Some tips on working with perspex...

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Some tips on working with perspex...

Post by maxxis »

There are lots of people out there that are dying to mod a case by using Perspex. The problem is that the stuff is expensive and hard to work with if you have not worked with it before.

Here goes.

The most important thing to remember is to keep the protective plastic on the sheet until you are finished modding it.

The second most important. Perspex is fragile. It scratches easy and chips just as easy.

When drilling into it, it is better to use a blunt bit that sort of melts into the perspex rather than cutting into it. Reason for this is that there is a good chance that the perspex will chip when the bit goes through.

You cant drill a hole bigger. It causes major chipping and even cracking.

Plan what you want to do first, and then do it. Nothing sucks more than screwing up a sheet of expensive perspex.

Expect to pay about R 1000 + for a full perspex case.

To join perspex without seeing any glue marks you can use a product called Claritite. I dont know where to get it but it is a chloroform based glue with the viscosity of water. Hold the two pieces together and apply it with a syringe. This stuff bonds the perspex like crazy. Takes about 1 minute for a bond and 24 hours for maximum bond.

Dont ever use superglue. It eats perspex and leaves ugly marks.

Perspex will attract static electricity and dust. Clean it carefully.

Working with perspex has a lot of rewards and can be fun to work with.

Ask if you want to know more.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Oh and perspex is a terrible conductor of heat. Dont mount you motherboard on it. I had to abandon my modding project because of this.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

how do u soundproof perspex?

i want to install a window but still keep my machine quiet.