Vista & Ubuntu on different partions on a HDD

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
tendy

Vista & Ubuntu on different partions on a HDD

Post by tendy »

hi . im a newbie to linux. i currently have two partitions on my HDD, the first has VIsta already installed and running..... now i want to install ubuntu 7.04 on the second partition (which is empty and unformatted)....My problem is how i go about installing ubuntu and having a dual boot!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Vista & Ubuntu on different partions on a HDD

Post by Ron2K »

Although it's been a while since I last installed Ubuntu, the installer should detect your Vista installation and set it up for you. Someone like DJV/Nuke/rustypup may be able to fill out the finer details for you.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Ubuntu comes with a bootloader called GRUB which, during installation, will detect all your other partitions and boot loaders and write the appropriate entries into the loader script.

In other words, just put the cd in, start installing and don't worry about it as it will automate most things.
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
tendy

Post by tendy »

i've tried to do the automatic installation...but it only meesed up my Vista installation and i had to reinstall... Isnt there a some way i can use to have it done by using the " manually edit partition" optiion?
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

messed up your vista installation how?

when it asks you where to install it, you need to select manual and then make sure that the partition you want it on is selected and mounted as / (root)
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
tendy

Post by tendy »

By messing up, i meant tht......i failed to boot my vista after trying to install ubuntu!

If i select the desired partiotion, and set the mount point to / (root) and ???/hda5 as my hdd, it gives me an error msg which reads "No root file system"..........even after checking the option to Reformat!
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

If you installed Vista first, then Linux , you need to re-install GRUB to the MBR.

Here's something to help you

Pretty easy to follow - you just need to have your Ubuntu live cd.
gmccumskey

Post by gmccumskey »

tendy wrote:hi . im a newbie to linux. i currently have two partitions on my HDD, the first has VIsta already installed and running..... now i want to install ubuntu 7.04 on the second partition (which is empty and unformatted)....My problem is how i go about installing ubuntu and having a dual boot!
Wait right there!

If there is no very specific reason why you absolutely must have the 7.04 version I would highly recommend you rather get your hands on the new Ubuntu 9.04. I just ran the installer from that version and its by FAR easier than any previous installer. It detects all the partitions you have, automatically selects one with no Operating System on it if there is one, then automatically sets up all the partitions it needs to create on this new partition. Its just a case of Next .. Next ... Next .. if you already have an empty partition.

In addition it will also automatically create a boot selector menu for you for when you start your PC to choose if you want to boot into Ubuntu or Vista when you start your PC.

Ubuntu's installer and boot loader have come a LONG way since 7.04. Seriously considering getting 9.04
tendy

Post by tendy »

I finally chose to have a single partion , then i nstalling ubuntu on top of vista...it worked well its working right now, and m a happy man...i'm even thinking of getting rid of Vista!....Thnx so much for your help!