Mod like a pro...

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
GrimAndy

Mod like a pro...

Post by GrimAndy »

Hello... a lot of you might not know or will not know me rather but my name is Colin AKA Grimandy... i might seem like a bit of an bottom but this is not the case... all it is is honesty... i've recently gotten into modding as im sure many of you have or not... anyway i am pretty novice at this art but have researched enough to know whats what... the reason for me posting this is plain and simple... i see too many south africans and people all over the world trying to mod but not doing it with their heads...

I have gone through forum after forum after webpage blah blah... and there are some amazing mods happening all over the world and here...

this forum is where i found most of the SA modders... some amazing! and some half assing it... i dont want this to sound like a rant but i honestly feel that if you're planning a mod. be it big or small... plan it properly and make sure you learn as much as you can before you touch the subject... the mod im doing at the moment is my first and i worked for months before i even decided on which case ill be using...

Simple things to do before modding are... look at other mods... mods that are recognised.

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com is a very good place to start as far as im concerned...

also search forums like a demon! just going through the first page of a modding forum isnt going to cut it... you need to sift through most of everything and find the gems... as they say... a rose amoungst the thorns. this is what you need to find...

out of those gems... you need to then find something out of those that influences you to do your mod... could be a part from each but there is always one that will be your main focus... your muse if you will... (not the band :) )

next find suppliers!

this is a big part of your mod! the places you buy parts and stuffs from play a big part in quality and success of your mod... we in SA are unfortunate that the scene here is rather small so we have not online shops for mods only, so next best thing is you local hardware store and electronic store... these will have most of the things you'll need... and please dont just look in the paints and DIY isles... look everywhere from shower things to kitchen stuffs... there is always something that can be used for a mod...

next thing you could do is order online... nationally or internationally! there are amazing online shops with everything to do with modding... i've almost wet my pants at the stuff some online shops have...

next...

Be creative... even if there isnt a creative bone in your body there must me some sort of mind in your head that you can use to think... use this little tool to its most to think of clever and unique ways of doing something in your mod. if you get stuck ask on the forums... we might be a tad slow sometimes but we do sometimes have lives away from our PC's so excuse us... we will get back to you as as possible...

Lastly!

Take pride in what you do! know that what you do is noticed by everyone you show be it on a forum or friends, family, cousins, blah blah... people judge and the best way to beat them is to make sure you're completely happy with what you have done... if you doubt something you've done is good... do it again... you only learn from mistakes and practice makes perfect right?

That is all i have for now... if anyone else has anything has something else to add please go right ahead... make everything you make for a lifetime! and never ever worry about them damn warrenties! they're all lies...! someone can almost always fix it if it breaks...
"Pull The Trigger And The Nightmare Stops"
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.skampy.co.za

http://grimandy.mybrute.com
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Mod like a pro...

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nice post :) One or two things though:

GrimAndy wrote:you need to sift through most of everything and find the gems... as they say... a rose amoungst the thorns. this is what you need to find...

out of those gems... you need to then find something out of those that influences you to do your mod... could be a part from each but there is always one that will be your main focus
This doesn't have to be the case. While you CAN use other mods for inspiration, you could also go full on with your own ideas. My first mod was heavily influenced by another mod, whereas my second mod wasn't inspired by any other mod, just my own ideas. My 360 mod was pretty much my own ideas too.

I do agree that reading forums is important though, especially if you're still new to modding. If you've been in the scene for a while, you know what's up, and reading other logs isn't a necessity, but it's always a help.

GrimAndy wrote:know that what you do is noticed by everyone you show be it on a forum or friends, family, cousins, blah blah... people judge and the best way to beat them is to
That's where preference comes in. I don't care to beat anyone's opinion, and I don't care who doesn't like my work. As long as I like my work, I'm happy. My first project was hated by many, by other people liked it too. It turned out to be a huge success, for ME, because I thought it was beautiful, and then "for everyone else" because it was published in a few places and earned me a handful of sponsors. The latter wasn't important for me though, and it still isn't. All I ever wanted was for my machine to look amazing.

Other people are very driven on outside opinions though. I know of modders who just want to have the "Best modder" title, which I personally think is lame, but whatev :P

Anyway, good post dude. Glad to see someone new in the modding scene in SA. I thought it was dead :(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

GrimAndy, I have to agree on the planning and one the parts.

and decent stuff doesn't always cost a fortune nor does it always come cheap. but decent stuff lasts and thats the kicker.

at the end of the day, do what makes you happy. just please, no toilet bowl or stuffed otter mods! :wink:

DAE_JA_VOO, did you even finish your second case mod? :? :lol:

Frak, i still need to finish andromeda, :oops:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:DAE_JA_VOO, did you even finish your second case mod? :? :lol:

Well, my 360 mod was my second finished mod. Endorphin still isn't finished though :(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Prime wrote:DAE_JA_VOO, did you even finish your second case mod? :? :lol:

Well, my 360 mod was my second finished mod. Endorphin still isn't finished though :(
well endophin is what i mean? what happened?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Ja what happened? Endorphin was going to be like super awesome from what I saw. But then I am one to complain 'ey... Paris Hilton is still not done either :oops: :?
GrimAndy wrote:
next find suppliers!

next thing you could do is order online... nationally or internationally! there are amazing online shops with everything to do with modding... i've almost wet my pants at the stuff some online shops have...
Guess what!!!

I have a link right HERE for you