Multi OS problem

Any software related topics go in here.
doom5003

Multi OS problem

Post by doom5003 »

I have a problem. I am currently running 2 x OS. Vista and XP in duel boot, 1 one a 80 gig and the other on a 250 gig. But my XP is totally f@#ked. And I have Win 7 RC and was wondering how do I go about installing it. That isn’t the real problem, the real problem is, I have 2x 250gigs and 1 80gig. The 80 has about 7 gig free, 1 250gig has about 21gig free and the other 250gig has about 10gig free, and I was wondering could a partition the free 20gig for Win 7. Meaning partition the 20gig, uninstall vista and xp and the boot from win 7 and install it on the 20gig partition. The reason I would take the long route, if it would work, is because I don’t have a 500gig to backup everything and using dvd’s would be a waist. And I don’t want duel boot anymore and I don’t want to upgrade.
ADV4NCED

Re: Multi OS problem

Post by ADV4NCED »

Is XP on the 80gb or the 250gb?
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
doom5003

Post by doom5003 »

On the 80. Will uninstalling or deleting XP remove my duel boot? or will i get blue screen since i installed xp before vista. I would rather want to delete xp since i dont know what will happen when i boot into it, the last time there was alot of driver problems ect.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Will uninstalling or deleting XP remove my duel boot?
Erm yaaaaaa.

Boot up in Vista-back up your XP to blank DVDs ( 80/4.7= 17 so get a pack of 25) and format.

You are trying too hard to achieve something with little room for error or space.

If you do it wrong, so long data.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
marduke

Post by marduke »

I've done something similar when I installed Win7 on my laptop, so it is possible. You just need to get a good partitioning tool to create a new partition of the free 20Gig. Using same partitioning tool you'll need to move the 20Gig partition to the start of the drive else you'll have MBR problems ad infinitum. The partitioning tool should be able to do this without losing any data, it takes a very long time though (well it did on my laptop anyway). Boot from the Win7 DVD & choose the 20Gig partition to install on & bob's your mother's brother :)
doom5003

Post by doom5003 »

Wont formating XP give me a MBR problem since i installed it before Vista?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

I would say since ur XP is screwed in anycase, boot into vista....shift delete as much as you can from that 80gb HDD (all windows files - this would be XP files, temp folder, page file, etc.)

Make as much space as you can on there, then from there you can decide which HDD you're gonna use to install on to.

If I were you I'd move some data around, try get everything you can from the 80gb on to the other drives then format it and carry on from there.

Of course you could also make that extra space on the 80gb (by manually shift deleting windows files) then move some data from the 250gb to the 80gb, and use that space to install another OS.

Theres many things you can do....just think bout it...
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

doom5003 wrote:Wont formating XP give me a MBR problem since i installed it before Vista?
Nope...
doom5003

Post by doom5003 »

Thanx!! This weekend its me, my pc and Win 7
BTW is Win 7 an improvement on Vista?
Like more stable, improved gaming ect.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ In my experience, yes. Your mileage may however vary.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.