Windows 7 RC goes live. Your feedback!

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
SykomantiS

Re: Windows 7 RC goes live. Your feedback!

Post by SykomantiS »

They should name it Win7

Because it's Win :P
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

anyone want to get me a copy? i will pay for posting? :)
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Will the RTM also be available to the public for download?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Screeper wrote:Will the RTM also be available to the public for download?
Not by Microsoft I don't think, as an official download, but it will leak on torrent sites. Downloading it that way would of course be wrong, oh so wrong...
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

win 7, no going back, the RC is great, no problems yet other than getting my head round the networking side of it.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Again. pls PM me or post here if you willing to send me a copy. i willing to pay for the posting... and mayb some extra even. please....
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Just installed the RC today (x64).

The interface is much more cleaner and waaaaay more intuitive and faster than expected.

It's a huge improvement, and the reworked taskbar is AMAZING. And themes rock too.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Pricing: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/8553.html
Microsoft also said it was offering users in the United States and several other countries the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a more than 50 percent discount, $50 for the Home Premium version and $100 for the Professional one.
Sounds like a deal, hope they do it here.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

I've discovered another bug in RC1. When I select multiple items in recycle bin, right click -> properties doesn't work. Altough when a single item is selected properties does show. Also, When multiple items are selected the total size doesn't show in the status bar. So I have no idea how big the recycle bin is. :roll:

I hope MS do release the RTM to public afterall. The RTM build 7260 is already leaked on torrent sites.
an00bis

Post by an00bis »

lol, so aside from that little glitch everyone else is fine with windows 7 ? I'm contemplating putting it on my home PC probably gonna do it at work too
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Found a real annoyance with the RC - say you pin an application to the taskbar, and now the link to that application dies for whatever reason (in my case, it was hard drive failure). I don't know if it's just me, or an issue with the RC, but I can't get that dead link off my taskbar...

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. For some reason, you can't right-click on it and click "remove", like you can with a working item. You have to click on it as if to execute it, and then Windows pops up a "link dead, do you want to remove?" dialog box.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Katie, that does actually sound like a bug to me. I can't imagine that that is how MS intends for it to work.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I'm contemplating putting it on my home PC probably gonna do it at work too
I am running it at home on 2 PCs and at work on one. I really like it, I gave vista a try but took it off after i had so much hassles with it, im basically going from XP straight to win 7.
Microsoft also said it was offering users in the United States and several other countries the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a more than 50 percent discount, $50 for the Home Premium version and $100 for the Professional one.
Sounds like a deal, hope they do it here.
I hope so too. but didn't they say they were dropping the prices of retail software in some countries, that never happened here.....so although i hope they will give us a discount, somehow i don't think it will filter down to the end user, unless you download direct and not go through a reseller.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

TheModDoctor wrote:The RTM build 7260 is already leaked on torrent sites.
That build isn't RTM, it's still RC2.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

the pre order is for Upgrade versions of premium and pro only, not for the full retail versions.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Confirmed: Windows 7 set to RTM on July 13th
Earlier today the guys over at GeekSmack.net "confirmed" that Windows 7 was set to RTM (release to manufacturing) on July 13, which also coincides with Wzor's unconfirmed rumor last month. A few minutes ago sources close to the company, who wish to remain anonymous, have confirmed to Neowin that Windows 7 is indeed set to RTM on July 13.

After a year of furious beta testing and continuous leaks every other week, Microsoft is finally ready to give Windows 7 the green light to hit the market. Currently the Windows 7 team is working on polishing off the RTM build so that no show-stopper bugs are present in Windows 7. The date, July 13, also coincides with the kickoff of the Worldwide Partner Conference that is taking place in New Orleans.

Note: Don't confuse RTM and GA(General Availability), as these are two totally different phases. RTM in a nutshell is typically the final build that we will see when Windows 7 hits GA later this year (Unless, of course, there's a show-stopper bug found), but is released to manufacturers so they can work out any bugs the software may encounter with hardware devices. General availability is scheduled to launch on October 22, which will give the tech savvy world time to save up money.

So with that said TechNet, MSDN, and a few other partner connections will also be getting the RTM build on July 13. So let the countdown begin!
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I have tried to Pre Order a copy of Win 7, seems the only way for us in SA is to use a download option as even Amazon cannot send the product to SA.

I would so much prefer to have an original disc of the Pre Order. Has anybody managed to get a delivery to SA ? if so, which company did you use to order through ?
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

Problem

What is the chances that someone here has got WMDC to work on windows 7?????
Thanks to Stuart
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I tried to download it now, but because i am not running vista the validation tool will not allow me.
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

I have downloaded the validation but still nothing happens after that.... will install vista again :(
Thanks to Stuart
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

MyBB wrote:Microsoft SA says Windows 7 pricing will be similar to Windows Vista, and in some cases slightly cheaper

Microsoft’s Windows 7 is set to be available in local retail stores on 22 October this year. Three versions of Microsoft’s latest operating system will be available: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional.

According to Colin Erasmus, Windows Client Executive at Microsoft South Africa, local pricing will depend on a variety of factors, including the exchange rate at the time and local market conditions.

“We can’t tell you exactly what the price of Windows 7 will be until it lands in stores on 22 October this year. The final pricing will be determined by a host of factors including local market conditions, partner margins, taxation and exchange rate, among others. It’s also important to remember that we offer a fixed price to our distributors here in South Africa - they then determine the final retail and market price point,” said Erasmus.

Windows 7 pricing should however be in line with Windows Vista pricing, and potentially even slightly cheaper. “Right now, we expect the prices of Windows 7 retail packaged product to be similar equal to Windows Vista, and in some cases even slightly cheaper,” said Erasmus.

“That said, while Windows 7 pricing is comparable to current Windows Vista pricing, its new features offer richer scenarios and more possibilities, meaning more value for the consumer. We also expect that the premium offering --- Windows 7 Ultimate --- will be at the top of the price range, followed by Windows 7 Professional and then Windows 7 Home Premium,” Erasmus concluded.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

in other words, we still gonna be ripped off
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Just got my first BSOD in Windows 7. First BSOD in about 2 months. Boy, am I impressed! :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

DAE_JA_VOO, care to elaborate?