UV Reactive Vinyl???? Please Help!!!!

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
UrBaN

UV Reactive Vinyl???? Please Help!!!!

Post by UrBaN »

Ive got a case with a clear perspex side window.

What i'd like to do is to make a UV reactive vinyl, so that when off, the window looks semi-transparent,but when i turn the uv light on, the vinyl reacts and shows a given image....Any suggestions???????

Is it possible to get UV reactive vinyls in a chosen colour??? (ie 2-tone red/blue or whatever)..?????
:?: [/quote]
dammod

Post by dammod »

I have noooooo clue dude but if you could find something like that it would really ROCK!!
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Do a search for Grafitack then check out their site. PM me later if you want contact details for importers.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Hz,

I think tou can find some UV perspex at Maizeys plastic in Pretoria or wherever else they have their shops. I saw it there when I bought normal perspex. Maybe just phone them and find out. ( I don't have their number try yellowpages).

Goodluck
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Yes, it can be done. I wasn't going to let you know how because you OBVIOUSLY didn't go to these guys first 'cos they are the fathers of modding. 8) But I'm a nice guy.

Here's the link to what you want. http://www.themodfathers.jolt.co.uk/?pa ... ow&id=6142

I wanted to do the same but I couldn't get the "mirrored transparency film" 'cos I'm in a little town and don't often go to the city.
I did something similar though from the above idea. I printed a cool anime pic onto normal HP transparency paper and stuck it onto the window with tape. then I used UV paint http://www.enox.co.za/ to paint the image and when the UV light goes on it brings the image to life and looks awesome. Everyone wanted to know how I got the image printed onto the perspex so there's a nice trick for you. It sounds simple and easy, as it is but the result was amazing for a project that cost under R50.

So for what you want to do, all you need to use is mirrored transparency film (from your local stationary shop) and do what I did above. The mirrored transparency works basically the same way as a one way mirror. Enjoy and if you go through with it please post your final project so I can marvel at it, and let me know where you got your mirrored film from.
Hman

Post by Hman »

I did almost the same, I only sprayed white paint finely at the back, so there are just little droplets. When a light shines from outside the case, the picture seems to be on a white background. But when I turn on the ccfl's inside you can see in to the pc.

UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

THANX A LOT!!!!!!

I never expected such a response...I'll post when I've done the project...gimme a while cos I still gotta get the components....
dammod

Post by dammod »

*off topic* I just noticed you sig Hman...and was wondering how a helmet would help when you are skydiving?...I always noticed that skydivers where helmets but could not figure out why?...
Hman

Post by Hman »

He He, hi there dammod, I don't sky dive, I paraglide. But anyways we only wear helmets to keep our brains in one place to make the clean-up easier after falling on your head :lol: , only joking. It's there for legal reasons and safety if your on the ground or when your fall isn't too severe.

Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Yes, it can be done. I wasn't going to let you know how because you OBVIOUSLY didn't go to these guys first 'cos they are the fathers of modding. 8) But I'm a nice guy.

Here's the link to what you want. http://www.themodfathers.jolt.co.uk/?pa ... ow&id=6142

I wanted to do the same but I couldn't get the "mirrored transparency film" 'cos I'm in a little town and don't often go to the city.
I did something similar though from the above idea. I printed a cool anime pic onto normal HP transparency paper and stuck it onto the window with tape. then I used UV paint http://www.enox.co.za/ to paint the image and when the UV light goes on it brings the image to life and looks awesome. Everyone wanted to know how I got the image printed onto the perspex so there's a nice trick for you. It sounds simple and easy, as it is but the result was amazing for a project that cost under R50.

So for what you want to do, all you need to use is mirrored transparency film (from your local stationary shop) and do what I did above. The mirrored transparency works basically the same way as a one way mirror. Enjoy and if you go through with it please post your final project so I can marvel at it, and let me know where you got your mirrored film from.
Nice idea :!:

I can't find any UV paint,
those guys from the link say they are waiting for stock, but has no ETA on the stuff :cry:
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Icebladed. Dunno where else to try. What I also do is buy UV permanent markers from PNA. When they get old and sort of dry they mark them down from R40 to R1. Still works perfectly fine if you ask me. But R40 is still ok. I even used it on my hair and clothes at raves.

The Markers are nice for the edges of cards etc, but the paint works much better for flat surfaces.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

UV permanent markets :?

Sounds nice, might just get one :wink:

But would like the paint :cry:
Futs

Post by Futs »

IceBlade how much paint/cost ?
I recently bought a nail polish bottle size that clears once dry, and they charged me R56 for that.
Still have some left, its all out modding for me today :)
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

yes check that site Bio-Hazard posted,
same stuff for R20 :wink: But no stock now :cry:
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Re:

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

UrBaN wrote:THANX A LOT!!!!!!

I never expected such a response...I'll post when I've done the project...gimme a while cos I still gotta get the components....
Guess this never happened :roll: :lol:
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
UrBaN

Re: UV Reactive Vinyl???? Please Help!!!!

Post by UrBaN »

Firestrm, Necrophylliac, could you please refrain from necroing EVERY old thread? :lol:

Money money bucks bucks :(
to ápeiro anima
Prime

Re: UV Reactive Vinyl???? Please Help!!!!

Post by Prime »

UrBaN wrote:Firestrm, Necrophylliac, could you please refrain from necroing EVERY old thread? :lol:

Money money bucks bucks :(
he is a worm, its all his code is good for.

its the sort of n00bish thing someone who has been on the forum, little more than a year, does... :roll:

oh wait... :lol: