?

I'm looking forward to it especially online, certainly brings back memories from playing AVP2 online minus the 56k situation.
Haven't tried the Demo yet which I believe was absolutely rubbish but hopefully this doesn't effect the main product of the game.

I haven't pre-ordered my copy yet as there is something I would like to know. Is the Hunter's Edition coming to PC at all or is it only xbox and PS exclusive?
I have googled it but doesn't really give me the information I want regarding it.

Who else is getting this game?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Aliens vs Predator

Post by Anakha56 »

PC owners are getting normal edition :cry:

I am getting it but the little boy in me keeps whimpering when I think of how many times I left skidmarks when i got jumped by a facehugger. :(

From what I have read this game looks to be great, just hope they dont kill the multiplayer aspect like Infinity Bored did with MW2...

*edit*

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/news/Aliens- ... PS3/15469/
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Hey boss, long time no see :P

That is a pity though, I really want some of those items they offer in the HE.

Nah! the facehuggers weren't the problem for me, it was running down a dark corridor and your motion detector stars going crazy :P

If you watch some trailers regarding the multiplayer, there are some modes that look interesting such as the infestation mode <- can't wait to try that online.

:Edit: Ok, I just saw that site you gave there, I will wait maybe 5 or 4 days before release just to make sure.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

BTGames kinda avoided the question when I emailed asking them if they are getting the Hunter Edition. From what I can read yes there is a Hunter edition for PC but we are only getting the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions... :?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I'd really like to see comparissons between the ps3, pc and xbox. The other thing going strong is developers not releasing any system requirements of a game anymore.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Anakha56 wrote:BTGames kinda avoided the question when I emailed asking them if they are getting the Hunter Edition. From what I can read yes there is a Hunter edition for PC but we are only getting the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions... :?
I e-mailed them quite sometime ago aswell regarding the HE, all I got was "We are not too sure at this stage but I doubt it that BT games will receive it"

So I'm not too sure.

StarBound I think the only Comparisson between the 3 platforms is that PC will have the DX11 version of the game.

I'm not too sure if this is what you wanted to know but I'll post it here anyways.
Minimum Requirements
Windows 7/ XP/Vista
1 GB System RAM (XP)/ 2 GB System RAM (Vista)
3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4/Athlon 64 3000+ or equivalent processor
DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 128 MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better, ATI X1600 or better)

Recommended Requirements
Windows 7/ XP/Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 or equivalent processor
2 GB System RAM
DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI HD2900 PRO or better)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

BTGames wrote:Game Specifications :
TBA
My Steam Screenshots

NealeDeadlyAlien

Thats BT Games for you...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Nah most online retailers. The other problem is that I can never find requirements on the official site and even so they tend to leave out the important stuff like steam or online activations.
My Steam Screenshots

NealeDeadlyAlien

StarBound wrote:Nah most online retailers. The other problem is that I can never find requirements on the official site and even so they tend to leave out the important stuff like steam or online activations.
Agreed.

There are rumours floating about that AVP will possibly require Steamworks for activation and online play which I haven't got a problem with. The only problem I will deffinately have is if you gonna have to download half the game via steam which I hope will not happen but we shall see.
NealeDeadlyAlien

There are some new multiplayer trailers available at gametrailers which look really interesting.
Online is gonna be great.

The only gripe I have *speculation from watching the trailers* is the instant kill situation. Yeah it looks cool but it seems to me you can perform that anytime you want, all I see is people punching other players and then all of a sudden you can use the instant kill which to be honest can spoil the multiplayer side.
Everyone is gonna be doing instant kills to each other and not putting up a good fight, kinda pointless. Hopefully I am wrong about this.

Other than that, it looks really good.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Just an early post.

Managed to finish reading through 36 pages of posts on Eurogamer regarding the demo.

Now it seems half the people don't like this game and half the people do. This is what I have gathered so far:

Deathmatch is horrible
No crouch
Run and gun gamplay style *I don't really find this to be a problem especially in DM*
Problems with servers *finding game and connecting to them* however it is only a demo.
Outdated graphics but the demo is only DX9 apparently so nobody has fully seen the DX10 and 11 version yet.
Really cheap console to PC port
No Co-op
Species are unbalanced
Controls are difficult to learn

That pretty much what people are griping about.

I really think Rebellion should of released a SP Demo first instead of a MP just so that players can learn the controls and grasp the concept of the game.
Still I will give it ago and hopefully Rebellion doesn't make a balls up with this.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Xiphan, let us know what it's like. Looked at the cover, but couldn't decide if it looked good or not.
Well I'm loving it. But bare in mind my opinion may be biased for the following reasons: 1) I'm a huge AvP fan. 2) This is the first game I've bought that's making use of the DX11 capabilities of my 5870 so all the prettyness of the game has me drooling at my screen. :oops:

That said let me tell you what I like:

1) It's AvP. In the beginning they've captured that Aliens essence perfectly where you wake up in this colony slightly disoriented and you just know everything has gone to $h1t as you slowly start to explore. With the classic beep of the motion tracker making your heart race.

2) The game at max settings truly is amazing for an AvP game. I'm in awe of the graphics and whilst I know graphics isn't that important it's still nice to see.

3) You see limbs! Most games when you press a button you just see the switch moving as if a ghost had pressed it. In AvP if you have to pull a switch you have to hold down E and you actually see the marines hand grab hold of the switch and pull it down. The same is true for faulty doors, you hold down E and the marine grabs the edges and splits it apart. One of the first times you do this there is a nice surprise waiting for you on the other side. :P The same is true for various other mechanics like using computers and power generators.
The Alien in this regard is also cool because if you turn around really quickly you can see the Alien's tale waving about, and as you move around it's hands actually conform to the surfaces it touches.

4) I think I like the health system, though I'm not sure. The traditional AvP games all used fixed health and armour. In the new AvP you just have one health bar divided into 3 sections, if you lose a bit of health from one section it it slowly recovers if you don't take any further damage. To recover health you now collect items called "stims", you pop a stim and you get instant full HP again. But don't think the marine has a lot of health, because as mentioned below, if you shoot the alien in the head and it explodes the resulting acid spray kills you instantly.

5) The gore. Playing as the predator or alien almost makes my stomach turn when you can rip a human's head from their body and you get to see it in full detail. The Alien now has these things called finishing moves, for civilians you press E when close by and you see a little animation of the Alien "harvesting" the human by holding him down so that a facehugger can latch onto his face. For marines there are a few different ones, one of which is a real bad one that involves the aliens tale going up where the sun don't shine and coming out the dude's mouth. :P

6) This one is somewhere in between, with the first AvP you just had aliens that mindlessly ran at you. In this game it feels like the devs wanted to give the aliens a different feel. It almost feels like the Aliens stalk you instead of just running at you the whole time (which they still do) but in parts of the games where it was overly dark the aliens clung to it and would lash out at you then run back into the darkness, which became annoying when there was more than one and they would eventually overwhelm you as you keep trying to turn around to face them off.

The few quirks I have with the game are:

1) Whilst I may have died, a lot, it still felt too easy. The mechanics of the game has been changed a lot since you can now melee an alien if they get too close and grab you. You can now bash them with your pulse rifle to get them off you. However, do note the shotgun is your friend just don't go for headshots when the aliens are too close. :P Another example of the game being too easy (I played on Normal) is that I finished the whole marine campaign without getting my face humped by a face hugger not once. Why? Because the marines reflexes are so fast and due to his super human strength he can catch them as they are within inches of his face and throw them away, but each time it happens you lose health.

2) The game feels oddly like Doom 3. The surface of the planet looks the same, the scaryness of the game is about the same - you just know something is gonna pop out at you at any minute - and now there are audio logs scattered around for you to collect as well.

That's about all I can think of now, I'm so glad I got it when it was on special as I am really enjoying it. I played it until the sun came up the one morning and the way the Marine campaign ended it looks like there might be a sequel. :D

Just to confirm the game does require Steam as it is a Steamworks game.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Mmm... that post has got me thinking of buying this game...
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Do it, do it! Then we can get some MP going. ;)
NealeDeadlyAlien

I bought it, semi-liked it and decided to jump onto multiplayer, gave up after rank 16.

For some reason to me it lost it's appeal, playing the same map over again eventually got to me but other than that the gameplay is still pretty good and I simply don't understand how people disregard and flame the control system of the alien *I understand if you're on console* The alien is the only creature I can play with, the Predator is complicated to me and the Marine lacks abit of fire power, although it is rather fun playing as a marine in dark corridors. :D

Did anyone else have this problem, where AVP chews a huge amount of power and resources. Both my cores and Ram hit 100% therefore lagging heavily in certain SP maps *I never had a problem in MP*, I know my PC definitely can handle this game, but it seems a few other players are having the exact same problem.

Edit: I will agree with Xiphan that the graphics is rather nice indeed, however as I have mentioned it before, I always like FPS games where I can see my feet and i'm not just a floating camera, So seeing abit of my alien body whenever I went backwards or did a U-turn, was major + for me.

I only stopped playing because I went back to AION but maybe I will have a game tonight :)
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I'm sure there will be a patch out before long...