I JUST GOT HIS IN MY MAIL - HOAX?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
po10cy

I JUST GOT HIS IN MY MAIL - HOAX?

Post by po10cy »

Here is a email i received:
FOREIGN EXCHANGE DEPARTMENT.
wont mention where he works
REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
ATTENTION:
My Name is wont mention his name here,I am the Chief Accountant of Bill and Exchange at the wont mention where he works here I got your email address while searching for trustworthy countries and individuals. In my department we discovered an abandoned sum of $25.5m (twenty five million five hundred thousand US Dollars). In an account that belongs to one of our foreign customers who died along with his entire family in september 11 plane crash. Since we got information about his death, we have been expecting his next of kin to come over and claim his money because we cannot release it unless somebody
applies for it as next of kin or relation to the deceased as indicated
in our banking guidelines. But unfortunately, we learnt that all his
supposed next of! kin or relation died alongside with him at the plane crash leaving nobody behind for the claim. It is therefore upon this discovery that I and other officials in my department now decided to make this businness proposal to you and release the money to you as the next of kin or relation to the deceased for safety and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming for it and we don't want this money to go into the Bank treasury as unclaimed Bill.The Banking law and guideline here stipulates that if such money remained unclaimed after four years, the money will be transfered into the Bank treasury
as unclaimed fund. The request of foreigner as next of kin in this
business is occasioned by the fact that the customer was a foreigner and a nigeria cannot stand as next of kin to a foreigner. We agree that 40% of this money will be for you as foreign partner,in respect to the provision of a foreign account, 10% will be set aside for! expenses incured during the
business and 50% would be for;me and my colleagues. Thereafter, I and my colleagues will visit your country for disbursement according to the percentages indicated.Therefore, to enable the immediate transfer of this fund to you as arranged, you must apply first to the bank as relations or next of kin of the deceased indicating your bank name, your bank account number,your private telephone and fax number for easy and effective communication and location where in the money will be remitted .Upon receipt of your reply, You can have my contact below on fax,phone,and also email address.the text of the application. I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any atom of fear as all required arrangements have been made for the transfer. Kindly reply back

Best Regard's

wont mention his name here
Is this even true? This is obviously a hoax right?
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Yes, it's a hoax.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Damn, i was really looking forward to seeing $10.2m in my bank account :(
style121

Post by style121 »

I think I must get about 3 monthly. All they want is a your ID documents, passport documents, and if you're dumb enough, a bank account number. Then its tickets for you.

Been going on for a while now, and if you haven't received one via e-mail before, then you're one of the lucky ones.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

What I have found that if some foreign person wants to give you millions of dollars then it is a load of bull.

Nobody is ever that lucky.

I actually forwarded one of those to an ex employer of mine just to get him back for the money he ows me. I think he fell for it or I hope he did.

Cheers
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

po10cy wrote:Is this even true? This is obviously a hoax right?
Isn't the word "Nigeria" indicative enough?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

No, give them all your banking details so they can steal your money without you noticing it.

DON"T BE FOOLED, IT IS REAL, YOU WILL GET RICH FAST, EVERYBODY GETS RICH FAST.

:roll: :wink:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Use some sense, yes the darkside is tempting, I KNOW, SO DOES ONLY1.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

obviously it was a hoax, i knew that from the start. I was just so shocked to see a email like this. People from Nigeria offering cash to someone they dont even know. Unbelievable.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

This is the old 247/249 scam, been around for years. I normally answer them with an enemies email address! Sometimes I bull them around for a bit, they get quite annoyed and send me stroppy mails back, most times though, there is no answer. :bomb:
NightStalker

Post by NightStalker »

Welcome 2 the world of spam, i get like 200 spam emails a day! :evil: