Buying a dremel

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Prime

Buying a dremel

Post by Prime »

Ok, So a while back, i bought a Ryobi Rotary tool. Dremels were seemingly unavailable.

Looks like its front bearing is shot after not much use (no suprise there i guess :roll: ).

But Today while in another Mica, i see they have stock of the dremels.

So i'm keen to know, what model dremmel does everyone use, And where is the best place to buy one?

I am considering getting myself the cordless model and some of the accessories after my 21st.

:twisted:

the digital one also looks nice but its extremely expensive :|

http://www.executool.co.za/catalog/index.php?cPath=250 Also sell them, and at about the same price, with a wider range of accessories.

Another question, what about spare parts? :?:

(Yes i posted on Dae's Site too )

(and i'll go look in the suppliers thread for more info on who sells them :wink: )
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Buying a dremel

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

What's up Dave :)

Don't bother posting on my forum, i'm probably the one person that visits that forum the least :P I go there once a week or so. You're far more likely to catch me here :P

Anyway, I personally bought this kit. I paid something like 700 bucks for it at Builders when they were on special. Mine also came with a Dremel Screwdriver kit though. If you want some pics, you can look at the thread i started here.

I personally wouldn't bother with the electronic one. What do you do with the regular one? Cut stuff. And with the fancy electronic one? Cut stuff. 'nuff said :P

As for "spare parts", just buy them as you need them dude :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:What's up Dave :)

Don't bother posting on my forum, i'm probably the one person that visits that forum the least :P I go there once a week or so. You're far more likely to catch me here :P

Anyway, I personally bought this kit. I paid something like 700 bucks for it at Builders when they were on special. Mine also came with a Dremel Screwdriver kit though. If you want some pics, you can look at the thread i started here.

I personally wouldn't bother with the electronic one. What do you do with the regular one? Cut stuff. And with the fancy electronic one? Cut stuff. 'nuff said :P

As for "spare parts", just buy them as you need them dude :)
Hey Ett

Ok, read your thread. thanks Dude. I'll have a look out for that kit. :D

I was actually considering getting the battery one, but that might be better. the portability would just be convenient (and i'm a sucker for gadgets :oops: )

But if i go for that, with the difference, i can buy one of the accessories like the router and a decent chuck (hate collets, they come loose) and a box of tool bits :D

Or even a gas powered soldering iron :twisted:

Thanks.

oh and i meant spares as in mechanical spares, like brushes and bearings, not tool bits
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:(hate collets, they come loose) and a box of tool bits :D
Not the dremel ones ;) I tighten it with my hands, don't even use the tool ;)
Prime wrote:oh and i meant spares as in mechanical spares, like brushes and bearings, not tool bits
I know ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Prime wrote:(hate collets, they come loose) and a box of tool bits :D
Not the dremel ones ;) I tighten it with my hands, don't even use the tool ;)
Yes, the tools are noticeably better quality than the ryobi ones. They fit in my ryobi as i discovered today :)

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Prime wrote:oh and i meant spares as in mechanical spares, like brushes and bearings, not tool bits
I know ;)
Lol, this was mica that i saw thwm in. if its not on the shelf, its very possible they don't have it( well thats their attitude) (and given that they were and maybe still are having financial problems and as of a month or 2 back, had ceased further imports of stock )

As long as i can get spares, thats fine. :P

Have you used any of the attachemnts, like the cutting saw?
Prime

Post by Prime »

edit: wrong thread :oops:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nope, i haven't, but Samaya has a few of them. He's got the router attachment, and another one, i think.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Nope, i haven't, but Samaya has a few of them. He's got the router attachment, and another one, i think.
Thanks, i'll Pm him and ask him :) Although he'll see this thread too :idea:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Makro have stock of the kit and screwdriver for R650 :D

I'll be taking a trip there asama (as soon as money allows) :mrgreen:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Awesome! Deal!
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Prime wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Nope, i haven't, but Samaya has a few of them. He's got the router attachment, and another one, i think.
Thanks, i'll Pm him and ask him :) Although he'll see this thread too :idea:
I nearly missed this...

I have the router attachment, the saw blade attachment (Its my favourite cutting device) and I have a quick release cutting wheel. The router is nice for cutting depths or cutting straight lines along a large piece of plexi. You have to learn how to use it as it is plastic and tends to sometimes vary its height. Its usually less than 0.5mm variance but you can still see it. I did the Paris Hilton mod's PSU and drive bay indention with it but then had to finish it with my power file.

The cutting attachment is beyond awesomeness. It cuts plexi at 25000 rpm and a finished cut needs the minimal of polishing. AND all the cuts have 90' edges. Get this attachment above all others.

The quick release/change wheel is a nice to have. It just makes life easier when changing reinforced discs while cutting say 3mm thick stainless steel plating... :shock:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Awesome. Thanks dude. You answered one of the questions i've been meaning to ask about the cutting saw, which was, can it do polycarb and plexi (sorry i forgot to PM you :oops:)

Samaya, do you use the cutting saw on its own or is there some sort of a table and guide for it. I've looked at the pictures, but as far as i can see, its looks like a stand alone.

Oh and the makro one comes with the screw drivers. Lets just hope they have stock at the end of the month. :| their website indicated stock at all the branches in gp though.

Have any of you used the adjustable chuck, as an alternative to the collet chucks?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Haven't used the chuck but you can't use the chuck with the saw blade either. Plus the collets on the dremel are very good. The saw is on its own. There are no guides or so that come with it. It can only cut straight in anyway. Don't even attempt turning it. It also requires a bit of learning but once you have mastered it, you won't want to cut with anything else. My only hassle with it is that its maximum cutting depth is only about 7mm but the disc is just over 0.7mm thick. So your cuts look exceptionally neat even on your finger... :wink:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Samaya wrote:Haven't used the chuck but you can't use the chuck with the saw blade either. Plus the collets on the dremel are very good. The saw is on its own. There are no guides or so that come with it. It can only cut straight in anyway. Don't even attempt turning it. It also requires a bit of learning but once you have mastered it, you won't want to cut with anything else. My only hassle with it is that its maximum cutting depth is only about 7mm but the disc is just over 0.7mm thick. So your cuts look exceptionally neat even on your finger... :wink:
Lol, Chuck would be for the ordinary bits. it just asttaches in the same manner as the collets but its obviously variable so instead of four collets, you use one chuck... :)

Yes, it would make sense that the saw attaches directly to the dremel. I ask about guides for the exact reason that i want to be able to cut straight and to set the depth of the edge.

Thanks Guys.

I got given a thousand rand yesterday. So i can go and buy my dremel once i'm past saturday :mrgreen:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Anyone ever used the right angle attachment?

http://www.executool.co.za/catalog/prod ... ts_id=1753
Kratos

Post by Kratos »

Word of caution.. the cordsless model does not have the same power.. i have the Dremel 300-25 http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-z ... cat_id=471 ..

the flexi makes it easy..