Forum changes coming in the next upgrade

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Forum changes coming in the next upgrade

Post by Ron2K »

Just to let you guys know, phpBB 3.0.6 (expected in around two or three months) will have a few changes coming. You can read the detailed blog post over here - I'm just going to point out the stuff that's going to affect you.

ATOM Feeds

This is something that I've added on that's now become a core feature (and about time too). The feed format may differ slightly from what's already there, and the feed will move to feed.php - but other than that, probably not very different to what those of you who use the feed are already used to. :wink:

What's new is that it will support a "news" feed - exact details of how it will work are unknown, but I'm expecting that to make this work, I'll be creating a separate forum area (which WILL be read-only for normal users), and moving all important announcements over there. Of course, this is just my usual wild speculation.

Replying to private messages

This change deals with replying to private messages with multiple recipients. Firsly, the forum would only let you reply to the original sender, then it was changed that it would reply to all. Now, finally, you'll be able to choose when replying which of the two above you'll want to do.

Pagination for smilies and icons

What was said in the blog pretty much says it all.
We will introduce pagination to the smilies and icons page. We may also add a hard limit to the number of smilies, because too much smilies can consume a lot of resources and makes the board unusable.
Quick Reply

Much like ATOM feeds above, this is something that I added on that will now be a core feature.

Just don't get your hopes up if you're expecting something fancy - here's what was said:
Option-wise the quick reply implementation will be a bare-bone text area with no buttons, no options, no smilies. For this the posting page is there - a quick reply feature should be used by people who know how to use BBCode and how to properly format their posts.
I guess that I'm about to be flamed by the hordes of spammers now, but such is life - and yes, I do agree with that reasoning. (Also, the fewer options there are, the happier our mobile phone users (*cough* Prime) will be.)

Newly registered users

The feature where a users first few posts have to be approved by a moderator is going to be expanded on - it looks like I'll be able to tie showing/hiding the classifieds section to members with a minimum post count into that.

Also, there'll be changes made to the CAPTCHA system on registration - basically will be far more customisable from my perspective.

Other stuff

The rest of the changes don't really affect end users too much, but are important for me. :wink: You can read the blog post linked above if you really want to know what they are.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Prime

Re: Forum changes coming in the next upgrade

Post by Prime »

:smack: I don't use the short cuts in QR when i'm on my phone. I type in the bbcode :tongue:

What affects my mobile phone experience is when i can't edit quoted text. this is now fixed. :?