South-African War Game?

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
GrimStoner

South-African War Game?

Post by GrimStoner »

Recently there's been a lot of World War type games released.... Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, even Medal of Honour (although a bit far back).

How about creating a game about the Anglo-Boer war? I mean you can't get more South-African than that. You can have like boere riding on horses shooting with a selection of sannas, and play a role in major battles such as Bloedrivier. Or a part of the game you can be in a concentration camp... like Sloet Steenkamp, and you gotta escape.
Merckz

Post by Merckz »

If I recall rightly wasn't Bloedrivier between the Boers and the Zulus?
It would be a nice idea, but you can't really base a game around single-shot Martini-Henrys or spear wielding impis, not in fps - it doesn't work well. It would make a very nice rts or turn-based but we have enough of those already.

Anyway not many other countries really want to play South African history games and we don't have any local developers who could make a game like that.

It would be nice, any new genre other than WWII (which I love) would be a refreshing change.
Chromium

Post by Chromium »

I doubt a game like that will ever come in production,let alone sell...
"Life is but a tale by an idiot,full of sound and fury,signifying nothing" -Shakespeare
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Never going to happen.

Frankly the rest of the world isn't interested in a bunch of settlers having a violent tiff over territory. It lacks the excitement of machine guns, tanks and helicopters.

Having said that, I must agree that there are far too many WWII games these days... Battlefield Vietnam was great though :) Nice jungle warfare.

And if you want some great ancient battle gaming, try Rome Total War! I played the demo the other day - great stuff :)

Heh and yeah as far as I recall, Bloedrivier was between the Zulus and the settlers... I think... :) High school history was a loooooooong time ago.
human slave in an insect nation
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Well, firstly, the idea was not to market the game to the international community, even though the war did not only affect us, but also the English. And it doesn't matter how "local" a game is to a specific event, country or people, if it is a great game, everyone will want to play it. Even if the game doesn't make billions, it could show that the South-African game community actually exists and is able to create games of such a nature that people are willing to spend R200 to have it.

I would be willing to spend R200 on a game about my own country and heritage. Hell, I remember fights at school the day after Sloet Steenkamp would have another escape attempt the night before. That whole day the school would be divided in Boere and Souties, and every now and again a punch would be thrown along with a "Hierdie een is vir Sloet!!!". This doesn't also mean that the game would be limited to the stereotypical white boer age 30.

What makes an fps for me is a story line. Maybe we can follow the life of a specific person that took part in the war. Like, him and his 14 year old son leaving for war. While on one of the battles his son is fatally wounded, and later he receives word that his farm has been burned down, and his wife and daughter has been taken to a concentration camp, steering our hero to lose all foreboding and going on mission to save his family from the English. Maybe also it can't only be limited to playing as a boer? A couple of movie sequences here and there and presto!, a game that everyone can enjoy, if not for the gameplay, but for the story.

Oh, and the Bloedrivier thing... sorry, brainstorming does not include testing the historical correctness of the ideas that emit from your noodle.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Why don't you make it then?
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

Moses wrote:Why don't you make it then?
Come now Moses, play nice. 8O
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Demoraliser wrote:
Moses wrote:Why don't you make it then?
Come now Moses, play nice. 8O