Budget Upgrade

Any hardware related topics go here.
Frozenfireside

Re: Budget Upgrade

Post by Frozenfireside »

ZeroS wrote:
Frozenfireside wrote:Put in the old CPU, update the BIOS and then put in the new CPU.
I did that. Tried it with all the available BIOS revisions.
When I put in the new CPU nothing comes up on the screen. The PC switches on and the CPU fan spins but nothing else.

@Urban, I think you're right. The e5200 is a 45nm chip and it seems that dated motherboards do not have stable support for it as yet.
Looks like I'll have to upgrade, so, I'm thinking of going for the Foxconn G31MXP

Thoughts?
Sorry man. Seems so. Didn't realise u had tried that.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Prime

Post by Prime »

ZeroS wrote:What!? Where!?
there are at least 2 models of g31 gigabyte board on sybaritic. But do yourself a favour and also plug their model numbers into google and see what reviews come up. I'd do it but i'm on my cell.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Googled the G31M-ES2C and it seems like a quality board. Just one thing that I don't quite understand:
...as well on the Ethernet port, since other value motherboards have a Gigabit Ethernet port and G31M-ES2C has just a 10/100 Ethernet port...
This won't drastically affect my broadband connection?

Once that's ironed out, I think I'm going to purchase this board.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Just a quick update.

I bought the above mentioned board, and, it works as well as I had expected it to. Excellent!

Thanks to all of you, especially Prime and Urban, for the much appreciated help!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

This won't drastically affect my broadband connection?
The fastest ADSL is 4megs. Most routers are 100megs. Even 10megs network would be more then enough.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(