Vector Editors

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Vector Editors

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

What vector editor software do you guys and gals recommend when it comes to scanning and smoothing?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Scan you line art as bitmap tiff images and import into Freehand or Corel Draw.

Personally I use Freehand. I find Corel Draw too much of a hassle.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Why are you specifically after a vector package? Unless you specifically need to draw with splines and such, why not use a bitmap editing program?

I was never a fan of Freehand myself (bleh), but frankly I kinda don't much like vector packages anyway. When I first went freelance many years ago I bought the full Corel 9 package and now it just sits, unused and uninstalled, in its huge box on my software shelf. Maybe once a year I'll install it and use it to make a font.

Corel does have a Trace application for scanning though. It takes a scanned image and converts it to vectors... it's kinda messy though. Is this the sort of thing you're after?
human slave in an insect nation
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Leigh wrote:Why are you specifically after a vector package? Unless you specifically need to draw with splines and such, why not use a bitmap editing program?

I was never a fan of Freehand myself (bleh), but frankly I kinda don't much like vector packages anyway. When I first went freelance many years ago I bought the full Corel 9 package and now it just sits, unused and uninstalled, in its huge box on my software shelf. Maybe once a year I'll install it and use it to make a font.

Corel does have a Trace application for scanning though. It takes a scanned image and converts it to vectors... it's kinda messy though. Is this the sort of thing you're after?
I do use bitmaps. The thing is the size at which one can enlarge them is limited. I have CorelDraw8 but the OCR-Trace package is wasted. Like you said, messy.

It's not life threateningly important. I was interrested in what applications people use. :)