Artag's Rig

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Artag's Rig

Post by Artagra »

Just thought it would be cool to post some pics of my current setup. I wouldn't classify it as a 'mod', although I have made some modifications, and gone to a lot of work on the cabling. I often get queries about how to setup an efficiently cooled rig, so here's what I've done :D

Here is a shot of the interior of the case:

Specs:
Athlon XP 3200
1024 mb Mushkin 2-2-2 special (BH6)
X800 Pro IceQ (Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer)
Gigabyte NF2 ultra mobo
2 x SATA hdds
2 x PATA hdds
Floppy
CD-RW/DVD drive
Antec True Power 550

Cooling:
Thermaltake Tsunami
2x Thermaltake 120mm fans
Gigabyte 3d Cooler
Zalman Passive NB cooler
Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer
2 x 80mm fans in PSU (stock, for the moment).

Interior close up showing the Passive NB cooler, Ram and CPU cooler :

In this picture you can see the lengths I've gone to trying to sort out the cabling, sleeving everything and intelligently routing cables. All of the power cables run behind the drive bays and then come around for the four drives. The Fan cables run up to a small gap behind the PSU, while unused PSU cables are stored in the space above them. The extra mobo power connector runs behind the PSU, under then fan and then onto the mobo - this took me a while, as the Gigabyte has it in a rather daft place. Both PATA drives and the Optical drive have their own channels - ie one device per cable, which added a bit to the cabling. All the fan tails (and their are a lot of them - due to the fan controllers) are cable sleeved (black sleeve with black heat shrink), as are 90% of the other cables. I use the included cable connectors on the base of the case to route the front panel cables, and the top connector cables are currently unused and stored in one of the 5.25 bays. All of the molex connectors are switched for Black Vantec easy-connect molex's - makes a big difference (except the gfx power connector, which I switched for a standard black connector because the Vantec wouldn't fit). The CPU fan cable heads to the top of the mobo and then underneath, looping around to under the IDE cables and heading to the fan controller, and then back. The gfx fan cable is also hidden under the ide cables, getting power from one of the extra headers on the mobo.

You can see in the some of the pics that I have partially covered some of the internal surfaces using foam. This is to dampen the noise of the case, plus prevent reverberation. You can't see it, but I've placed foam on parts of both side panels to prevent vibrations, which helps a lot.

Now, the Tsunami comes standard with a 92mm fan on the side panel. However, this fan is obviously a source of noise, especially with their being a direct path between it and my ears. So, I decided I would do some kind of duct.

The first thing I did is remove a 92mm fan from it's fram, and mount the frame onto the side panel:

Then what I did is make a foam duct:

Why foam? Well, firstly it's cheap (essentially free), easy to work with, and looks relatively decent. But perhaps more importantly, it absorbs the fan noise from the CPU cooler, quieting down the system.

The duct in place:

The duct looks very skew, which is the one disadvantage of the foam - it takes a couple of tries to position it correctly. However, when positioned well it provides the CPU with cool ambient air, dampens the noise a bit, and looks pretty cool :D. CPU temps (idle) are currently 42c with the CPU fan at 1600rpm (standard RPM 2600 - more on this later). Without the duct or the 92mm fan temps where about 47c, and with both the 92mm fan and no duct it was about 46c - so it's made a great improvement, and decreased noise.

In addition to the duct, I've made some airflow mods in terms of cutting out the front fan grill and removing the fan bracket, and sealing all airflow paths except the ones I want using electrical tape. I will do the grill mod to the back, however I must first get a 120mm wire grill (would hate to kill my sister's Yorkshire Terrier!) and I need to work out a better way of cutting the grill out - maybe a hole saw.

The two 120mm fans are controlled by the PSU - the Antec has a temp sensitive speed controller that controls it's internal fans, and an option to control external fans. At idle they usually run about 1100rpm (5volts is 900rpm, 12 volts is about 3000 rpm and very, very loud), under load the fans peak at about 1600rpm - which, quite frankly, is too loud - I have some plans to sort it out which I will work on when I get a chance (either a fan transplant for the Antec's fans plus another fan controller for all four fans, or moving the temp sensor for the antec, or ducting the PSU some fresh air, or modding the PSU cover for a 120mm fan). The Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer on the same fan controller as the CPU fan, running at about 5volts - it's very, very quiet and doesn't show any of the PWM 'click' that you get if you run it using the header on the card. The fan controller I use is some cheap controller designed for the 5.25 bays that I have modded and installed internally - I don't change the voltages often, so I prefer having them mounted where people can't stuff with them. It's a real cheap controller that I chose because it drops to 3.75volts (well, more accurately about 4.5v, but it's still good). In future I'm planning to add a pair of Vantec Nexus fan controllers, and to put all the fans plus some CCFL's on them.

The money shot:

As the rig stands right now the temps are as follows:
Case: 37c
CPU: 42c
GPU: 45c (this with the VGA cooler running at about 45%, amazing really!)
GPU environment: 42c
Maxtor Disk 1: 36c
Maxtor Disc 2: 37c
Seagate Drive 1: 38c
Seagate Drive 2: 39c
The noise levels are very low - during the day I am only slightly aware of the system. To give you guys an idea of the overall system noise, it's about half the noise of a reference nVidia 6800 ultra fan at it's lowest setting - ie damn quiet :D ;)

However, the non-linear (and imo conservative) temp. ramp of the PSU means that the case fans and PSU fans sometimes spike higher than they should, creating more noise than I would like - hence I'm quite keen to do some kind of PSU mod / swap.

Feel welcome to make any comments or suggestions.

Artag
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Wow. Great job on the cabling. Looks super neat.

The only thing that I dont like is the foam ducting for the CPU. It looks a little gheto compared to the rest of the exceptionally neat case.

Congrats. Really nice.

I need to rip out the inside of my Antec again. Way too much crap on the inside at the moment. Just fitted some round Thermaltake IDE cables which made a huge difference on my noise levels. Dont ask why. I have no idea.
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

I need to rip out the inside of my Antec again. Way too much crap on the inside at the moment. Just fitted some round Thermaltake IDE cables which made a huge difference on my noise levels. Dont ask why. I have no idea.
Less restriction = less turbulance = less noise.

I am aiming to put in a more permanent duct - most probably something made from 90mm aluminium pipe with closed cell foam on the interior and brushed on the outside to match the case - will leave that till the holidays though.

Artag
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ge4ez, that's really nice. Also, you don't have a soundcard and modem there, I aimagine because it's all onboard? Very neat and nice to look at. I like. Tsunami Dream? Man, that's one very, very nice case you got there. That's the way a PC should look.
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

I wish my PC was quiet! It makes such a noise - You don't notice it when the PC is on, but when you switch the PC off then the room is so quiet and then you realise the noise that the PC makes!

I have done no mods (fanwise) ~ Will probly get there one day!

I can't figure which fan is actually making all the noise ~ I have tried listening to each fan on its own but I think that they are all teaming up on me!

I have 4 fans in total!

1 in the power supply, The one on the processor, the standard 1 thats in the case and 1 of my own which i just added recently as my 20gb started freezing up so I installed the fan directly opposite it!
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Nice job :!:

It look sweet and the cabling is very neat :wink:
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Neato Artagra :)

very slick cabling.
Tsunami case looks superb i must say.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

Love the Tsunami cases, also the new shark cases look so sweet 8)
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Ge4ez, that's really nice. Also, you don't have a soundcard and modem there, I aimagine because it's all onboard? Very neat and nice to look at. I like. Tsunami Dream? Man, that's one very, very nice case you got there. That's the way a PC should look.
The mobo has the nVidia Soundstorm chip onboard, so it gives amazing sound without any issues. No modem though - ADSL router sits by my sister's machine :D
very slick cabling.
Tsunami case looks superb i must say.
Ta, I know I can make some small improvements on the cabling though - I don't have any shots of it, but the back of the case is horrible <eek>

One piece of advice to anyone getting the Tsunami - get the black one! It definitely looks better, because all the different parts match up better colour-wise. The silver case looks great, but the black is even better.
I can't figure which fan is actually making all the noise ~ I have tried listening to each fan on its own but I think that they are all teaming up on me!
Try switching on the machine and heading into the bios, then stopping each fan one buy one (with your finger on the hub) to see which fan is the culprit. Also, try booting without your hdd plugged in - it often makes quite a bit of noise aswell.

Artag
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

Power cables to the mobo, did you pass them onderneath the mobo first?
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Power cables to the mobo, did you pass them onderneath the mobo first?
Nope - the main connector goes straight behind the drive cage and then back to the connector (it's on the right edge of the mobo), the secondary 4 pin connector goes behind the PSU, out from the PSU under the fan, and then across onto the mobo.

Artag
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

8O under the fan 8O
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Yeah - took me a while :D I tried it in four different routes before I noticed this tiny gap between the PSU and the mobo tray and though "could be... could be..."

Half an hour and the majority of the swear words in my vocab I had it routed and through :D

Artag
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

Geez dude, thats one neat job. I had the idea of creating a duct to channel air to the cpu, but just never got around doing it. I was going to use flexible tubing like the ones on vacuum cleaners.

think i'll consult with you when i build my next machine :)
Lee Mercer (Angel): This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin sent to kill the first assassin, who didnt assassinate anyone until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.
mRYellow

Post by mRYellow »

lol :lol: it looks like my case. I also have a Tsunami...but my cabling needs some work.

Artag, now all u need is a blue cathode light :wink:
ASUS A8V Deluxe
1gig DDR400
SG 120gig SATA
ASUS x800pro
Audigy 2
nifty

Black Tsu...

Post by nifty »

Hey Artag...

You wanna come rnd to my plc sometime and take some pics of my pc...I have the Black Tsunami and almost (but not quite) as good cabling as you...

It be sw33t.

Nifts
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Sounds like a plan :D

Artag
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Welcome to the E3 forums nifty. :wink:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
nifty

Post by nifty »

Thx Yoda :D

Happy to provide my superior input to these forums :-P~~~
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

all your posts will be a bit nifty me thinks :wink:

welcome the pcf!

:biggrin: