Latest issue

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Oj

Post by Oj »

How the hell do you ppl get the latest issue so early??? 8O 8O 8O
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

Oj wrote:How the hell do you ppl get the latest issue so early??? 8O 8O 8O
something called subscription and good SAPO speed. 8)

average I get my issue around the 20th of every month.
Oj

Post by Oj »

Unfair! 8O I gotta wait until the wed after the 25th!
riaandp

Post by riaandp »

I got mine Yesterday...

We have a new manager at our local SAPO.

Now things are going well... :lol:
Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ : Gigabyte 8I945
2x1GB Corsair DDR2 : 200GB SATA2
Gigabyte 6600TFE 256MB : LITE-ON 20x Lightscribe DVD-RW
Gigabyte Triton Case: AOpen 400 Watt PSU
19" Sony LCD Monitor : Gigabyte Wireless Mouse & Keyboard : Creative 5100 5.1
Oj

Post by Oj »

So tell me a bit about it. How did Walt anonunce that he was leaving?
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

I haven't gotten the latest issue, but he probably handled it like every other editor thus far. "moving on in life", "moving to greener pastures", or something like that. It's not like he's allowed to say any more than that...
Oj

Post by Oj »

So no-one knows where he's going? I'll mail him
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Errr. LoL. I've already said where he's going. Check 1 or 2 pages back. Both Walt and Christo have started at another company who are to bring out a new magazine on the market soon. I don't think I'm at liberty to mention the company name already - not now at least. It'll pop up on the forums though sometime soon.
Just mail him and he'll tell you. Or MSN. ;-)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

First Off...

Welcome to PCF Stacey (Editor) and Deon (Hardware). I hope you enjoy your stay at PCF.

Page 11 about the X1900XTX you stated "enthusiasts are voting with their wallets for NVIDIA's 7900GTX. A card that's slower, more expensive and offers fewer features than ATI finest.

Out of the Top 20 listings for 3DMark 06 on Futuremark's ORB, 6 is 7900GTX SLI's, 13 is X1900 Crossfire's and 1 is 7950GX2.

Then you say the 7900GTX is more expensive than the X1900XTX. According to PC Zones the 7900GTX costs R4499 (R3999 cash). According to PC International the X1900XTX costs R5015. According to Sybaritic the XFX Extreme Edition 7900GTX costs R5141. Their Asus X1900XTX costs R5642. So IMO the 7900GTX is cheaper.

Page 14 about AMD 4X4. I'm glad you said Intel is better in every aspect. Thanks

Pages 52-57. Very nice in depth review about the NVIDIA 7950GX2

Also a very nice review on Core 2 Duo
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Then...Pages 74-78 with the Hard Drive tests. ( WD Caviar 500GB ; Hitachi Deskstar 500GB ; Maxtor Diamondmax 500GB ; Seagate Barracuda 750GB )

I don't agree on a few points with you here. 'PCF Says..."If you really can' t stretch your budget to the Barracuda this the only other choice."

I mean SERIOUSLY. The Caviar costs R2390 and the Barracuda R4200. That isn't stretching your budget. That is almost doubling it. 2 Caviars would cost you R4780 and then you will have 1TB worth of storage.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

With the Hitachi 'PCF says..."This old dog doesn't have the requisite new tricks to make it worth a look and is hampered by it's price." Witch is R2499

Then you wrote at the Maxtor 'PCF Says..."A decent drive at a decent price (of R2599), but the average test scores means it loses out overall"

I don't understand the parts in bold...the Hitachi is overpriced and the Maxtor is decently priced. The Maxtor costs R100 more.

Thanks...This was a very decent issue with a few minor problems...Keep up the good work

Sorry about the three posts. My internet is fussy about long posts
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

@ WiK1d ---> New issue...? got to get it and word up to the new kids in the house... PCFormat roxors my soxors...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Any comments from Cameron or Stacey?
junjun

Post by junjun »

Damn i think that the cover model is hot hot hot.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Welcome to newbies of PCF - prepare to be owned
FTB_Screamer

Post by FTB_Screamer »

Did I miss something :?, what was was the big issue with putting a wonderbra model on the cover, even the new ed said she will never put another one on. What was the big deal????
junjun

Post by junjun »

Theres no big deal, i just think she looks great >1 more reason to buy PCF>
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Firstly, thanks for the comments. This issue was a bit of a hectic one because the PCF team was basically Cronje (the graphic designer) and myself so there might be a few errors. Any probs with this issue will be my fault except for a few things that Stacey and Deon did when they started. Please be gentle guys!
-=WiK1d=- wrote:Then...Pages 74-78 with the Hard Drive tests. ( WD Caviar 500GB ; Hitachi Deskstar 500GB ; Maxtor Diamondmax 500GB ; Seagate Barracuda 750GB )

I don't agree on a few points with you here. 'PCF Says..."If you really can' t stretch your budget to the Barracuda this the only other choice."

I mean SERIOUSLY. The Caviar costs R2390 and the Barracuda R4200. That isn't stretching your budget. That is almost doubling it. 2 Caviars would cost you R4780 and then you will have 1TB worth of storage.
If you read it you will see that it actually makes sense. If you only have, say, R2500 to spend and cant afford the Barracuda (R4200) then the Caviar is the next best thing. This test pricing was based on a per a gig so you cant really compare it the way you have.
-=WiK1d=- wrote:With the Hitachi 'PCF says..."This old dog doesn't have the requisite new tricks to make it worth a look and is hampered by it's price." Witch is R2499

Then you wrote at the Maxtor 'PCF Says..."A decent drive at a decent price (of R2599), but the average test scores means it loses out overall"

I don't understand the parts in bold...the Hitachi is overpriced and the Maxtor is decently priced. The Maxtor costs R100 more.
Its an overall opinion, the drive still came out last. Read all of the text and not just the final thoughts and it should make sense.
-=WiK1d=- wrote: Page 11 about the X1900XTX you stated "enthusiasts are voting with their wallets for NVIDIA's 7900GTX. A card that's slower, more expensive and offers fewer features than ATI finest.

Out of the Top 20 listings for 3DMark 06 on Futuremark's ORB, 6 is 7900GTX SLI's, 13 is X1900 Crossfire's and 1 is 7950GX2.

Then you say the 7900GTX is more expensive than the X1900XTX. According to PC Zones the 7900GTX costs R4499 (R3999 cash). According to PC International the X1900XTX costs R5015. According to Sybaritic the XFX Extreme Edition 7900GTX costs R5141. Their Asus X1900XTX costs R5642. So IMO the 7900GTX is cheaper.
I'll grab and issue and comment, cant remember but I think it could be an error.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Right, got the issue. Firstly, you need to look at recommended retail and not pricing from just anywhere. You probably will find it cheaper elsewhere compared to whats in the mag, PC Int's pricing is rather cheap (not even close to recommended retail) so it’s a bad comparison. You also need to look at brands, some are cheaper than others and we work on an average. And lastly, pricing changes...we produce the mag a month in advance.

Edit: Just needed a few adjustments
Last edited by Cameron_Losco on 29 Aug 2006, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

The model is too damn sexy for my eyeballs.

In the letters section, where she's chilling with her laptop, I can see right up her dress and see her landing strip. Seriously. It's awesome.

Super issue, I enjoyed it immensely. Luis is a pretty funny dude when he replies to question. Good luck to the new ed! We're rootin' tootin' for her! Woot woot!...as they would say.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

hi.

I haven't recieved mine in the post yet. :(

New Ed is a girl. The IT industry has lost all it stereotypes. FINALLY!!!
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Mikdog wrote:The model is too damn sexy for my eyeballs.

In the letters section, where she's chilling with her laptop, I can see right up her dress and see her landing strip. Seriously. It's awesome.
In person, she is just as hot. Fine, fine, FINE!
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

KillerByte wrote:hi.

I haven't recieved mine in the post yet. :(

New Ed is a girl. The IT industry has lost all it stereotypes. FINALLY!!!
I receive mine last week friday... :? I think they post late this month? or bcoz of the rain.

and the 4GHZ thing still surives on PG49... ~.~
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I can see right up her dress and see her landing strip. Seriously. It's awesome.
that is sad. GET a life and a girlfriend!
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Cameron Losco wrote:
Mikdog wrote:The model is too damn sexy for my eyeballs.

In person, she is just as hot. Fine, fine, FINE!
Oops, didnt read everything you said. Landing strip...I dont think so bro. Maybe your eyes are playing tricks on you.