Digital Blasphemy via 35050

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Digital Blasphemy via 35050

Post by neon_chameleon »

Hands up for who's confused by the topic title?

Will put down your hands and I'll spit ya the facts.

I was watching tv eariler and noticed the commerical where you sms the words "Wallpaper 3D" to number 35050. I'm sure you have seen other adverts of theirs before.

Nothing special so far, right? But wait, these images are meant for the newer type cellphones that display 65000 colours or above. Here's the thing, the images shown there where images from Digital Blasphemy. For those of you not knowing about Digital Blasphemy (http://www.digitalblasphemy.com), they are website that collects and produces computer generated images for use in wallpapers or graphics on a private level. Now to me, aren't those images licenced? Even if they are using the "free" ones, surely they need some sort of agreement with Digital Blasphemy to publicly "sell" these images to cellphones users across SA.

What's your opinion?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Who cares?
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Asbestos

Post by Asbestos »

Perhaps they have an agreement? I doubt that 35050 is likely to explain their contractual agreements in their ads.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

i knew exactly what you were talking about as soon as i read it! i also noticed that... and i can guarantee you there's no agreement...
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

The last exemption is for Digital Blasphemy Members. If you would like to use my work on your personal web page, please sign up for my members gallery. Once inside you can register your site with me so I know who you are and where my works are posted.
*cough*
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Digital Blasphemy via 35050

Post by Synkronos »

I'd suggest emailing Digital Blasphemy and ask if they are aware of this. They have some of the most awesome wallpapers, so I would be very sad if they got screwed.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

I'm with Yoda - who cares - this is not our problem.

AngryRabbit has tried once before on a similar thing - when he tried to shut down that SA games distributor that was selling pirated games - he got nowhere! And wasted a lot of time!
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
Narkath

Post by Narkath »

I care. Not enough to do something about it, but I care.
Freely distributing stuff is different than making money out of it. Unless, of course, they know about it.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Hi guys, shot for the input.
NinjaTic wrote:I'm with Yoda - who cares - this is not our problem.

AngryRabbit has tried once before on a similar thing - when he tried to shut down that SA games distributor that was selling pirated games - he got nowhere! And wasted a lot of time!
A lot of these other topics on forums don't really concern us either, but thought this topic was significant to point out. Oh btw, NinjaTic were are you at the moment? You should have game to AngryRabbit's poker game at his house.

Yes I vividly remember Angry's thread, but think about it this way, one droplet can cause a ripple in the water. <- freshly made up chinese proverb. Maybe that thread has caused some long term effects or a people telling other people sort of thing, where they eventually lose in sales... so it's not vain.
Synkronos wrote:I'd suggest emailing Digital Blasphemy and ask if they are aware of this. They have some of the most awesome wallpapers, so I would be very sad if they got screwed.
and
Narkath wrote:Freely distributing stuff is different than making money out of it
Nicely put, that's why I care. I have been using their wallpapers for so long and for them to be "pirated" (written in inverted commas as no proof has been givem yet that they don't have an agreement) for a company that charges R5 per sms, isn't right.

Does 35050 has a website? Anyone know?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

errrr www.35050.co.za

and it took me all of one guess to find it... :D
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

ryanrich wrote:errrr www.35050.co.za

and it took me all of one guess to find it... :D
Hmm... :oops: Should have tried that before asking, oh well.

Now to find where it says "agreement with digital blasphemy" :)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

lol neon, if you can find that statement i'll gladly ship you a personalised noddy badge...
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Digital Blasphemy via 35050

Post by Azgard »

neon_chameleon wrote:Hands up for who's confused by the topic title?

Will put down your hands and I'll spit ya the facts.

I was watching tv eariler and noticed the commerical where you sms the words "Wallpaper 3D" to number 35050. I'm sure you have seen other adverts of theirs before.

Nothing special so far, right? But wait, these images are meant for the newer type cellphones that display 65000 colours or above. Here's the thing, the images shown there where images from Digital Blasphemy. For those of you not knowing about Digital Blasphemy (http://www.digitalblasphemy.com), they are website that collects and produces computer generated images for use in wallpapers or graphics on a private level. Now to me, aren't those images licenced? Even if they are using the "free" ones, surely they need some sort of agreement with Digital Blasphemy to publicly "sell" these images to cellphones users across SA.

What's your opinion?
I was thinking the exact same thing after I saw that advert a few days ago. They must other have an agreement with Digital Blasphemy or they hoping nothing will happen if they use those images.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

ryanrich wrote:lol neon, if you can find that statement i'll gladly ship you a personalised noddy badge...
Already got one :

skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

personally i wudn't use 35050 cos i think its a bloody rip-off, they are plenty of free websites distributing quality content.
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
reyals

Post by reyals »

Burn the capitalistic bstrds
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

reyals wrote:Burn the capitalistic bstrds
Was this comment of yours so vital that it needed to revive a nearly two year old thread?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Rikkelz wrote:
reyals wrote:Burn the capitalistic bstrds
Was this comment of yours so vital that it needed to revive a nearly two year old thread?
As far as can ascertain all 9 of reyals' posts were on REALLY old threads and then of spam quality.

pillock
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Somebody please drop something of explosive quality on Bloem.
FBiT

Post by FBiT »

Just ask Iceblade to sort him out... :lol:
1!f3 !5 t3h |335+i
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't....

Deviant