ethernet

Network problem solving and tweaks
Elwe_Singollo

ethernet

Post by Elwe_Singollo »

Is it possible to use one computer as a kind of hub to network three computers via ethernet?I mean,I want to install an extra network card on one machine,and have 2 crossover cables going to the other 2 computer.will this work?will the other 2 computers be able to access each other?I know some of the nforce2 boards have 2 network controllers and ports,is that a similar kind of thing?any help would be appreciated.
Yeah I play a musical instrument. I play the fool.
LordRage

ethernet

Post by LordRage »

Yes it is possible as far as I know, but I dont know how you would set it up!
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
nicc777

ethernet

Post by nicc777 »

You will need TWO NIC´s in the ´Server´, and ONE NIC in each ´Client´ - giving 4 NIC´s. At about R150 per NIC, you are looking at R600. The ´Better´ way to do this is by getting a small HUB/Switch. I currently have a ´Edimax 10/100 8 Port Switch´, which went for about R900, plus in your case you will still need three NIC´s - one in each computer.
<BR>
<BR>Apart from the hardware, you should look at some software solutions. I assume you work on Windblows - which does have some ´Internet Sharing´ wizard ( I think win98 had this ). Anyway, I use Linux, and configured the Server with Mandrake´s Internet Sharing wizard, which sets-up a DHCP server and build the Firewall rules for NAT´ing. All-in-all, a 5 minute job - assuming you are running Mandrake already.
<BR>
<BR>On the Windows machine, make sure you install some kind of firewall, as you really want that extra protection.
<BR>
<BR>Cheers
If women didn\'t exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.
-- Aristotle Onassis