Why Mandrake Why?!

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Why Mandrake Why?!

Post by Azgard »

I got Mandrake 10.0 today and am busy using my PC for my project so I decided to install it on my family PC in my lounge.

It installed nice and quickly, it needed three discs yet managed to install much quicker than Windows ever did.

Only one problem, for some unknown reason I told it I had a Geforce FX5200 in setup. Now that PC has integrated graphics and I have the Geforce FX5200 in my system.

Now it won't boot to GUI mode, I trying startx but it just goes back to the shell (text mode).

How can I reconfigure it from there? Help :(
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Yeah it does that.

Reinstall it and configure the graphics card as a vesa or summin like that then it will work.
U chose generic FX hey?
U need Nvidia drivers so just say its a vesa or vese
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Do I really have to reinstall just from something stupid like that?

Oh how do I reinstall? I put the boot CD in but it just booted like normal.
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Yeah, thats the easiest way.
But boot disk in and try upgrading if that doesn't work just format and re-intall
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

There is another way. You type a command in the console to open a config program. I think it is configx or xconfig. I'll make sure and post it here tomorrow.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

you can also open the mandrake control center from command line (control center wont be gui though) and you can try configuring the display card from there.
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
simmy

Post by simmy »

kailinin wrote:you can also open the mandrake control center from command line (control center wont be gui though) and you can try configuring the display card from there.
I tried this last nite on my RH installation, after installing drives for my gfx card which didnt work and didnt want to boot KDE, and my command line skill aint that good in Linux.

Sooo... I reinstalled :mrgreen:
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

i think the command "sax2" also can configure the gfx card

i remember i turned the resolution on my monitor way high last time and it wudn't go to KDE.

i used tht to re-configure it back, no need to re-install
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
brabham

Post by brabham »

hmmm keep an eye on this thread I must. Mandrake 10 I will install tonight. :?
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
simmy

Post by simmy »

And this one

And this one

And this one

Not so much this one
brabham

Post by brabham »

Actually I have mandrake 10, Suse 9.1 and debian 3.0 so I'm toying with which one to install first. Got it all within the space of three days. After waiting so bloody long... :D

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

brabham wrote:Actually I have mandrake 10, Suse 9.1 and debian 3.0 so I'm toying with which one to install first. Got it all within the space of three days. After waiting so bloody long... :D
suse all the way.
- Himura Battousai.
jee

Post by jee »

Brabbie, Mandrake! Thats the one I have, then we can play together. Ayjayess also has that (got it from butterfly) and he is loving it.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
brabham

Post by brabham »

hehe right you are jee sweetie! Mandrake it is. :D

jee

Post by jee »

Now we need to talk Hawk into using Mandrake as well...... :lol:
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

jee should be mandrakesoft's marketing director :D
- Himura Battousai.
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

I wrote:There is another way. You type a command in the console to open a config program. I think it is configx or xconfig. I'll make sure and post it here tomorrow.
So here it is:

Code: Select all

# Xconfigurator
NOTE: capatil X
NOTE2: See the # => that mean you sould run it as root.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
simmy

Post by simmy »

Deng, vv3bcr3atur3, deng. After all the commands I used.....now only :wink:
Thanks for future ref...
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Did you come right with your X windows (GUI) and Mandrake ?

It can be a REAL bear to get it working when it won't, but 9 times out of 10, it's a simple thing - problem is, it can take you 4 hours to find out what that thing is !

Doing a re-install with Linux, while it should be a last resort, is often the only option when your a newbie.

Now, onto X and Nvidia.

The default install of Mandrake 10 will set up drivers for your Nvidia card with a driver module name nv and the resolution etc. you decided upon during install, unfortunately, it doesn't always "take" - there's no hard and fast rule why, but put it down to lack of hardware vendor support to Linux.

Your going to have to do one of three or all three things :-

1. Run xf86config - this is a daunting process for the first time, you'll think you've entered some arcane lair of extreme Geekness - best thing is to get some printouts from windows about it, or have a second puter handy with info !
Brace yourself, but remember - it isn't really that hard. The mouse bits - just make sure you get that right, ignore all 3 button mice questions about emulation, just except standard old US keyboard and say no to any wierd questions.

How do you run it ?
At the terminal prompt, just type xf86config

Most important thing here is the card database and the monitor section. say Y to looking at the card database and find your generic entry - for nvidia, it should be clear enough, when you select it, be sure to make a note of the number you chose, because sure as hell, you'll be back into xf86config a few times !

Monitor - this is tricky - I've got used to my 17" monitor selection - I'll admit, if you don't know anything about monitor frequencies, you'll be lost here - look at the resolution options. Take a guess if your not sure and make a note of it.

Resolution - just set everything to 1024 for the first run through and don't set 'virtual screen size' - just say no ! :)

Anyway, I'm rambling here.

2. Manually editing the X config file.

This is nasty nasty stuff when you first try it - first of all, your stuck in terminal mode and most the time, you really really don't know what the fsck your doing when you first start out.

Here's just some basic basic pointers that'll probably confuzz you more than anything else.

the most basic (altho very powerful) 'text' editing tool on a linux box is usually a program called vi or vim - it's horrible when you first use it. I'm mentioning this one because it's a basic installed one - I won't go into the other terminal editors (pico, joe etc.) or I'll be here forever.

Anyway, at command prompt :-

cd /etc/X11

vi XF86Config-4 (for mandrake 10 - it can be called other things for different distributions, but soon, all will use Xorg.conf)

I'm not going to go into details here - it would take all day and it's been detailed all over the net - you'll have to do a search.
What you are mainly looking for here is your video card driver and of course anything that may cause X to crash back to the terminal.

You'll have to do some reading up big time if your having lots of problems.

vi basics :-
http://www.google.com/search?q=vi+basic ... 8&oe=utf-8

nv driver module :-

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

3. Install the official Nvidia drivers (recommended for Mandrake)
If this goes well, it's an absolute breeze - you have to be prepared to read though, and search the net if neccessary

The basics are :-

- download the drivers - DOH !
- install (as root) - sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run (or whatever version you have)
- edit your config file - see point 2. above

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... -4363.html

Be sure to read the docs - usually installed in /usr/doc/share/NVIDIA, or use the link above.

Happy happy - I hope you get it sorted, because stuff like this is what stops Linux becoming mainstream ! - it's like getting a free car with an engine that doesn't always work and your expected to fix it. :D
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Well I went back into Windows, used Partition Magic and deleted the drives that the Mandrake installation made.

Then I booted from the first CD and just reinstalled it. I chose VESA for graphics adapter and Plug and Play monitor. This installation was on my other system which has a Gigabyte board and integreated KM400 graphics so I'm not sure if I need special drivers for it to work properly.

I also had some time today so I decided to install it on my main system. After my first problem I restarted and it install fine. It found my graphics card as a FX5200 and I installed it as that and it worked fine. I have a problem with my built-in audio and network card though, it didn't pick them up, as well as my ISDN USB modem but for the moment this isnt a major problem. But I do need to get my audio and network working.

I just have a few questions:

1) I've looked at Nvidias website and found Linux drivers but I don't know which ones to get, they only have up to Mandrake 9.0 drivers there and they have for 32-bit and AMD 64-bit, Now I have a 64-bit CPU but the ver. of Mandrake I have is only 32-bit at the moment.
Which one do I download, and also for my graphics card is there a driver I can download at Nvidias site?

2) How do I install the drivers I download? Also I have a disc of Software and Updates and two discs of contribs, how do I install something from them?

3) I have a .tar.gz file of super pi for linux and I can extract the files but have no idea how to run super pi...

4) How do I view other machines that are networked together with the one with Linux on, like a network neighbourhood of sorts?

5) What are the usually things one does after installing Linux, Mandrake in particular, like when I install Windows I set up some system settings, update drivers, set up AV and firewall etc..

I know there are lots of references to very good beginner Linux guides here but they are usually so long and at the moment I just wanna get it up and running, I'll read up and fine tune my skills when I get some time.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I'll try to answer your questions quickly :-
1) I've looked at Nvidias website and found Linux drivers but I don't know which ones to get, they only have up to Mandrake 9.0 drivers there and they have for 32-bit and AMD 64-bit, Now I have a 64-bit CPU but the ver. of Mandrake I have is only 32-bit at the moment.
Which one do I download, and also for my graphics card is there a driver I can download at Nvidias site?
If you've installed the 32-bit Mandrake, I'm almost 100% certain you'll need to get the 32-bit drivers.
Get the generic drivers - not the distribution specific ones.
2) How do I install the drivers I download? Also I have a disc of Software and Updates and two discs of contribs, how do I install something from them?
In the terminal, you'll have to go through the tricky process I indicated above, but let me give you some quick pointers :-

To install sh nvidia-blah-blah-blah - basically, wherever you downloaded them to, you need to be there in terminal mode, not in X. You have to exit from X, which is a bit tricky if you've chosen for X to run at startup by default. The only way you can exit out of X if you have it setup to start on boot is to kill a process via a terminal. For the life of me, I can't remember what that process is called now - kdm or gdm ? - you'll have to lookup on the net.

Here's a sample google search, you may be able to refine it more :-

http://www.google.com/search?q=mandrake ... 8&oe=utf-8

Anyway, once you are in terminal mode, as root, use the sh command on the Nvidia drivers you downloaded - you should go into a curses "gui" with some options to install. Say no to downloading specific drivers for your distribution - go with the generic.
You MUST have installed the kernel-headers during install for it to work - best to actually install the kernel source. No worry if you haven't, you can crank up Mandrake to install them, or if you can't even get X windows running, you'll have to use the terminal to mount CD's and search for the kernel packages and install with rpm
If you have the kernel headers/source installed, the Nvidia drivers should install ok.
You may have to type out this command in terminal after installing :-

insmod nvidia

Before doing that, type lsmod and hit enter and see what modules are loaded.

Once you've done that, you need to edit your XF86Config-4 (or XF86Config or Xorg.conf depending) file to find the driver of your card.
I'm not going into detail here - I'm all typed out - check /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA-x (can't remember the exact path) and the README in there - use vi to view it.

Basically, you need to change the Mandrake installed nv driver to the Nvidia nvidia driver - god knows why Mandrake doesn't give you the option to install the official nvidia drivers by default ! - in fact, no distributions do. Pathetic really.
3) I have a .tar.gz file of super pi for linux and I can extract the files but have no idea how to run super pi...
Never tried it - what do you need it for - it's a file/text editor right ?
Just use pico or vim
4) How do I view other machines that are networked together with the one with Linux on, like a network neighbourhood of sorts?
Samba

http://www.google.com/search?q=mandrake ... 8&oe=utf-8
5) What are the usually things one does after installing Linux, Mandrake in particular, like when I install Windows I set up some system settings, update drivers, set up AV and firewall etc..
You'll already have your firewall in place - put it this way, if your not running as root and you have very few processes running (daemons), your way more secure than windows anyway. But, look into running processes like ftp/web/ssh/dhcp servers.

Configuring the desktop is just learning - there's nothing I can help you with here, you'll either accept the default KDE desktop from basic install, customise it, or load up another desktop manager like Gnome.

There's some similarities to windows, but not many.
In fact, your going to be dissapointed with a lot of stuff - mark my words.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Thanks for all the help bb_matt.

On Monday when I restart I'll give it a try, I've downloaded the Nforce chipset drivers and my graphics card drivers from Nvidia and instructions on how to install them so I'll try it out on Monday.

I've managed to view my files from my PC on my other PC through Linux and I've shared some folders from that PC but I can't see them from my PC.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Ok now I'm just starting to get annoyed. :evil:

I follow instructions from Nvidias site and still I can't get it to work.

I installed the rpm for my graphics card then rebooted and it won't boot to X. So in edited the file which I can't remember the name of, XF86... and it was already set to what they said it must be, I tried changing the driver from "nvidia" to "nv" and still wouldn't work. Then I put it on VESA and it booted to a blank black screen.

As for the motherboard drivers, I downloaded the source rpms since the only other option was the tarballs. I did what they said "rpmbuild --rebuild filename and it gave me some errors and it created no rpm install file.

Help please :)
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

Azgard wrote:As for the motherboard drivers, I downloaded the source rpms since the only other option was the tarballs. I did what they said "rpmbuild --rebuild filename and it gave me some errors and it created no rpm install file.
What errors?

As for the display card: try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 then do every thing via the console

From the TLUG forum:
derick wrote:To install nVidia drivers:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a virtual terminal and log in as root.
2. Go to runlevel 3 (no X) by entering 'init 3'
3. Install the nVidia drivers:

Code: Select all

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run
(or whatever your driver is called)
4. Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as the nVidia documentation says (basically, in the "Device" section, change Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia") (I'm really surprised that the installer doesn't do this for you...)
5. Go back to runlevel 5 with 'init 5'
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

vv3bcr3atur3 wrote:
What errors?

As for the display card: try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 then do every thing via the console

From the TLUG forum:
derick wrote: To install nVidia drivers:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a virtual terminal and log in as root.
2. Go to runlevel 3 (no X) by entering 'init 3'
3. Install the nVidia drivers: Code:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run
(or whatever your driver is called)
4. Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as the nVidia documentation says (basically, in the "Device" section, change Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia") (I'm really surprised that the installer doesn't do this for you...)
5. Go back to runlevel 5 with 'init 5'
I got my graphics card drivers working now :)
The way I did it was to choose failsafe, I think, from the boot menu and then go to run level 3, then login as root and then I installed using that command. After that I checked the XF86Config-4 file and it had been updated so I restarted and it worked don't know what the prob. was the first time around though.

What does Ctrl+Alt+F2 do, and Ctrl+Alt+F1?

I tried to post what I'd saved that happened when I did the build but since my connection doesn't like uploading amount of data bigger than a few k :evil: I can't upload it all.

Here are some lines though.

[root@localhost Mobo]# rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0274.src.rpm
Installing NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0274.src.rpm
warning: user buildmeister does not exist - using root
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.38405

etc.........

nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_tx_stats_open':
nvenet.c:2804: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/linux/module.h:495)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_release':
nvenet.c:2821: warning: `MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/linux/module.h:507)
make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.38405 (%build)

RPM build errors:
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.38405 (%build)
[root@localhost Mobo]#

There were basically errors in all the lines, and it was 6 pages long.