Mag and Cover disk needs more

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Juvencio

Mag and Cover disk needs more

Post by Juvencio »

From the fist time I got my copy of PCF we had only a CD cover disk and we were limited to the amount of fun apps we got. Now its a dubbel sided DVD now thats cool and the first few were just what we wanted games apps and more than before. Over the last few monthes I grew less and less interested in the MAG and the cover disk, the MAG and disk seems to be heading the same direction as NAG - NOT COOL AT ALL.

All I would like to see in the MAG and on the cover disk is a bit on other OS, not just for windows.
let me elaborate maybe make one side for windows, as that is the most common OS in SA only.
Maybe divide the second side into different section's, one for MAC and one for LINUX
and add apps, games, how to and more

If PCF are only interested in is making money and forcing every one to get window, than go right ahead.
If your MAG is interested in giving us the reader's the best advice and material to work from, than what have you got to lose. What about this idea? This month you have a pol on ATI vs NVIDIA.
Why not have a pol on this!!!!!!!!

Q: what OS would you like to see more of in the MAG and the cover disk?

1.Windows
2.Linux
3.Mac
4.Windows / Linux / Mack

My point is it took me 5 years to get winows to do what I want. I still need to format my dive every few monthes even with fancy cleaning and organisation software.
and on Linux after a year im still smiling all the way.

my only down side to Linux is not Linux it self, but all the main software and game producers not producing more for Linux and mac.

So can wee pleas pleas pleas pleas pleas get more for Linux and mac OS apps, games and more?
Last edited by Juvencio on 01 Sep 2008, 21:25, edited 3 times in total.
KNOWLEDGE IS NOT A PRIVILEGE
IT’S A NECESSITY
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Mag and Cover disk needs more

Post by Anakha56 »

um Punctuation? And while I am the last person to say this one, Spelling? Seriously no full stops anywhere, I would have died if I was reading it aloud...

/waits for grammer nazi rusty...

WRT to your query PCF has been making an effort for Linux however I dont think the Mac OS has a big majority in the PCF reader base. Also how about giving us a brief description of what it is PCF is doing that is so like NAG?

As to your Q I would like more of Linux (tut's come to mind) and Windows but Mac? Not really the user abse is to small for MAC...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Juvencio

Post by Juvencio »

:oops: Sorry got a little cared away!!!!!

about the nag issue. All the demo's and pic's.
Maybe its a conspiracy, or PCF gets a little something on the side from the game developers.
yes the free apps we get we got before. Not all of them but most of them, over and over and over.
What happened to the demo software. The discount on upgrades.

I agree on the mac but I did not want to offend any mac user's.

In Linux I can copy a file containing 10 gig, from one HD to another HD in +- 6 min.
In windows +- 30 min. I save a bit you think.

So can we expect some apps for Linux or not, or will we only get the Ubuntu 8 64 bit in the next issue.
Yes I know that we the people who are non subscriber will be getting it in the next issue.
IT’S A NECESSITY
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ah I see what you are asking for. :)

maybe Nab (the ed) will take a read and respond.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Wow nice first post, I note your second is not much better, in fact it's even more belligerent. I don't really see why you think it's necessary to come onto the PCFormat forums(not spelled LinuxFormat) and attack us for Windows.

Make no mistake, we are pro open source and will do our best to support the community where we can, but you have zero manners and are doing far more damage to your cause than good.

I also don't know what it means to be heading in the same direction as NAG as I personally think they produce a magnificent magazine, albeit a far more game orientated one.I am sorry if you have issues with Windows, you might want to try some of the quick fixes we print in the magazine you buy and don't read.

There is a LinuxFormat and a MacFormat over the pond but alas, we are not them. If we could find someone who would advertise in a Linux or Fruit OS mag and people who would actually read it we might be tempted. Until then you will have to get over it. FYI the making money comment was uber dumb, no readers = no advertisers = no money= epic fail. In summation: this is PCFormat, we do Windows and please play nice before the mods get hold of you.

EDIT: I see your repost, apology accepted. Feel free to post your request in the coverdisc requests thread or mail them to us and we will make a plan.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Grrr Nab!!! You seriously need to learn about paragraphs! Makes for easier reading... :P :lol:
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Sorry Anakha, I use indents for paragraphs out of habit and they don't show lol, I will use line breaks
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol:

Thank you I was getting a head ache trying to read your posts :P

/watch rusty/stuart is going to nail me for spelling errors now :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote::lol:

Thank you I was getting a head ache trying to read your posts :P

/watch rusty/stuart is going to nail me for spelling errors now :P
Sorry for the delay ... just saw this now. Um ...

Headache is one word. ;)

Edit: Oh, and ... *checks birth certificate and ID book* ... Stuart seems to have a capital S, but that's up for debate. :P
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Juvencio wrote:...I still need to format my dive every few monthes even with fancy cleaning and organisation software...

Why? PEBKAC much?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Juvencio

Post by Juvencio »

Sory if I offend anyone that was not my intention.
Sorry if you cant handle a bit of sarcasm ether.

All we (non windows users, more like Linux) ask for, is a tiny bit of reviews and stuff for us.
examples below.

All the links below need internet connection!

How to get Skype on Linux?
copy this line by line and past it in your terminal.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/feisty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

sudo aptitude install skype

How to get some fun small free games?
copy this line by line and past it in your terminal.

sudo apt-get install xmoto

how about 3D game demos like

America’s Army
America’s Army is a tactical, multiplayer, FPS (first person shooter) owned by the United States Government and released as a global public relations initiative to help with U.S. Army recruitment. The first version, Recon, was released on 4th July 2002. The current version 2.8.2 was released on september 2007.

The Open Racing Car Simulator
TORCS is an open source 3D racing simulator using OpenGL technologies. It is runnable on all Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX and Windows platforms. There are 50 different cars, 20 tracks and 50 opponents to race against. The multiplayer mode can accommodate up to 4 human players. Several of the simulation include damaged models, collisions and aerodynamics like ground effects, spoilers, etc. Development is currently being carried out to enable online racing mode.

Scorched 3D
Scorched 3D is a 100% free turn-based artillery game modeled after the classic DOS game Scorched Earth ‘The Mother Of All Games’. Operatable across all operating systems. What started as a 3D landscape generator has now become a cool 3D game that requires skills to master. Players are supposed to take turns homing in to hit the target by adjusting the angle, rotation, power and a weapon of choice every other turn. Hits and kills will generate income for you to buy better weapons and items. Note that items are as important as weapons.

TrueCombat: Elite
TC:Elite happens to be a total-conversion modification of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory by Team Terminator and Groove Six Studios. The game is free and playable across all platforms. Notable features include iron sights aiming (no crosshair), multi layer object penetration, letterbox / wide screen view modes, lag compensation, client side bullet prediction and support for PunkBuster, the anti cheat software.
Thats all on my side. Is that realy asking for much

note the above are examples only, but you get the idea
thank a lot for your time.
IT’S A NECESSITY
Juvencio

Post by Juvencio »

hey more games for Linux. :lol:
http://www.anewmorning.com/2008/07/24/3 ... -favorite/

and apps for Linux. :roll:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Lin ... s_software

and who says we can't do it all in linux!!!! :mrgreen:
IT’S A NECESSITY
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Juvencio wrote:and who says we can't do it all in linux!!!! :mrgreen:
Bill Gates.
Juvencio

Post by Juvencio »

Wasn't Bill Gates the one that was sued? for holding the monopoly on OS apps and games. :!:

And its not Linux fault that you yes you Stuart!
Have problems installing Vodacom 3G HSDPA E220 modem in Vista.
Well I have it, and it took me about 1min to set mine up, no drivers needed! :lol:

BTW how is Vista? Still giving problems? (not began sour just asking) :?:

whats cool in Linux!! :P
I can mount images with out a 3rd party app! :lol:
I can listen to music without loading it in to a media player, just move my mouse cursor on it. :lol:
I move 10 Gig of info from one hd to another it takes about 15 min. :lol:
Running 4 app's now and I'm only using 400 Mib of 2.7 Gig ram, 4% of CPU1 and 10% CPU2. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I still run a XP Pro system to play most of my games. :evil:
But Bill Gates pade for that mistake! :mrgreen:

PS. Wasn't the Unix system around before Windows :?:

Unix 1969 – People coming to gether for a common goal :!:
Windows 1980 – People getting paid to do their job :!:
IT’S A NECESSITY
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

You've got such a lot of misconceptions I don't know where to start.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Juvencio wrote:Wasn't Bill Gates the one that was sued? for holding the monopoly on OS apps and games. :!:

And its not Linux fault that you yes you Stuart!
Have problems installing Vodacom 3G HSDPA E220 modem in Vista.
Well I have it, and it took me about 1min to set mine up, no drivers needed! :lol:

BTW how is Vista? Still giving problems? (not began sour just asking) :?:

whats cool in Linux!! :P
I can mount images with out a 3rd party app! :lol:
I can listen to music without loading it in to a media player, just move my mouse cursor on it. :lol:
I move 10 Gig of info from one hd to another it takes about 15 min. :lol:
Running 4 app's now and I'm only using 400 Mib of 2.7 Gig ram, 4% of CPU1 and 10% CPU2. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I still run a XP Pro system to play most of my games. :evil:
But Bill Gates pade for that mistake! :mrgreen:

PS. Wasn't the Unix system around before Windows :?:

Unix 1969 – People coming to gether for a common goal :!:
Windows 1980 – People getting paid to do their job :!:
What the hell is this kid saying? I'd send him for observation at an institute just to make sure he's mentally stable... :shock:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Juvencio

Post by Juvencio »

All I really want is just to get a bit more for Linux is that to much to ask for? :cry:

And the Unix system is older than the dos system!

Let’s give South Africans a bit of a chose……
IT’S A NECESSITY
rsifan

Post by rsifan »

Juvencio wrote:All I really want is just to get a bit more for Linux is that to much to ask for? :cry:

And the Unix system is older than the dos system!

Let’s give South Africans a bit of a chose……
Let's get them to finish school first so they can spell properly when replying on forums!!

BTW, you have some very misguided misconceptions on the Windows OS. I'm not saying that it's a perfect OS, far from it, but I think you need some therapy.......
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Since this is now a Windows vs Linux debate im locking this.